Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Connections through Madrid Airport

Connections through Madrid Airport

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 1, 19, 1:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST



Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 18, 19, 11:13 pm
  #556  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 566
Hi. First time connecting in Madrid.
Iím flying HAM-MAD-LPA and should be arriving in T4 and departing from 4S. How does transfer process work?
All flights are Schengen and Iím just curious if 4S has Schengen only gates? I though itís only for international flights.
Also is 1 hour and 20 min enough and will i have time to stop at the lounge ?
gateH15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 19, 2:24 am
  #557  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 274
Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
Hi. First time connecting in Madrid.
Iím flying HAM-MAD-LPA and should be arriving in T4 and departing from 4S. How does transfer process work?
All flights are Schengen and Iím just curious if 4S has Schengen only gates? I though itís only for international flights.
Also is 1 hour and 20 min enough and will i have time to stop at the lounge ?
T4S has Schengen only gates.

You'll have time to go to the lounge but you'll need additional 15min to reach the T4S gates.
schrodingerdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:55 am
  #558  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Posts: 2
First time connection

Hi!
This will be my first time travelling with a connection flight and I don't know the procedures.
Do I have to go through emmigration in Madrid? Is 1h10min enough to go from T4 to T4S? Will my checked baggage go directly to London?

Here's my info:
Portuguese traveller, flying from Porto to London, with connection in Madrid. Only one ticket bought from Iberia.
Arriving in Madrid T4 at 14h45 and departing from T4S at 15h55.
I will have one checked baggage and one carry-on.

Thanks for the help!
Vera Machado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 19, 7:16 am
  #559  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MAD
Programs: IB+, BAEC
Posts: 2,346
Originally Posted by Vera Machado View Post
Hi!
This will be my first time travelling with a connection flight and I don't know the procedures.
Do I have to go through emmigration in Madrid? Is 1h10min enough to go from T4 to T4S? Will my checked baggage go directly to London?

Here's my info:
Portuguese traveller, flying from Porto to London, with connection in Madrid. Only one ticket bought from Iberia.
Arriving in Madrid T4 at 14h45 and departing from T4S at 15h55.
I will have one checked baggage and one carry-on.

Thanks for the help!
First is your flight operated by BA or IB? If it's IB, the entire connection is just within T4. Otherwise you'll have to get the transit to T4S, but it's pretty quick and with an EU passport you'll pass through immigration in the E gates in just a minute or two. Shouldn't be any sort of problem on time.
LupineChemist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 19, 11:55 am
  #560  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Posts: 2
The flights are operated by Iberia.
I'm booking the flights through the British Airways website and it says I'll arrive in Madrid T4 and depart from Madrid T4S.
Vera Machado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:50 am
  #561  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 7,598
1h10 is doabie if you don't stop for duty free Enjoy the IB or BA "hospitality"
Palal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 19, 1:15 pm
  #562  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MAD
Programs: IB+, BAEC
Posts: 2,346
Originally Posted by Vera Machado View Post
The flights are operated by Iberia.
I'm booking the flights through the British Airways website and it says I'll arrive in Madrid T4 and depart from Madrid T4S.
If it's the IB flight operated by the widebody, then it will be T4S (the one that leaves around 1630 IIRC) otherwise will leave from T4. Sometimes it just defaults to T4S for non-Schengen despite the few flights that operate from T4.
LupineChemist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:34 pm
  #563  
pjs
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posts: 440
Next week, flying AA ATL-CLT-MAD and IB MAD-TLV all on same biz class award ticket with an 8 hour layover in MAD. Will check luggage to TLV. I have both US and EU (UK) passports. Arrive MAD around 8:30am. Was thinking I would enter Spain using EU passport (I assume that's quicker), store my backpack in T4, take the Express bus into town (as the Cercenias train is not going all the way to Atocha currently), take a self-guided walking tour past the Prado, fountains, Puerta Del Sol, Plaza Mayor, grab a bite at the Mercado and walk to see the outside of the Palace and gardens. Then get an Uber back to the airport around 1pm for my 4:10pm flight to TLV and exit Spain through immigration using my EU passport again. Hopefully that will give me enough time to shower/get a drink at the T4S lounge. Doable?
pjs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:45 am
  #564  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 7,598
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Next week, flying AA ATL-CLT-MAD and IB MAD-TLV all on same biz class award ticket with an 8 hour layover in MAD. Will check luggage to TLV. I have both US and EU (UK) passports. Arrive MAD around 8:30am. Was thinking I would enter Spain using EU passport (I assume that's quicker), store my backpack in T4, take the Express bus into town (as the Cercenias train is not going all the way to Atocha currently), take a self-guided walking tour past the Prado, fountains, Puerta Del Sol, Plaza Mayor, grab a bite at the Mercado and walk to see the outside of the Palace and gardens. Then get an Uber back to the airport around 1pm for my 4:10pm flight to TLV and exit Spain through immigration using my EU passport again. Hopefully that will give me enough time to shower/get a drink at the T4S lounge. Doable?
Definitely doable. As you exit at arrivals in T4, turn left an go all the way to the end to store your bags. Alternatively you *MAY* be able to store them at the lounge (which would involve an extra security check and some backtracking) and you can also obviously store the bag at Atocha.

As you rightly pointed out, I would NOT recommend taking cercanias from Madrid, but if the schedule is right, take it from the airport - there are enough trains between Chamartin and Sol.
Palal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:53 pm
  #565  
pjs
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posts: 440
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Definitely doable. As you exit at arrivals in T4, turn left an go all the way to the end to store your bags. Alternatively you *MAY* be able to store them at the lounge (which would involve an extra security check and some backtracking) and you can also obviously store the bag at Atocha.

As you rightly pointed out, I would NOT recommend taking cercanias from Madrid, but if the schedule is right, take it from the airport - there are enough trains between Chamartin and Sol.
Thanks. Will report back after with some feedback on this layover (unless AA screws me out of it).
pjs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 11:46 pm
  #566  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MAD
Programs: IB+, BAEC
Posts: 2,346
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Next week, flying AA ATL-CLT-MAD and IB MAD-TLV all on same biz class award ticket with an 8 hour layover in MAD. Will check luggage to TLV. I have both US and EU (UK) passports. Arrive MAD around 8:30am. Was thinking I would enter Spain using EU passport (I assume that's quicker), store my backpack in T4, take the Express bus into town (as the Cercenias train is not going all the way to Atocha currently), take a self-guided walking tour past the Prado, fountains, Puerta Del Sol, Plaza Mayor, grab a bite at the Mercado and walk to see the outside of the Palace and gardens. Then get an Uber back to the airport around 1pm for my 4:10pm flight to TLV and exit Spain through immigration using my EU passport again. Hopefully that will give me enough time to shower/get a drink at the T4S lounge. Doable?
You seem to definitely know what you're doing. I'd just add that it's very hot recently so be sure to schedule a shower after all that walking for your fellow passengers' sakes. But shouldn't be an issue with time at all. No traffic around that time so should be 20 mins max to get to the airport.
LupineChemist is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread