Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Old Nov 9, 07, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Cheaters... a rant

I flew from St Louis to Baltimore yesterday and my impression of Southwest's new system is that it is good in theory only.

I watched a few flights board. Here's my impression.

1) Don't buy Business Select (sorry SW, there goes your 100 million). Instead, just keep your boarding pass in your pocket and stand at the front of the A line. Everyone else did.

When my flight boarded, the 3 people in front of me had A30, A25 and A28. They were all business travelers like the rest of us but they apparently thought they were more important. So, they jumped in front of all the rest of us A-Listers.

I asked the gate agent 'What's the point of having numbered sections if you aren't going to enforce it?'. His response was one of surprise. He said he was. I said 'Look at those three boarding passes.'. He had a shocked look on his face and said 'Oh well, it's our first day'.

EXACTLY... you just taught some self important jerks that they can cheat.

Not only are they cheating me with my A18 but they cheated SW out of about $60 between all three of them.

2) Twirly signs with A1-30, A31-60, B1-30... give me a break. More manpower and confusing to the non frequent flyer.

Most of the normal people didn't understand why one sign said A1-30 but yet all these little signs said 1-5, 6-10, etc.

'What do I do?' is what I heard most often.

Please note that the A-Listers understood it perfectly and voiced their intelligence on how to cheat by just standing in Business Select with their pass in their pocket.

3) Let's see... supposedly I can sit and wait for them to call my group. Hmmm. If I sat until they called 'A 1 thru 30', then all of a sudden everybody would be a jumble trying to get in their place OR they would just flood the gate in any order.

Here is a suggestion.

Call Business Select A1 thru 15. Let them in the gate while checking their passes.

Then call A16 thru 30. Now we had warning since you just called Business Select and we are all in line appropriately.

Etc etc.

Get your act together SW.
Old Nov 9, 07, 11:01 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by MichaelFuller View Post
Here is a suggestion.

Call Business Select A1 thru 15. Let them in the gate while checking their passes.

Then call A16 thru 30. Now we had warning since you just called Business Select and we are all in line appropriately.
Excellent idea! Southwest lurkers, please forward this to gate operations.
Old Nov 9, 07, 11:46 am

Welcome to Flyertalk MichaelFuller :-: Very nice first post.
Old Nov 9, 07, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, United
I thought that the gate lice were bad on the legacies. I will be flying southwest on tuesday out of oakland. I cannot wait to see how things happen there.
Old Nov 10, 07, 12:30 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Legacy airline customers can crowd the gate, but only on Southwest is there an incentive to jump the queue or lie about an infirmity to pre-board. The legacy airlines have this interesting idea where you get your seat assignment before the flight boards! And frequent travelers get better seats! You can have your cake and eat it too -- just not on Southwest.
Old Nov 10, 07, 1:05 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justageek View Post
The legacy airlines have this interesting idea where you get your seat assignment before the flight boards! And frequent travelers get better seats!
Yup, the legacy airlines have such better ideas than WN ... how many years in a row has any US legacy airline been profitable for?
Old Nov 10, 07, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
Yup, the legacy airlines have such better ideas than WN ... how many years in a row has any US legacy airline been profitable for?
WN has done better than the legacies for the last two+ years primarily because of hedging the price of jet fuel. The recent 'innovations' are attemps to add incremental revenue, and just like the legacy airlines, many of these new ideas will be scrapped.
Old Nov 10, 07, 8:45 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by lstheodore View Post
just like the legacy airlines, many of these new ideas will be scrapped.
Indeed, it's possible. More Room Throughout Coach anyone? That was one that travelers loved, but it was a financial failure. This one might be the opposite.
Old Nov 12, 07, 4:11 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.

