Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
With 1.6 million flights a year across 550 planes - I would expect there to be some issues, fines, etc. Not saying it is okay, but sometimes stuff happens.
IIRC I was living in Dallas at the time (home of WN) and the reports indicated systemic delay of inspections and winks from FAA.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:36 pm

No references to Aloha 243 yet?

Very impressed passengers were able to pull her back in the plane. Sad that she was killed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by whlinder

Very impressed passengers were able to pull her back in the plane. Sad that she was killed.
Reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...ys_Flight_5390

One of the cockpit windows blew out and the captain was partially sucked out. The copilot and crew members literally had to hold on to his legs.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by whlinder

Where did you read that the passenger at the window was killed?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Where did you read that the passenger at the window was killed?
Reported on local news while visiting Dallas.

Channel 8 anchor interviewed the victim several times while working in New Mexico about eight years ago. Apparently a very popular woman.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Two uncontained engine failures within 2 years, same airline, same plane type, same engine type should get the attention of the NTSB.

Sadly, and with no intended disrespect, I think -- statistically -- Southwest was overdue for a fatal accident.

Kudos to the crew for the safe landing.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by ursine1
Two uncontained engine failures within 2 years, same airline, same plane type, same engine type should get the attention of the NTSB.
Sadly, I agree and if it's found that they are responsible for what happened (vs a manufacturing flaw or something like that) then they deserve all the fallout and any penalties that may come down the line.

As for being overdue on a fatal accident I always thought they were lucky that they didn't lose an aircraft during the 1990s when the rudder reversal issue resulted in the crash of two 737s before it was found and corrected.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
N766SW (the one that landed in Mississippi) and N772SW (the one involved in today's incident) are only numbers apart, don't know if that is a coincidence or if there is a pattern.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to sound insensitive but why wasn't this passenger wearing their seat-belt? The death should not fall on SW airlines, nor should that incident with the heart attack.
At 30,000 feet seat belt signs would be off and mid flight service would have begun.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Boy, this reminds me . . .

Back in the days when I was working front desk at the Hyatt, I got a call one evening. The woman said her husband was checking in late that night, and she needed to me give him a message, emphasizing that it was very important. Something about the tone of her voice got my attention immediately. It went something like this:

"I'm a flight attendant, and I was on that plane that crashed today in Iowa. You have to let him know that I'm all right. I'm here, and I'll talk to him as soon as I can. Here's a special number he needs to call to reach me. Please make sure he gets that message."

This was United 232, the one that went cartwheeling down the runway in Sioux City in 1989, but still had 185 survivors. I hadn't seen the news all day, so I didn't know what she was talking about at the time, but I assured her we would pass on that message. Fortunately, I was the one who checked him in later on:

"Mr. Xxxx, I'm glad you're here. I have a really important message for you. Your wife called--she was on a plane that crashed in Iowa today, but she's all right. She wanted you to know that she's just fine, and she'll talk to you as soon as she can. Here's the emergency number for you to call."

I've never seen anybody turn so pale. I assured him that I was the one who personally spoke with her, and she sounded just fine. He kind of tried to make a little joke with his co-worker who was checking in with him, but it was really just at attempt to cope with the shock. The co-worker looked VERY concerned for him. But I got him checked in, and I assume they lived happily ever after.

Kind of off topic, but this WN crash gives me that same feeling. People narrowly surviving a scrape with death.
nsx, GuyverII, screeton and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
He didn't have to be filming anything. That's my point. I'm sure there are other things that could be done like listening for crew instructions, stowing away loose items (like cellphones), etc. But that's just my opinion
I think you really have to put yourself into the situation. If passenger believed he was going die given the circumstances, the rapid descent (majority of passengers don't experience this ever), and/or may not be aware aircraft can fly on one engine, you wouldn't want to leave a message to your loved ones?

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I heard an interview with the guy who started streaming live on FB after the explosion. He said he, like other passengers, believed they were about to die and he wanted to say good-bye to his loved ones. He had on his mask, was holding only a phone, and was in immediate fear of death - I don't have a problem with him wanting to say good-bye. It's a shame that you do.
^
joshwex90 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by steved5480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2rC1deJd0

How many OTHER airline CEOs have this much class?
It's amazing how simple the proper response is, yet simultaneously how many of them fail at it. This is a good response.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Boy, this reminds me . . .
This was United 232, the one that went cartwheeling down the runway in Sioux City in 1989, but still had 185 survivors. I hadn't seen the news all day, so I didn't know what she was talking about at the time, but I assured her we would pass on that message. Fortunately, I was the one who checked him in later on:
The book “Flight 232” by Laurence Gonzalez is one of the most terrifying books I have ever read.
It is worth the read though, its also one of the best books I have ever read. I bet your flight attendant is in it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.a86903c962ef

​​​​​​​
wrp96 and birdiedouble like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It's amazing how simple the proper response is, yet simultaneously how many of them fail at it. This is a good response.

Agreed, it speaks volumes on how WN and Gary Kelly responded to this vs yesterday how Allegiant and their "CEO" responded (or lack of) to the 60 minutes report.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to sound insensitive but why wasn't this passenger wearing their seat-belt? The death should not fall on SW airlines, nor should that incident with the heart attack.
We don't know what happened for the poor pax. People report "heart attack" when they see CPR. She may have suffered terrible injuries and gone into cardiac arrest from those, or from hypoxia when she was partially sucked out. That blown window is far behind the front of the engine; I assumed much of the high energy ejected material from an engine coming apart would fly out radially, and hit the plane at the row near the engine. This was far back. Whatever flew back there might have killed the pax by direct impact to the going through the window/fuselage. I suspect the rest of the damage to the plane will tell the tale. If she was impacted by debris, for all we know, it damaged her seatbelt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.