Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
I agree and have stated that enforcement to me is a BIG ISSUE. However the funny thing is most of the Yahoo's who break in linehave no clue what the GOOD SEATS are. Flying back the other day a gentleman who was A1 sits down in the seat in front of the exit row with a non-reclining seat. I laughed a little inside this guy thought he was getting the "GOOD SEAT" and in reality was not.

But there the guys who knwo the DRILL and push the issue they are the main reason why SWA needs to enforce the boarding order.
\
It has been stated before but if they put your STATUS on your BP then call up one at a time this issue would almost go away and boarding would not take any longer.

To me status boarding is no different than BLUE SLIP preboarders. It will take all the jockeying away form the masses
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Wow, you have to be a gate agent's worst nightmare... Let them do their job. The last thing they need is a passenger telling them how to do their job.
Really? Even when they're not doing their job properly?

We should all allow/condone/accept a job being done poorly, or with poor consequences for the paying customer, rather than speak up in real time?

We should HOPE against hope that these inconsequential threads will magically create consistency in people who, having received no feedback on their performance from their customers, go along merrily believing that because no one has said otherwise, EVERYTHING IS OK????

Gee, is it alright if I praise a GA for doing a good job of keeping the line properly ordered, or for giving great instructions for lining up? Or is that just............what, patronizing?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swaluvr
Really? Even when they're not doing their job properly?
There's a fine line.

Sure, if chaos is reigning, the GA is allowing a heaving disorganized mob to storm the gate with no order at all....then yes, I'd be tempted to say something.

If I'm A32 and I notice A33 boarding ahead of me? No, I doubt I'd go ballistic about that. I guess I'm just not quite that high-strung about it.

I still go back to the fact that in practice, as opposed to in this thread, Southwest boarding is actually quite peaceful and organized. Moreso than some of the legacies. I think they've hit upon a good system that arranges people into queues without being militaristic about it.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by FirstClassGuy
Maybe it is because I fly on WN twice a week and have way too much time on my hands waiting for flights but I did a study over three months of the supposed diasabled boarding groups out of SMF. Since I am a CP and A lister I usually always get a good seat. what confused me was the amount of folks who needed preboarding then when the plane landed they bolted out of the plane like OJ Simpson in those old Hertz commercials. I tracked these folks and sent the results to SWA customer service. 82% of those folks who preboarded exhibited the land and run behavior. I was told by SWA that they have to take a persons word that they need pre boarding. I also suggested that in the interest of these folks safety if they require extra time boarding then they should probably stay on the plane till the others have deplaned so they have plenty of time to get off of the plane without being pushed or in a clump of folks. SWA told me they could not do that as well. Surprisingly after I received the email this arbritary pre boarding came to a sudden halt and the incidence of this activity has dramatically reduced. Coincedence? I would encourage all of you who are frusted to write to the SWA custmer service and voice your issues.
Well, after 2 1/2 years' absence, look who has made a re-appearance at FT again!

Thanks to you-know-who for pointing out this post in the WN forum--I never would have seen this!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I haven't seen a boarding order enforcement problem in many months. The ops agents are doing their jobs and the passengers only rarely try to scam them. The professional scammers (feigning ignorance) are completely gone on my flights.

Thanks to Southwest for fixing this! And thanks for fixing Fly By Lane enforcement too!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by nsx
I haven't seen a boarding order enforcement problem in many months. The ops agents are doing their jobs and the passengers only rarely try to scam them. The professional scammers (feigning ignorance) are completely gone on my flights.

Thanks to Southwest for fixing this! And thanks for fixing Fly By Lane enforcement too!

On my BWI->ALB flight on Sunday, the Gate Agent had an interesting addition to the standard boarding procedure spiel. On both flights for which I was at his gate, he said "Folks, we here at Southwest have gotten a lot of requests from passengers to line up in numeric order, so that's just what we're going to do. Please line up in numeric order, make a new friend or two, and we can all get on the plane happily."

There was also a passenger who took it upon herself to enforce the numeric order, telling an elderly passenger who had A-20-something (not quite politely) that she needed to move down the line a bit more when she lined up around 10.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:02 pm

Boarding etiquette for friend flying on same flight

I'm A55, Friend who is one the same flight is a B24.

Now, these tickets were separately purchased.

Etiquette wise, is it appropriate to let the friend line up with me?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mikejz
I'm A55, Friend who is one the same flight is a B24.

Now, these tickets were separately purchased.

Etiquette wise, is it appropriate to let the friend line up with me?
No. You're welcome to hang back with your friend at B24, or to board at your normal position and make an attempt at saving him a seat. How well that will work for you is debatable.

The fact that your friend has a friend on the same flight doesn't entitle him to jump ahead of 29 other passengers.

*hopefully*, the Gate Agent would tell your friend to wait until the B group if he presented his boarding pass while the As were boarding.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:38 pm

Reason I ask is that I recall hearing references to 'you can board with the lowest number in your boarding party'
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mikejz
Reason I ask is that I recall hearing references to 'you can board with the lowest number in your boarding party'
Yes. Lowest meaning "worst". B24 is lower than A55.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx

I have noticed this as well. I hope that it is a trend and not an anomaly.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: WN A-List, CP; EK Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
And thanks for fixing Fly By Lane enforcement too!
I still see spotty Fly By Lane enforcement. Some airports are great, some not. We still have never had any "official" word on who is supposed to manage/enforce the lanes.

Do you have any scoop that WN has taken corporate action to better enforce lanes or is just your recent experiences that Lanes are better?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by 6Strong
Do you have any scoop that WN has taken corporate action to better enforce lanes or is just your recent experiences that Lanes are better?
No inside info. OAK and LAX lanes are consistently either enforced or closed off. That's exactly as it should be.

And I used the priority baggage check lanes a few times recently. They are wonderful. I can now check a bag whenever I want to, adding only 3 minutes at the front end and maybe 15 on the back end of my trip.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: WN A-List, CP; EK Gold
Agreed -- priority baggage lanes are great where available. If I don't have a meeting soon after arrival, I'm checking bags more often. It's great to go through security and fly with nothing to carry but a blackberry and paperback.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:49 am

Lately I have seen something new: families are requesting pre-boarding passes. I am very familiar with the Asian-style pre-boarding - one elderly in wheelchair, 6-8 relatives boarding with him/her, but it is new for me, here, in the US. These families here do not even pretend to be in any special need, not even having small (under 2yr) kids, who would require more time to board with, simply gaming the system.

Last edited by pirossalma; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.