Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
With 1.6 million flights a year across 550 planes - I would expect there to be some issues, fines, etc. Not saying it is okay, but sometimes stuff happens.
Just a very cursory analysis, but since 2009, there have been 5 notable decompression events among US carriers. 3 have occurred on Southwest planes, 1 on Allegiant, 1 on Envoy dba Delta connection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncont..._decompression). I'm no statistician, but DL/UA/AA combined have far more flights & planes, yet none of these events. The possibilities I see are:
  • the 737 has some underlying engineering defect, but then we should see similar failures on 737s of other carriers
  • Southwest has some darn awful luck, having these events occur to them
  • Southwest has some issues with maintenance not properly taking care of their fleet
Yes, sometimes stuff happens, but why are these events occurring more often on Southwest than other US airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Just a very cursory analysis, but since 2009, there have been 5 notable decompression events among US carriers. 3 have occurred on Southwest planes, 1 on Allegiant, 1 on Envoy dba Delta connection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncont..._decompression). I'm no statistician, but DL/UA/AA combined have far more flights & planes, yet none of these events. The possibilities I see are:
  • the 737 has some underlying engineering defect, but then we should see similar failures on 737s of other carriers
  • Southwest has some darn awful luck, having these events occur to them
  • Southwest has some issues with maintenance not properly taking care of their fleet
Yes, sometimes stuff happens, but why are these events occurring more often on Southwest than other US airlines.
Gotta agree here. Looking through a search of AvHerald shows there are numerous frequent losses of cabin pressure on Southwest specific airliners that obviously rarely ever make the news. I haven't looked at other carriers, but the amount of incidents attributable to loss of cabin pressure, engine problems, and other mechanical related incidents is quite large compared to what I would expect to see...maybe I'm wrong, but it seems high. (Note: many of the extra cases aren't "Southwest" aircraft, when one searches AvHerald for Southwest Airlines, it pulls up any incident with the words "southwest" and "airline" in it which includes direction from airport, etc. Also, that obviously there are things like Bird Strikes and Tail Strikes included as well which isn't relevant)

The Aviation Herald

The FAA also seems to have slapped more fines on WN than anybody else...though somehow not G4 after that damning report on 60 minutes. The 300s clearly were responsible for many of the issues, but as some of their 700s get to the latter stages of their lifespan, they seem to be having their fair share of troubles.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Southwest has some issues with maintenance not properly taking care of their fleet.
Way too speculative.

The engine in question had had 40,000 cycles. It's flown 10,000 cycles since its last overhaul.

Others can weigh in on whether these intervals are industry norms.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Way too speculative.

The engine in question had had 40,000 cycles. It's flown 10,000 cycles since its last overhaul.

The cycles since new is irrelevant. What matters is cycles since last overhaul and the cycles on certain components. 10,000 cycles since last overhaul is about 3/4 of the time to the next overhaul, although that can vary based on many factors.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Way too speculative.

I won't lead anybody to conclusions...but here is a great presentation about CFM Engines and life cycles/overhauls. Particularly slides 37+

https://airfinancejournal.com/docs/e...nganengine.pdf

10000 isn't inordinately high, but the older an engine, the more often it needs to come in as CFM describes (CFM says the length should be .6x-.7x the original length before first overhaul as its life goes on). Would be interested to see how often this puppy was overhauled in the past, as I'm sure NTSB will delve into.

Also of note: NTSB noted in their press conference that a blade is missing (which can be confirmed in footage/pics they have posted), and the NTSB guy at the press conference even said there were signs of metal fatigue... it will be interesting to see where the fault lies in not catching that if true
LegalTender and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Was there something else the person filming could have done instead? Seems like he was/could be communicating to love ones via Facebook/SMS/iMessage/WhatsApp etc. If accident was fatal, video could have been useful to accident investigation. So I would say kudos to the guy.
Probably should have listened to the safety info and covered his NOSE and mouth with the H2O mask. Just sayin.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Two uncontained engine failures within 2 years, same airline, same plane type, same engine type should get the attention of the NTSB.

