Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:02 pm

I am not quite ready to start patrolling the boarding groups with a baseball bat and demanding to see passes. But I will admit that I will peep at the BPs of the people ahead of me. If they are higher than me I will just step in front of them. They really don't have a leg to stand on to prevent me from doing that. If someone gets indignant with me, I just ask that if the order really doesn't matter then why are they upset about me getting in front of them?

Mentally this is more of a regret-avoidance measure. I am usually in a window seat and I check in early enough that I can score a window on my flight. But one I was on a flight where a guy was in front of me who shouldn't have been. One we got on the plane, there was an exit row seat calling my name. The guy in front of me grabbed it. So I was pissed off at myself that I hadn't booted him back to his spot in the line. I hate being pissed at myself.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:37 pm

I don't get too worried if I'm A17 and I see A18 in front of me. What bothers me is the ones that are way off such as A30 in front of me, or even worse, someone with a "B" or "C" boarding pass. The worst part is that it's hit or miss as to whether the gate agent enforces these obvious violations. Last week I was standing in the front, but to the right (A31 boarding pass), because although I'm A Listed, I didn't enter my number 48 hours early. I looked at a couple standing in the very front and they had "B1" and "B2". They boarded first and the gate agent let them on. If I paid for BS I would have been pissed. The gate agents need to do a much better job at enforcement. On another flight, the gate agent told a "B" holder she was boarding "A" passes but when the lady started complaining she let her board. On my return trip last week I did see the gate agent block 3 people from boarding with the A group, but it seems to be hit or miss.

Why can't SW do what everyone else does, and forget lining up the BS and A List people, but just call us in groups? That would ensure proper boarding of the people who deserve it. Then have the rest of the passengers line up by boarding #.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris2142
Why can't SW do what everyone else does, and forget lining up the BS and A List people, but just call us in groups? That would ensure proper boarding of the people who deserve it. Then have the rest of the passengers line up by boarding #.
You'd still have a mix of GA's who enforce it differently and then you'd have 30 or 60 people cramming the gate area at the same time. (I remember the days before WN even installed the A/B/C corrals.) I think the current system gives people a good guideline that the vast majority of travelers follow well.

Plus you have the benefit of physically arranging people in a queue instead of a large mob.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: Southwest
You heard the clichés:

1. It doesn't matter, we are all going to the same place.
2. Plane doesn't leave until every is on board anyway.
3. What's the big deal?

These come out of the mouths of the line cutters that ruin the travel experience for them.

This all boils down to the enforcement by the gate agent. During my last flight from Tucson, the GA did a wonderful job by explaining the process.

"Here are southwest we board according to our numbers. You are either in the A group, B group or C group. At this time, I would like the A group 1-30 to line up on the right and the A group 31-60 to line up on the left. Line up in numerical order. If you are holding a B or C pass, remain seated."

"At this time, I would like to welcome our business select customers A1-A15 to board. If you are not holding A1-A15, please step aside in order to maintain our boarding integrity. Next, we will board passengers A16-A30. Again, if you are not holding A16-A30, please step aside so that we can maintain our boarding integrity."

During the connecting flight from Vegas, the GA also did something similiar and explained the process. Despite that, there were about a group of 3 guys that stood next to A1-A15 trying to cut in line. They had A34, A35, and A36.

To the right of me at the A29, there were 2 younger females with A46 & A48. I knew they were line cutters because they were hiding their passes and didn't want anyone to see what number they were.

The GA told the group with A34-A36 to step aside and wait their turn and the two with A46 & A48 to wait their turn.

There were no extra delays caused by this and everyone was on the plane in 20 minutes. That's why it's up to the GA to enforce the procedures. It makes the travel experience better for everyone. The BS passengers are valued. Those with Early Bird get what they paid for.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by lil Gophee
You heard the clichés:

1. It doesn't matter, we are all going to the same place.
2. Plane doesn't leave until every is on board anyway.
3. What's the big deal?

These come out of the mouths of the line cutters that ruin the travel experience for them.

This all boils down to the enforcement by the gate agent. During my last flight from Tucson, the GA did a wonderful job by explaining the process.

"Here are southwest we board according to our numbers. You are either in the A group, B group or C group. At this time, I would like the A group 1-30 to line up on the right and the A group 31-60 to line up on the left. Line up in numerical order. If you are holding a B or C pass, remain seated."

"At this time, I would like to welcome our business select customers A1-A15 to board. If you are not holding A1-A15, please step aside in order to maintain our boarding integrity. Next, we will board passengers A16-A30. Again, if you are not holding A16-A30, please step aside so that we can maintain our boarding integrity."

During the connecting flight from Vegas, the GA also did something similiar and explained the process. Despite that, there were about a group of 3 guys that stood next to A1-A15 trying to cut in line. They had A34, A35, and A36.

To the right of me at the A29, there were 2 younger females with A46 & A48. I knew they were line cutters because they were hiding their passes and didn't want anyone to see what number they were.

The GA told the group with A34-A36 to step aside and wait their turn and the two with A46 & A48 to wait their turn.

There were no extra delays caused by this and everyone was on the plane in 20 minutes. That's why it's up to the GA to enforce the procedures. It makes the travel experience better for everyone. The BS passengers are valued. Those with Early Bird get what they paid for.
There is no question that we all are advocating that the GA enforce the boarding order procedures. If they all did that, this topic would disappear. How to get the GA to properly follow SWA procedure is the issue here.

Off the wall idea?

Brian, this is directed at you (and up the food chain). If SWA posted the detailed boarding procedure online, I imagine more than a few FT'ers would not have a problem wandering up to the GA before boarding started and politely saying " Hi Bob/Mary, I just saw this boarding procedure posted on the website. I assume you will be following this procedure today? Thank you." Handing them the printout, and by acknowledging them by name (observed from their nametag), implying followup if it is not followed.

Not so off the wall?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Well, I don't have it printed out...........but that's what I now do on every flight--I go up to the GA, ask them if they remind fliers that boarding is in numerical order. I usually get a funny (bad taste in the mouth sorta) look, but they mostly say that they do. I then reinforce the fact that I'll be watching because "I've purchased EBCI and if people board out of order, then they & SWA are STEALING from me because I don't get what I paid for........."

I thank them, using their name, and go sit as close to the podium as I can, smiling.

It seems to get their attention. I see more line jumpers being asked to wait their turn than I did before I started this--AND--the GA explanations DO seem more detailed.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:08 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by irabk
There is no question that we all are advocating that the GA enforce the boarding order procedures. If they all did that, this topic would disappear. How to get the GA to properly follow SWA procedure is the issue here.

Off the wall idea?

Brian, this is directed at you (and up the food chain). If SWA posted the detailed boarding procedure online, I imagine more than a few FT'ers would not have a problem wandering up to the GA before boarding started and politely saying " Hi Bob/Mary, I just saw this boarding procedure posted on the website. I assume you will be following this procedure today? Thank you." Handing them the printout, and by acknowledging them by name (observed from their nametag), implying followup if it is not followed.

Not so off the wall?

Well we do have this on the web site: http://www.southwest.com/help/boardingschool/index.html Granted, it doesn't cover ECBI, but it deals with the boarding groups. The FAQ covers boarding procedure. And again, I know it sounds like a technicality but GAs do not handle the boarding process, it is the Ops Agent. Keep in mind that the boarding procedure was never designed to board A-16, A-17, A-18 etc in exact order. We should be boarding A-16 through A-20, then A-21 through A-25 etc. That should be enforced, but not the exact number.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:27 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SWABrian
Keep in mind that the boarding procedure was never designed to board A-16, A-17, A-18 etc in exact order. We should be boarding A-16 through A-20, then A-21 through A-25 etc. That should be enforced, but not the exact number.
Numerical order is not rocket science, and Southwest provides the ability to line up relatively precisely. Taking group A16-A20, the person holding A16 should be at the front post of the group and the person holding A20 should be at the back post of the group. A18 should be in the middle ... A17 should be right behind A16 and A19 should be right in front of A20.

When I hold boarding pass A16 I expect to be the first non-BS passenger in general boarding aboard that plane. If you're telling me it is perfectly acceptable for A17, A18, A19, and A20 to board in front of me, I have a BIG problem with that.

I suggested this before and others have made similar suggestions, you just need to put numbered pucks on the floor in numerical order, they can be slightly staggered to assure enough room for folks to stand on their pucks.

Numerical order is numerical order, why are you trying to make it more complicated than it is.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:28 am

looking for answer

I have never posted before, but looking for advice on proper boarding..... my husband is an A lister and we travel with our 2 yr old daughter. last trip from PHX to PIT while boarding I was cursed at by an fellow passenger, she assumed I was trying to board early because I was a parent. I had an A20 my husband had A16 and our daughter had A23. We use a carseat onboard plus carrying her and diaper bag I need to board with my husband. I feel the tension and anger lining up with SW everytime and didn't realize everyone wanted to see my ticket, how should I board to avoid the negativity? sorry so long....
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
Numerical order is not rocket science, and Southwest provides the ability to line up relatively precisely. Taking group A16-A20, the person holding A16 should be at the front post of the group and the person holding A20 should be at the back post of the group. A18 should be in the middle ... A17 should be right behind A16 and A19 should be right in front of A20.

