Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Class? I recall reading of multiple FAA fines against Southwest due to maintenance issues.
I'm sure (I hope) the details come out that indicate whether this was due to a preventable maintenance item or not. But I still think the CEO's statement is a better PR way of handling a crisis than we've seen other airlines do recently (eg United and its many crises).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What else are you gonna do as you plummet to your possible demise?

Maybe that video/audio recording could help the NTSB figure something out about the incident. Who knows?
Contrary to what news is reporting of a free fall it was actually a rapid controlled descent due to the cabin depressurization. At cruising altitude the atmospheric pressure and conditions would be insufficient to support meaningful consciousness beyond a couple minutes, even with the oxygen masks. If they were truly plummeting, the G forces and the lack of adequate pressure would have knocked everyone unconscious during the approximately 3-4 minutes of free fall before crashing into the earth's surface.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
^ I'm impressed with how quickly they got this out, and the fact that he delivered it on video instead of just issuing an impersonal news release or tweet.
Likely the video is part of a public relations procedure already planned out for such crisis moments. I found the message cold, corporate and legal.

At the 30 second mark he emphasizes, with shoulder flair, no other reports of injuries. Hmmm....
joshua362 and ACCDraw like this.

Last edited by GarlicFlyer; Apr 17, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ehallison
I'm impressed with how quickly they got this out, and the fact that he delivered it on video instead of just issuing an impersonal news release or tweet.
I would guess every airline today has some sort of prepared & rehearsed script at the ready where they can drop in details if and when the sad day comes. Especially with today's social media expectations. Just part of the invitable emergency plan. Certainly a nice touch but there is little they can do but offer words and thoughts. Sad for the passenger's family obviously and the end of WN's non fatality in the air streak.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
https://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php

Sounds like the pilots remained remarkably calm -- it also appears that the captain and co-pilot switched-off.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Looking at the Flightaware data..admittedly not exactly the most accurate... it appears the event took place at roughly 32,000ft while in climb mode to a filed 38. And the engines would have been in a climb condition so running a bit harder than at cruise. I am no engineer, but considering that debris was moving with enough energy to penetrate the fuselage it must have been quite the "uncontained" explosion.

I keep thinking of UA232, where an uncontained engine failure (tech speak for large explosion) caused debris to sever hydraulic lines. In that case, all 3 redundant systems in the tail of a DC10.

I don't think the details of this incident are in or even totally known at this point before the NTSB looks at it, but I would be curious as to what other damage the explosion may have caused to flight control, fuel tanks/lines, and hydraulics. This could have been WAY worse.
CDTraveler and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by steved5480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2rC1deJd0

How many OTHER airline CEOs have this much class?
Thank you for sharing the video. My condolences to his existence family. He will be missed. May him rest in the peace forever. RIP.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at the images and video it seems the fuselage and windows aft of the failed window look to be covered in a red substance. Could that be blood?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
He didn't have to be filming anything. That's my point. I'm sure there are other things that could be done like listening for crew instructions, stowing away loose items (like cellphones), etc. But that's just my opinion
I heard an interview with the guy who started streaming live on FB after the explosion. He said he, like other passengers, believed they were about to die and he wanted to say good-bye to his loved ones. He had on his mask, was holding only a phone, and was in immediate fear of death - I don't have a problem with him wanting to say good-bye. It's a shame that you do.
lupine, hugolover and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I heard an interview with the guy who started streaming live on FB after the explosion. He said he, like other passengers, believed they were about to die and he wanted to say good-bye to his loved ones. He had on his mask, was holding only a phone, and was in immediate fear of death - I don't have a problem with him wanting to say good-bye. It's a shame that you do.
The only real problem I have with his video is that he's wearing his oxygen mask incorrectly. "Cover your nose and mouth." Though I suppose by this point, he didn't really need the mask anymore, as they'd already descended.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Facebook live is faster to say goodbye to everyone, versus calling everyone one by one.
RatherBeOnATrain likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by hugolover
Looking at the images and video it seems the fuselage and windows aft of the failed window look to be covered in a red substance. Could that be blood?
Can get video to load right now but from the photos it more looks to me like a diffused reflection...maybe of whatever color the winglet is or a fire truck.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:19 pm

Jennifer Riordan was 43, the married mother of two.
Longtime local banking executive and well-known community volunteer Jennifer Riordan was killed in a bizarre accident Tuesday when an engine on a Southwest Airlines jet came apart in flight, severely damaging a window next to her seat. An email sent out to parents at Annunciation Catholic School confirmed Riordan of Albuquerque, whose two children attend the school, was killed.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Class? I recall reading of multiple FAA fines against Southwest due to maintenance issues.
With 1.6 million flights a year across 550 planes - I would expect there to be some issues, fines, etc. Not saying it is okay, but sometimes stuff happens.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:24 pm

This is one of the things that terrifies me about flying from London to Tampa every time, the plane is always the same tired, worn out BA 777, who knows what components are stressed to breaking point (If they are).
I know this can happen to any plane, but the older the plane, the more worried I get about issues where fatigue might play a part in an accident or disaster.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.