Sadly, and with no intended disrespect, I think -- statistically -- Southwest was overdue for a fatal accident.

Kudos to the crew for the safe landing.
These turbo-fan engines are made by CFM. In both incidents it appears a fan blade separated (not the internal compressor or turbine blades). There a number of things that should be looked at. Is there a fundamental design or manufacturing flaw, was there a bad batch of metal, was Southwest performing the proper inspections and/or maintenance, and is there any inspection process that could determine unacceptable metal fatigue?

I'm going to let the investigation play out before I make any wild guesses.
SoonerRed and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yeah, I can only say for myself that I'm likely too damn big of a person to fit out a 737-700 window (roughly 10 inches by 14 inches). One of my limbs or my head/neck could go out, but my shoulders/trunk are likely too large to fit out of a window, even with significant force, as long as the fuselage remains intact and does not bend/warp. At 10 inches by 14 inches, I'm guessing many adult human beings are also similarly too large to go through just a 737 window.
Even if only your head goes out the window of a plane going 500 mph at 32,000 feet, you're likely dead. Your head is entering a 500-mph wind. Your neck would likely break in an instant. This isn't sticking your head out the window of a car on the highway. @:-)
EmailKid and edvasquez like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL, AA
My most sincere condolences to family and friends of Jennifer Riordan.

Woman killed in jetliner explosion was from Albuquerque - KRQE
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:26 pm

No WiFi today

Originally Posted by 318i
At least the rapid decompression didn't take out the WiFi...
Did anyone else's flights (after the accident) today have their WiFi disabled?

Both my flights (STL to DAL and DAL to IND) had the wifi disabled.
1st leg, the AP was turned off (no wifi signal). 2nd leg, there was wifi signal, but the FA announced there was no wifi available.

Would of been nice to communicate in air with my spouse, as she didn't know my itinerary today.

Last edited by par38lamp; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:27 pm Reason: Type
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Even if only your head goes out the window of a plane going 500 mph at 32,000 feet, you're likely dead. Your head is entering a 500-mph wind. Your neck would likely break in an instant. This isn't sticking your head out the window of a car on the highway. @:-)
Someone on another forum had posted this and I wanted to repost it here. The effects of being sucked out through the window are, in a word, horrifying.

"That pretty much is a 100% fatal event. When this happens you are sucked out though a window in about half a second that you normally could not force yourself out of even if you tried very hard. So it is breaking shoulders, clavicles, arms and probably some ribs and maybe even her neck just doing that. Now the top half of her body is suddenly in 500 mph wind. The force on this of a body stuck there is almost impossible to imagine. The wind has enough force to tear exposed skin. Her arms would suddenly flail so hard the would be shattered in several places. It is almost certain her neck would have been broken. Eye lids could be torn and her jaw dislocated just form the force of he wind. Not to mention the air doing all that is about -30F degrees and can freeze her skin in seconds. I am sure that just to get her back in took a few people pulling on her like hell."
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
Probably should have listened to the safety info and covered his NOSE and mouth with the H2O mask. Just sayin.
Did you hear/see any safety info in the Facebook recording posted?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tahitigirl
That was the first thing I noticed about the video/screen cap also. :-/ But to be fair, the woman behind him had it on the same way...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
At 30,000 feet seat belt signs would be off and mid flight service would have begun.
Seatbelts are also designed to keep you from breaking your neck on the cabin ceiling in turbulence, not necessarily keep you entirely in the plane if the window right next to you blows out.

For all we know the seatbelt was all that kept her from being completely sucked out of the plane in the first place. It's certainly possible if your cabin window fails for you to be both in your seat and partially sucked into the now-open window.
wrp96 and ACCDraw like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
I’m always curious to read if any FTers were on such an flight.

News tonight reports the the plane was just inspected on 4-15. Hopefully the NTSB does not find any issue that relates to that.

May she RIP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.