When I hold boarding pass A16 I expect to be the first non-BS passenger in general boarding aboard that plane. If you're telling me it is perfectly acceptable for A17, A18, A19, and A20 to board in front of me, I have a BIG problem with that.

I suggested this before and others have made similar suggestions, you just need to put numbered pucks on the floor in numerical order, they can be slightly staggered to assure enough room for folks to stand on their pucks.

Numerical order is numerical order, why are you trying to make it more complicated than it is.
Exactly!

I firmly believe WN has it's head in the sand on this issue and has not intention of dealing with it.

Unfortunately,when they started selling EBCI,they just complicated matters if they don't enforce boarding order rigidly
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jacyrael
I have never posted before, but looking for advice on proper boarding..... my husband is an A lister and we travel with our 2 yr old daughter. last trip from PHX to PIT while boarding I was cursed at by an fellow passenger, she assumed I was trying to board early because I was a parent. I had an A20 my husband had A16 and our daughter had A23. We use a carseat onboard plus carrying her and diaper bag I need to board with my husband. I feel the tension and anger lining up with SW everytime and didn't realize everyone wanted to see my ticket, how should I board to avoid the negativity? sorry so long....
My suggestion,as we did this just last week,is to send hubby on board with the carseat.He can install it early and then your child boards with you. It also warns others who may not want to be near a child to stay clear of the area!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:20 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jacyrael
Quite frankly, the situation you describe is a no brainer, you want a full row of seats, you're not angling for exit row anyway, so just board at A23. Of course it's quite likely you would typically be more spaced out than A16-A20-A23, and in those cases the obvious answer is to have your hubby take the seat and you and the daughter board later and I don't think your husband will have any trouble keeping the row to himself until you get there as he works to get the carseat installed.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:25 pm

Well we do have this on the web site: http://www.southwest.com/help/boardingschool/index.html Granted, it doesn't cover ECBI, but it deals with the boarding groups. The FAQ covers boarding procedure. And again, I know it sounds like a technicality but GAs do not handle the boarding process, it is the Ops Agent. Keep in mind that the boarding procedure was never designed to board A-16, A-17, A-18 etc in exact order. We should be boarding A-16 through A-20, then A-21 through A-25 etc. That should be enforced, but not the exact number.
Brian, I understand the corporate thought process here. There is not much difference between A-16 & A-20. BUT, you then started selling EBCI, which provides a higher BP number. This policy needs to be reevaluated, taking EBCI in to account. If you are going to charge A-16 $10 for getting A-16 and then let A-20, who has not paid $10, get in front of A-16, there is a product problem. I can assure you that going forward, EBCI will turn into a can of worms. The target market for EBCI and the FT community are more closely aligned than most others, save for A-List.

I will agree, A-41 & A-45 are not much different, but below A-30, you have 3 different "premium" ticketholders, BS, A-List & EBCI. This is an issue that needs some of that famous SWA KISS. 5 comes before 6, 16 comes before 20. It's not that hard.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:29 pm

Just had another thought. Why did you (SWA) bother to introduce EBCI?

As I understand it, a) automated check-in, and b) better BP #. Right now, you are delivering a) but not b). Maybe the reason for introducing this product needs to be looked at in relation to the boarding procedure.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Keep in mind that the boarding procedure was never designed to board A-16, A-17, A-18 etc in exact order. We should be boarding A-16 through A-20, then A-21 through A-25 etc. That should be enforced, but not the exact number.
Well...................THEN FIX IT

That may have all been well and good BEFORE EBCI, but it doesn't cut it now that you're charging for improved boarding position!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the previous poster said, if I pay for EBCI and get A-20, then a non-paying A-25 HAS NO RIGHT TO BOARD AHEAD OF ME. For that matter, neither does another EBCI customer who has A-21, 22, 23.............45, 46, ETC. I "bought" A-20 and that's exactly where I have the right to expect to board.

I don't care if SW doesn't think it's a big deal---------I DO because it's MY MONEY!

SW is the one who changed the rules--NOT ME--so get with the program and make it understood that boarding is in numerical order, AT LEAST UNTIL ALL EBCI CUSTOMERS HAVE BEEN BOARDED.............. or hand me a $10 when I board AFTER a number behind the one on my boarding pass!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.