1. They initially allocated 15 slots to BS
While I am convinced that they will never get 15, initially they clearly will not get 15. Everyone above that gets upset when they are really 12-15 slots ahead of where they think they are. Many posts on here have said they are leaving SWA because they are A-list ( one of SWA's best customers) and they have gotton this lousy A-17 pass. It would have been better to turn down some business plus fares ( everyone else has a limit to their highest priced fares) than to make everyone else think they are at the end of A boarding.

2. GA's are clearly ( IN GENERAL) not enforcing boarding by groups of 5.
If you ain't going to enforce it, don't pretend to do it. This deal only works ( and I am not convinced that it will anyway ) if the rules are enforced. NSX rightly pointed out that this new system will increase people falsely contending that they need to pre-board. Well, that will not be necessary if any of us can simply step into the A-1-15 area and the GA will not say a word. Yea, it is tough at first for the GA's. GA's do not want to make scenes. But if you do not enforce it, we will ALL abuse it.
Old Nov 12, 07, 4:50 pm

Programs: WN, BA, Kimpton Hotels, Starwood Hotels
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
2. GA's are clearly ( IN GENERAL) not enforcing boarding by groups of 5.
If you ain't going to enforce it, don't pretend to do it. This deal only works ( and I am not convinced that it will anyway ) if the rules are enforced. NSX rightly pointed out that this new system will increase people falsely contending that they need to pre-board. Well, that will not be necessary if any of us can simply step into the A-1-15 area and the GA will not say a word. Yea, it is tough at first for the GA's. GA's do not want to make scenes. But if you do not enforce it, we will ALL abuse it.
I honestly don't think they ever said they were going to board in groups of 5.
They said you will line up in groups of 5 . . and then they board in groups of 30. The overhead signs say "Now Boarding A 1 - 30" not "A 1 - 5".
Old Nov 12, 07, 6:12 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by peanutsplease View Post
I honestly don't think they ever said they were going to board in groups of 5.
They said you will line up in groups of 5 . . and then they board in groups of 30. The overhead signs say "Now Boarding A 1 - 30" not "A 1 - 5".
WRONG!! You are wrong in so many ways. If BS cannot board ahead of all us peons and A-list peons, then why did they pay extra for business select. If A-list cannot board ahead of all us other A peons the why does A-list exist.
Old Nov 12, 07, 6:42 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Southwest is aware of the problem. I'm confident that the Operations management will get the word out to the Gate Agents within a couple days. It may be that Southwest will need to bring some extra manpower to the gates to get this under control, just like they have done in organizing the security lines when they get long.
Old Nov 12, 07, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Southwest is aware of the problem. I'm confident that the Operations management will get the word out to the Gate Agents within a couple days. It may be that Southwest will need to bring some extra manpower to the gates to get this under control, just like they have done in organizing the security lines when they get long.
i'm sure that wn agents are trained and well aware of the new policy. they just either chose to disregard it or wait until a BS flyer or an A lister gets angry verbally.

i really don't see what's so hard to say something like "if you are holding boarding pass # so and so (in groups of 10), you can now board". if someone tries to squeeze in between BS and A listers, tell them to go back out until their number group is called.
Old Nov 12, 07, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I think that once all of us SWA regulars have done the new boarding procedure a few times that there will be enough people who know what to do that it will start working a lot better.
Old Nov 12, 07, 8:14 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Observations on 11/10 (LAX) and 11/12 (LAS)

At LAX Saturday, the GA sent two pax back to their numerical place in line when they were approximately 20 positions out of sequence.

At LAS this morning, there was a WN agent walking through the gate area before boarding began, explaining the new boarding procedure to pax. Everyone was seated and orderly while I was in the boarding area. There was 1 person in the A1-5, A6-10 and A11-15 group boarding positions. The gate agent called for A1 to A15 as the first boarding group after the preboards. After the one person boarded, the agent called for A16-30. I was in the A16-20 group and was the third person to board the plane.

I agree that except perhaps for high density business routes (SFO-LAX comes to mind), I don't expect to see 15 people in the A1-15 boarding section for a long time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: