Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
OK, this was the tipping point for me to sign up for Twitter. I accessed Southwest and elected to "follow" them/it. Now, will I get a "tweet" with announcements for flights with WiFi?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Not sure about that ( like you, I have never twittered ) , but you should receive an email from WN the day before a flight if it is scheduled to have WiFi.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by remedy
OK, this was the tipping point for me to sign up for Twitter. I accessed Southwest and elected to "follow" them/it. Now, will I get a "tweet" with announcements for flights with WiFi?
I am sure WN is glad that they are what finally convinced you to move to Twitteronia, and not Oprah and Ashton Kutcher.

For the past few weeks the test flights have been on a weekly schedule, and the last time WN tweeted that information was last week. I'm not sure why there have been no updates so far this week, but as our friend lougord99 already noted, even in the absence of tweets you should receive a golden ticket email if your flight is one of the lucky few.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:22 am

Tweet, tweet, tweet:
SWA Wifi testing flights for the rest of the WEEK! 933, 901, 978, 754, 437, 3510, 2789, 312, 776 (subject to change)
Old May 11, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
For this week:

Wifi flight numbers for the week: 1239, 655, 456, 543, 630, 379, 2993, 2906, 1500, 1587, 1674, 1005 (subject to change, wifi is currently free during testing).
Old May 11, 2009, 8:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ktremor
Wifi flight numbers for the week: 1239, 655, 456, 543, 630, 379, 2993, 2906, 1500, 1587, 1674, 1005 (subject to change, wifi is currently free during testing).
This makes me feel like the typical lottery player: a whole lot of numbers, but nothing that matches my tickets...
Old May 20, 2009, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Quite surprised to see the WiFi sticker while boarding my (currently in progress) flight today. This flight was not twittered to have WiFi, I did not receive an Email indicating that it might have WiFi, and today has not appeared to be a huge irregular ops day.
Old May 20, 2009, 2:44 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Quite surprised to see the WiFi sticker while boarding my (currently in progress) flight today. This flight was not twittered to have WiFi, I did not receive an Email indicating that it might have WiFi, and today has not appeared to be a huge irregular ops day.
Well sometimes, an aircraft will be late coming into service after overnight maintenance, and we will do an aircraft swap to prevent/minimize any delays. Or, last night there may have been an aircraft swap after the closeout time for the e-mail message. One advantage to flying the same kind of aircraft is the swapability of the aircraft.
Old May 20, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Hoping the same thing will happen to me on Friday.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:04 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

So where is the FlyerTalker who expected to have in-flight WiFi today, and didn't??
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
Using Wi-Fi on a WN flight (SJC-SNA) for the first time.
Pretty nice for a free service; entry of the RR number was optional.

Speed test shows about 30kbytes/s up and 300kbytes/s download.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 1:30 am

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
It sounds like most people have had pretty good luck with the wifi trial so far. I'm sorry to be the buzzkill and report that it didn't work out as well for me. I was on a SAN-LAS flight last week and saw a seat pocket insert indicating wifi was available. I tried it with both my ipod & laptop and each was able to pull an IP address but could not connect to anything.

I guess that's why it's still in testing!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:12 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, VegasCableGuy!

WN announced on its blog this morning that beginning June 24 it will test pricing for inflight Wi-Fi on its four currently equipped aircraft. The cost will range from $2 to $12 depending on distance and type of device used.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
So how does this work with an Iphone. If it is in airplane mode, will it still allow you to find a wi-fi network and use it?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:06 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by lougord99
So how does this work with an Iphone. If it is in airplane mode, will it still allow you to find a wi-fi network and use it?
When you first enable "Airplane Mode" the iPhone automatically switches WiFi to "Off" . .. . but, you can simply turn "Wi-Fi" right back on and it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.