Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Different fees based on device type seems too complicated, the argument might be a cell phone wifi will use less bandwidth than a real laptop.

Some paid internet hotspots let you pick different speed connections & prices. They also let you pick hourly, daily, weekly. WN could adapt this to say this flight, remainder of your trip, weekly, yearly.

I think the right price is $5-10 per hour, 1hr minimum purchase, with the maximum purchase price being the scheduled remaining time of your flight. I don't think it's fair to charge a distance based rate. Why charge someone a distance based fee for a coast-to-coast flight when they only have an hour of work to do or an hour of battery charge in their laptop?

Once it's systemwide, I can see road warriors signing up for a $499/annual WN Inflight Wifi code that limits them to one pre-defined (but updatable MAC address). Or least sign up for single flight internet at the time of ticket booking, to save on documentation for expense reports.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:59 am
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by expert7700
Different fees based on device type seems too complicated,
Agreed. A flat fee based on length of flight is more straightforward.

Once it's systemwide, I can see road warriors signing up for a $499/annual WN Inflight Wifi code that limits them to one pre-defined (but updatable MAC address). Or least sign up for single flight internet at the time of ticket booking, to save on documentation for expense reports.
Once it is systemwide, I can see A-List, BS, and maybe even CP holders not being too pleased about having to pay for Wi-Fi.

Ideally, the IE sign-up screen for Wi-Fi should give you the option of entering your RR number, PNR, or credit card.

If you enter your RR or PNR (or maybe even your RR Visa number that's tied to your RR account), then the system should be able to tell if you're A-List/BS/CP and grant you access for free (or if "free" isn't an option, be able to draw funds out of your consolidated TTF balance).
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Once it is systemwide, I can see A-List, BS, and maybe even CP holders not being too pleased
From a business sense, I don't see the need to provide any additional services free to A-List, BS, or CP holders. There is $$ to be made with this wifi, and there is a considerable deployment cost that will likely cost years to recoup. I'm not ruling out the occasional one time promo code being mailed out with a Companion Pass card etc. But the interest lost or paid on the investment of installing and certifying the equipment has to be mind boggling.
And WN gets good press as an upgrade for rolling this out (even with high charges), but they'd get a bunch of bad press for raising rates or charging for a previously free feature.

I think the value of HAVING 100% wifi enabled flights will increase the Southwest brand name and encourage business & personal travellers to book Southwest. Super low cost or numerous ways to obtain it for free will not draw enough extra passenger revenue to justify the deployment.

As much as it'll stink to pay for onboard internet since I'd qualify under at least one of the categories you listed, I understand that Wifi is a new amenity, it's not a service required and will only benefit a certain # of passengers (those with devices charged and ready to use).

An attorney or consultant who can now suddenly find new billable time will not blink an eye at a sizeable fee. This is why I really like the idea of a monthly/annaul internet pass, allowing you to login with your RR/password (and not share that with your seatmates!). It keeps the purchase of internet invisible from each individual flight booking, and is a decision maker for when people are looking at other airlines (i.e. book me only on southwest because I already get internet from them).

Folks who want the wifi to post on facebook or twitter can still use this business service at business rates!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
As much as it'll stink to pay for onboard internet since I'd qualify under at least one of the categories you listed, I understand that Wifi is a new amenity, it's not a service required and will only benefit a certain # of passengers (those with devices charged and ready to use).
There's nothing wrong with benefiting only a certain number of pax.
Only a few of us are checked-in automatically and get free drinks, after all. WN needs to strengthen on-board elite recognition. Free Wi-Fi can go quite a ways towards compensating for the fact that there are no First Class upgrades and no way to redeem rapid rewards to fly CX in J to HKG and CEB.

Folks who want the wifi to post on facebook or twitter can still use this business service at business rates!
That's the thing also...internet access isn't just for business people only. It's a part of everyday life like cable TV.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: WN CP
Row 44 has received its permanent FCC license. Hat tip to Runway Girl:
I gotta jump out of my jolly holiday to tell you this - Row 44 has won permanent authority from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to offer its Ku-band-based connectivity service to airlines.

