Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:17 am

I am very geeked up about getting to try this.

Is there a date set for the testing to end? I think it should be tested fleet-wide for at least six months before the fees start.

I'd love to try it this weekend, but I'm on F9 to SJD hopefully for the last time, or at least until we get the WN/Y4 codeshare.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by BNA-WNFan
I am very geeked up about getting to try this.

Is there a date set for the testing to end? I think it should be tested fleet-wide for at least six months before the fees start.

I'd love to try it this weekend, but I'm on F9 to SJD hopefully for the last time, or at least until we get the WN/Y4 codeshare.
The big factor about the length of the testing is waiting for the FCC to approve Row 44.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club Spire Elite.,Hilton,Rapid Rewards,AA
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Too funny....

I think I'd do this for long-haul only, and that may be the target audience obviously.

For anyone that's used it so far, are there any restrictions as to applications? (Skype, etc....)
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:53 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by CABNcrew
VOIP will not work and/or be allowed.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
So I finally listened to part of Red Belly Radio on this...and it says the Wi-Fi maxes out at 59 users.

Interesting. Guess it helps preserve speeds.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Paging SWABrian

Loyal FTers want to know the schedule for N901/N902! For the first/second day it was posted 2 days in advance. Can it be posted in this thread and be kept up to date?

Someone might just be inclined to buy a ticket to do an internet run, or at least change routing or flight times to get the 'good' plane
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:27 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by expert7700
Paging SWABrian

Loyal FTers want to know the schedule for N901/N902! For the first/second day it was posted 2 days in advance. Can it be posted in this thread and be kept up to date?

Someone might just be inclined to buy a ticket to do an internet run, or at least change routing or flight times to get the 'good' plane
I hear you expert 7700, and if I had access to that info, I would be happy to keep y'all updated. Unfortunately, I don't, and we had to call our very busy friends in Dispatch as a favor for the schedule the first couple of days. the other thing to keep in mind is that we can switch aircraft onto new routings pretty often, so just because the aircraft is assigned to a specific flight when the day begins, there is no guarantee it won't be changed during the day.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: WN CP
The test has generated a huge amount of interest. It seems to me that WN is squandering an opportunity by not planning and publishing the routings for these aircraft. I understand the Dispatch issues, but I would take a trip just for the WiFi test if I could do so at a justifiable fare (WGA). I can't justify such a trip at Anytime fares (which would have been necessary during the first two days) or as a shot in the dark.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
The test has generated a huge amount of interest. It seems to me that WN is squandering an opportunity by not planning and publishing the routings for these aircraft. I understand the Dispatch issues, but I would take a trip just for the WiFi test if I could do so at a justifiable fare (WGA). I can't justify such a trip at Anytime fares (which would have been necessary during the first two days) or as a shot in the dark.
Well I will pass your request on. I am just guessing here but it may be that for test purposes they want to see how an average flight responds, rather than have it full of "testers"? I did find this out from our internal Q&A:

Will Customers know ahead of time if they are on a Wi-Fi-enabled flight?Customers scheduled to be on one of the Wi-fi aircraft will receive an e-mail 24-hours prior to their flight alerting them to the fact that they have the potential of being on a test aircraft.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: WN CP
That's a start! Instead of shooting in the dark, I can just book each of the 200-ish flights a day ex-PHX until I get lucky and receive one of these "golden ticket" emails.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
well they ARE fully refundable tickets,right? I can only imaigne the humorous conversation if you called the 800# to book 200 flights a day and then kept moving the reservations a day forward if you don't get a golden ticket email. SWA would laugh a bit and deny the bookings under the 'prohibited bookings--speculative bookings' clause.

It's a shame that flightview doesn't show the aircraft registration #s.

I asked a gate agent in SEA this past weekend if they could find a certain aircraft # in their system to see the location/schedule, and they looked at me like I was a terrorist. If I came across the test aircraft when walking through the airport I would have gone up to the agent and said sell me a ticket for that plane, where am I going by the way.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 18, 2009 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I think the premium version of flightaware will allow you to track past and present flights of a particular tail number.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:02 pm

Okay, I guess I are smarter than I thunk. I heard back from Marketing and I was pretty close to the reason. This is what they tell me.

By telling Customers where the planes are, we wouldn't get a clear picture of how many carry on personal devices and log in as a result.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

Originally Posted by expert7700
...If I came across the test aircraft when walking through the airport I would have gone up to the agent and said sell me a ticket for that plane, where am I going by the way.
Line of the day.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx
I think the premium version of flightaware will allow you to track past and present flights of a particular tail number.
It has been stated here ( I have no idea if the statement is correct ) that commercial aircraft do not register by tail number and so flightaware will not have that info. Flightaware allows tracking of non-commercial aircraft by tail number, so I am not clear why they would not allow it for commercial aircraft if they had that info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.