Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:15 am

The 2016 incident where investigators found signs of metal fatigue prompted the FAA to propose ultrasonic inspections of similar fan blades and their replacement should they fail the test.Sumwalt said the NTSB will review whether the engines involved in Tuesday’s incident might have been subject to the directive, which is not yet finalized. [Reuters]
So. 20 months after the same engine type suffered an uncontrolled failure, the NTSB had "not yet finalized" its directive to perform ultrasonic inspections of fan blades.

They didn't want to appear nagging?

Engine manufacturer CFM International recommended it be done "as soon as possible" nearly a year ago.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Does anyone know if they had to dump fuel? If not, they just landed heavy?

Will this aircraft have it's missing engine replaced and put back into service?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What else are you gonna do as you plummet to your possible demise?

Maybe that video/audio recording could help the NTSB figure something out about the incident. Who knows?
Why does everything in life have to be filmed? Why should the world know about my suffering or yours? It is narcissistic to think anyone cares about you when they die.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by enviroian

737's can't dump fuel. 727's could.

I seriously doubt Southwest would put a plane involved in its first onboard fatality back in service.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE

The aircraft does not have the ability to dump fuel. They went to PHL as quickly as possible:
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Does a report of a T-bone accident on the freeway make you not want to sit in a car passenger seat? Does a report of a tree falling on the master bedroom of a house make you not want to go to bed this evening?

We're talking reverse lottery here - one chance in billions, probably, that this grisly incident occurred.

The most I can logically deduce from this incident is that maybe, maybe, one should avoid window seats in this specific model of 737 on this specific airline in a specific set of rows just behind the engines. And that's still emotion ruling over logic, IMO.
I saw a FB post yesterday. I think this was the first person killed in US aviation since 2009. Also listed number of Powerball, Megamillions, and people struck by lightening during the same time frame. Yesterday was a sad, freak accident. But, not going to change my flying behavior.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Does a report of a T-bone accident on the freeway make you not want to sit in a car passenger seat? Does a report of a tree falling on the master bedroom of a house make you not want to go to bed this evening?

We're talking reverse lottery here - one chance in billions, probably, that this grisly incident occurred.

The most I can logically deduce from this incident is that maybe, maybe, one should avoid window seats in this specific model of 737 on this specific airline in a specific set of rows just behind the engines. And that's still emotion ruling over logic, IMO.
Yes, the probabilities are remote but how remote also depends on cause. But nonetheless these remote probabilities sure feel very real to the family of the deceased.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Why does everything in life have to be filmed? Why should the world know about my suffering or yours? It is narcissistic to think anyone cares about you when they die.
So if I'm going down in a plane I shouldn't expect my family and loved ones to care, or possibly receive a goodbye message from me? Geez i'm sorry your family and loved ones don't care about you.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Does anyone know if they had to dump fuel?
737s don't have that capability. If the need to land isn't ....ing urgent, then you'll just circle the airport for a while to avoid undue stress on the landing gear, but if you need to get down right the .... now, you don't worry about it--get the plane on the ground, worry about the plane's future airworthiness later.
wrp96 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by nightkhan
So if I'm going down in a plane I shouldn't expect my family and loved ones to care, or possibly receive a goodbye message from me? Geez i'm sorry your family and loved ones don't care about you.
Once upon a time, not so long ago, your family would have received a telegram or letter followed up later by a knock on the door.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
737s don't have that capability. If the need to land isn't ....ing urgent, then you'll just circle the airport for a while to avoid undue stress on the landing gear, but if you need to get down right the .... now, you don't worry about it--get the plane on the ground, worry about the plane's future airworthiness later.
good info, thanks. I assume it's safe to assume the brakes are shot

I wonder why some mfr's offer dumping (Airbus?) vs those that don't.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stinky123
I'm not sure what the point of the seat belt discussion is. The belt are not designed to keep a passenger in the seat when there is a sucking hole in the aircraft.
The tone of the seatbelt discussion from some is bull crop.
That said, out of curiosity, what are the g-forces of severe turbulence vs. a decompression? And for how long are those forces sustained?

The other question is what was the timeframe between the initial engine blowout and the shrapnel piercing the aircraft? I thought I read somewhere there was another initial hole the crew was trying to deal with first. If that's the case, I would certainly hope that all pax would have buckled up, but per the Q's above, I don't know if that would have even helped.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
It's bizarre to think that his family and friends wouldn't want a chance to say good-bye before he died. He was on his own FB page to people he knows, not CNN.
seigex likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:38 am

A 737 cannot, and never have been able to dump fuel. No system for that is installed, nor was it required.

After NTSB releases the aircraft the aircraft back to SWA, it'll get an engine change, plus repairs to damage, before eventually going back in service. All SWA aircraft were were getting new registration numbers as they came due for re-paint jobs (getting away from the SW and WN suffixes), so this one will also get a different number.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
Probably should have listened to the safety info and covered his NOSE and mouth with the H2O mask. Just sayin.
You should probably listen to the safety info next time so you'll know to use the O2 mask instead of drowning yourself in the H20 mask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.