Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Wi-Fi

Real pax testing to start tomorrow Feb 10 on 901.

Enjoy.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Hmmm...over the next couple of days my dad is flying PVD-LAS-LAX-SFO-MDW-PVD. I wonder if he'll get lucky.

Last edited by dwebb; Feb 9, 2009 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: WN CP
Aaaaand, we're live!

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/why-fly-wi-fi

http://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1195840523
Southwest tests the information Super Skyway! Wifi Test is here! http://tinyurl.com/d435k7 but, not part of my Twiddle mission #SWA
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:17 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson

There is also a video at the blog besides Steve's podcast.

(And my fellow FTers, we will be posting something this afternoon that a great many of you may want to participate in.)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by SWABrian
There is also a video at the blog besides Steve's podcast.

(And my fellow FTers, we will be posting something this afternoon that a great many of you may want to participate in.)
You mean a DO that involves Wi-Fi and the Sports Illustrated models? Sign me up!!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:55 am

Sorry Dan, it has nothing to do with SI, but will be way cool anyway. Here is another post from Angela Vargo, and I will post the flight numbers for today and tomorrow that will have Wi-Fi.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:14 am

http://ycorpblog.com/2009/02/10/sout...ifi-to-the-sky
Southwest brings wifi to the sky
Posted February 10th, 2009 at 9:08 am by Nicki Dugan, Blog Editor

The hallmarks of Southwest Airlines are boarding groups, open seating, and flight crews that burst out in spontaneous song. And now they’re beginning to add Yahoo! to that colorful mix.

Starting today, Southwest will be testing inflight wi-fi. They’ve equipped one aircraft with Internet connectivity (via Row 44) and plan to add three more before the end of March.

Yahoo! has teamed up with Southwest to build the free inflight homepage (here’s a larger screenshot), where passengers can find a host of things to either help them wile away the hours or bone up on their destination city.

Plug in your city name and you’ll find guides for the best shopping, restaurant and attractions. You’ll also get the latest in localized news, weather, and events like concerts and art exhibits. Gaming fans can choose from among more than a dozen Yahoo! Games. And a local buzz tag cloud lets you track the topics that are most popular where you’re headed – whether it’s fusion restaurants or IMAX theaters.

What you won’t find on any other airline is a cool new flight tracker that not only tells you where you are, it lets you explore places on the ground via geo-tagged photos posted to Flickr. And it’s all free. You just need a wifi-enabled laptop. [...]
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:22 am

It would be cool if the restaurants listed on the homepage were those from RR dining.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:58 am

As promised, these are the flights to which N901WN with the Wi-Fi are assigned:

TODAY

Flight 20 HOU – DAL – LIT

Flight 860 LIT – LAS – LAX

Flight 159 LAS – BUR – OAK

TOMORROW

Flight 1147 OAK – ONT – PHX (departing OAK at 6:45 a.m. PT)

Flight 1791 PHX – SAN – OAK

Flight 291 OAK – SNA – PHX

Flight 209 PHX – OAK

Flight 1442 OAK – PHX
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:18 am

Live on N902 as well

I've been lurking here for a while, but think this is a good time for a first post. I'm now on N902 SAT - SAN Flight 892 with Wi-Fi and the speed has been very good. I just watched an episode of The Office on Hulu, I've been on Gmail and Facebook a lot, and I'm getting onto our corporate VPN right now.

I can't wait until this is across our whole fleet, it really does make the flight so much better and so much more fun.

(FYI - It seems like half the people on the plane are on Wi-Fi now with no noticeable speed hit, including Gary Kelly, everything is performing great.)

-----
The opinions expressed here are solely my own and are not representative of Southwest Airlines Co., its Officers, Directors, or Employees.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thumbs up

Bra-vo!

Time to order that spare battery...

Last edited by Firewind; Feb 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Exclamation Good for you

No kidding, it's a good time for a first post.

You are the first in a huge way.

Congratulations.

Originally Posted by luvflyingswa
I've been lurking here for a while, but think this is a good time for a first post. I'm now on N902 SAT - SAN Flight 892 with Wi-Fi and the speed has been very good. I just watched an episode of The Office on Hulu, I've been on Gmail and Facebook a lot, and I'm getting onto our corporate VPN right now.

I can't wait until this is across our whole fleet, it really does make the flight so much better and so much more fun.

(FYI - It seems like half the people on the plane are on Wi-Fi now with no noticeable speed hit, including Gary Kelly, everything is performing great.)

-----
The opinions expressed here are solely my own and are not representative of Southwest Airlines Co., its Officers, Directors, or Employees.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:27 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Welcome to FlyerTalk, luvflyingswa! Quite a first post scoop!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by luvflyingswa
Welcome FT, luvflyingswa. Maybe after a few months of Wi-fi operations I won't get a blank look from the FAs whenever I mention FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
No kidding, it's a good time for a first post.
Second, but who bothers to count when you're busy WiFi'in' while defying gravity.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, and specifically our corner of it, luvflyingswa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.