Here is the text of the Row 44 statement that is about to be released:
Row 44 Receives FCC License for its In-Flight Broadband System

Westlake Village, CA (August 6, 2009)--Row 44 Inc., a provider of satellite-based in-flight Wi-Fi for commercial aircraft, received a permanent operating license from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

This license, along with the license already granted to Row 44 in Canada and right to operate agreement in Mexico, allows the company to provide uninterrupted airborne Internet service throughout the North American continent. Already holding dozens of licenses for operations throughout the world, Row 44 is well on its way to providing global coverage for in-flight broadband.

"Today's announcement of the FCC's ruling signals a major victory for Row 44 and our airline customers in our vision of bringing affordable broadband to the skies," said John Guidon, CEO. "Ours is the first solution offering true broadband to airline passengers, both domestically and overseas, delivering an experience comparable to the high Internet speeds they enjoy at home and work. No longer will an airline be forced to accept an unattractive compromise between the performance it can offer and the service price it must charge. Achieving this critical regulatory milestone took us longer than we'd anticipated, but we believe our North American airline partners and their passengers will find this in-flight service well worth the wait."

While North American regulators do not currently permit in-flight mobile phone calls or SMS text messaging, the Row 44 system will support these services. The company intends to offer these services to their airline customers throughout the world, wherever such activities are permitted and requested by airlines.
Readers of RWG know what this means, but let's do a quick run-down of some key points nonetheless:

1) Row 44 is now the only Ku-band connectivity provider fully locked and loaded for business in the United States.
2) The company, which has been trialling its system on Alaska and Southwest 737s can now offer the service fleet-wide (if/when it gets the full green-light from these carriers).
3) The US in-flight Wi-Fi market, currently dominated by Aircell, now has some competition.

Let the games begin!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: WN CP
Runway Girl says big news may come today, perhaps within minutes:
A source tells me that Southwest is going to announce plans for equipping its fleet with Row 44 - TODAY! I'm waiting for confirmation, which could come in about 15min. Hold on to your hats!!!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is official. Fleet-wide deployment of the Row44 system starting in Q1 2010.

No word on pricing or how quickly they expect to have the fleet fitted.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:08 pm

Free Wi-Fi on flights should be considered in the same context as free internet in hotel rooms. At first it was a novelty but, with time, those hotels who don't offer it are at a competitive disadvantage.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by carraher
Free Wi-Fi on flights should be considered in the same context as free internet in hotel rooms. At first it was a novelty but, with time, those hotels who don't offer it are at a competitive disadvantage.
Except with these systems there's far more cost involved than a hotel. Supposedly each Row 44 dish costs $200,000. That's $110 million for their whole fleet for just the dish and installation costs. I think they said there's a minimal increase in fuel burn, so I'm sure that cost will go up.

I'd love it if there was free WiFi, but I just don't think that will be feasible given the cost. Perhaps they would make it free on some routes, say the <200 mile routes, but I just don't think it'll be free system wide.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:18 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I agree with tusphotog, while it would be nice if wifi were free, both the capital cost and operating cost of providing wifi on a plane is literally orders of magnitude different in cost compared to a hotel, hundres of thousands vs. thosands in capital costs and thousands vs. hundreds in monthly operating costs.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:17 pm

A while back I posted that SWA was looking at ad-supported wifi.

This article states it will be tested

I didn't realize the antenna was so big...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
What a drag......

(Cue drumroll.....)
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
That's no reason to drop it in the mud!

Sorry, your line recalled an obscure off-color joke from National Lampoon's Radio Dinner.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:53 pm

This article argues that pax are not willing to pay for wi-fi

Portfolio.com - Business-travelers-refuse-to-pay-airlines-for-wifi

""Things are even less rosy at Aircell's major competitor, Row 44. It scored a publicity coup during the summer when the nation's largest discount carrier, Southwest Airlines, announced it would offer Row 44's WiFi beginning next year. But as analyst Tim Farrar points out, the rollout is contingent on Row 44 raising money to fund the installations. And since its satellite-to-aircraft system costs upwards of $250,000 a plane, Row 44 will have to raise about $125 million to wire Southwest's fleet of 550 Boeing 737s.

"There won't be enough paying users of in-flight broadband for both network providers and airlines to make a profit on the cost of deploying equipment and running a network," he says. "Not in a million years.""

Looks like SWA might have been the smart pig in going slow and having the Row 44 share in the costing of the service.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Is anyone seeing more ships that appear to be outfitted, but not turned on? (nsx, don't go there... ) It would be one gauge of progress or delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.