Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by expert7700
If I came across the test aircraft when walking through the airport I would have gone up to the agent and said sell me a ticket for that plane, where am I going by the way.
Answer: Straight to the TSA for a little extra SSSS love and a short sit-down.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
Flightaware allows tracking of non-commercial aircraft by tail number, so I am not clear why they would not allow it for commercial aircraft if they had that info.
That must be due to security regulations.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:39 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by lougord99
It has been stated here ( I have no idea if the statement is correct ) that commercial aircraft do not register by tail number and so flightaware will not have that info. Flightaware allows tracking of non-commercial aircraft by tail number, so I am not clear why they would not allow it for commercial aircraft if they had that info.
When you file an airline flight plan, it is filed under airline/flight number and aircraft type. That is all ATC needs to identify the aircraft in radio conversations and tracking. Everyone else uses their registration as a call sign. I think Flightaware pulls their info from the ATC system.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by expert7700
I asked a gate agent in SEA this past weekend if they could find a certain aircraft # in their system to see the location/schedule, and they looked at me like I was a terrorist.
LOL!!

Originally Posted by SWABrian
Will Customers know ahead of time if they are on a Wi-Fi-enabled flight?Customers scheduled to be on one of the Wi-fi aircraft will receive an e-mail 24-hours prior to their flight alerting them to the fact that they have the potential of being on a test aircraft.
With the general public's apprehension/fear of flying, I wonder how this message goes over. "You will be on a test aircraft."
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:52 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
That must be due to security regulations.
CO shows aircraft numbers in some flight tracking applications (e.g., pda.continental.com).
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Diamondback
With the general public's apprehension/fear of flying, I wonder how this message goes over. "You will be on a test aircraft."
For some real panicked looks put the big "EXPERIMENTAL" sticker next to the door.

Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: WN CP
WiFi info pages are now live:

http://www.southwest.com/wifi/
http://www.southwest.com/landing/pop_wifi_info.html
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Any more info..?

Anyone else find a plane or route?

I need to go TPA-SAN next week rt and since I will be in Europe over the summer I can either start chasing CO Elite or I can hop on a WN wi-fi plane.. I'm just sayin.. incase someone is listening.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: SWA RR
Those pages so that wifi is being tested on four a/c. Does anyone know all of the a/c numbers?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Well, the first two were N901NW and N902WN, maybe that trend will continue?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:08 pm

Our friend Runway Girl blogs about a podcast and tweeted anecdotes from citizens of Twitteronia about the WiFi trial in her latest installment. Reports are mostly positive, though the podcast author had some difficulty using his WiFi-enabled BlackBerry.

Last edited by curbcrusher; Feb 23, 2009 at 9:16 pm
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:25 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Crusher,
I always thought of it as Twitterville.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:47 am

I like that - Twitterville!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by SWABrian
Crusher,
I always thought of it as Twitterville.
I'm not going to argue with Shaq Diesel.

I wonder if there has been any change in WN's thinking about in-seat power. The Customers interviewed in the podcast all felt it would be necessary for longer flights.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I was on a flight yesterday from SFO to LAX that had wifi support. I noticed the wifi sticker near the entrance when I walked onto the plane. The flight attendants made an announcement at the start of the flight announcing that this is a wifi enabled flight. She also made an announcement when we could take out our laptops and connect.

I was able to connect pretty easily. You do have to enter in your first/last name and your RR number.

My 2 friends and I were excited to use wifi and the flight attendant asked us how everything went at the end. We told her it worked well. It would be nice if this was free going forward but even at like $10 or something it's not too bad.

RVD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.