Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I never heard the pilot declare an emergency, which seems unusual. I guess what it might say is that under a VERY stressful situation even a professional can make less than optimal communications.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
I guess what it might say is that under a VERY stressful situation even a professional can make less than optimal communications.
If this was meant to be humorous, it failed. If by some remote chance you’re serious, then...well...I’m not sure exactly what to say.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List, CP, Marriott Gold
My expereince as well... HOU to CUN yesterday... no WIFI... flight attendaents said it was disabled and gave no explanation.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

If this was meant to be humorous, it failed. If by some remote chance you’re serious, then...well...I’m not sure exactly what to say.
I think they are saying the pilot never formally stated "This is an emergency" during their transmissions. Just that they had an engine fire and were descending. There is a thought in communications like this you should use certain "buzz words" in order to get your dispatcher's full attention first, formalize the request and ensure everyone is on the same page about what exactly is going on. ATC got the point regardless if they used the word emergency or not, but better communication could have been
Plane: "SW 1380 declaring an emergency",
Dispatch "SW1380 state your emergency"
Plane: "SW1380 engine fire, descending, need nearest vector for landing"

Granted the first transmission was lost in static so they could have very well used the word emergency during that transmission.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A tiny bit of google indicates that it's not at all required to state "I'm declaring an emergency" (link here) - the Captain made her situation and expectations clear in a single statement "engine fire, descending, give me a vector to the nearest airport", followed by "give me a vector to philadelphia". I don't remember if she mentioned loss of pressure in the initial transmission and am too lazy to go back and listen again. ATC gave her what she needed and treated it as an emergency, clearing airspace, preparing to close the airport, giving her a single channel, following up about fire or no fire ("btw, part of the aircraft is missing and someone went out"). The FO took over the radio at some point while the Captain was presumably preparing for the landing. The whole exchange was really about as clear of communication as you could ask for, with the Captain making clear "this is my situation, this is what I need, this is what I'm doing that you need to know" and ATC saying "this is what I'm giving you now, this is what I'm preparing, if you want this much more (longer approach) I can do it but it will take a bit more time", etc. The "I'm declaring an emergency" (or Mayday or Pan Pan) is for if either party thinks there's ambiguity in understanding the situation at the other end.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Let's see what THIS does to schedules, cancellations, etc.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:11 pm

That statement leaves a lot of wiggle room.

The plane involved in yesterday's incident wasn't subject to the previous directive. One hopes it would be to the new one.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:14 pm

A few more details in this article: (Google headline if behind paywall.)

Inside Southwest Flight 1380, 20 Minutes of Chaos and Terror
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Member

Sorry, I don't get your comment. I think the problem might be that you are not familiar with the "formality" of ATC communication. I have spent thousands of hours listening to ATC communications, and I have listened to over 100 air traffic emergency broadcasts and this is the first time in my memory that the PIC didn't say "We are declaring an emergency", particularly where they had already deviated from the ATC assigned altitude.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
The plane involved in yesterday's incident wasn't subject to the previous directive.
A Southwest spokeswoman paraphrased in an article is not the jurisdictional authority.

It was a proposed directive, never finalized.

A year after the accident, in August 2017, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) proposed an Airworthiness Directive that would make those inspections mandatory. The FAA noted that though the fan-blade failure was contained by the engine case, “there was subsequent uncontained forward release of inlet cowl and other debris.

”The proposed directive stated that on engines that have flown more than 15,000 cycles, the fan blades would have to be inspected within six months of the rule being finalized, while on those with fewer cycles the blades would be inspected within 18 months.

Eight months later, the FAA still has not finalized that directive.

An FAA safety engineer, who asked for anonymity because he spoke without authorization from the agency, said that seems an unreasonable delay. “In the notice, the FAA proposed inspections within six months,” he said. “How can you wait so long to finalize the rule?” The engineer added that if maintenance is not mandatory, some airlines will put it off until the next major overhaul. Engines are routinely overhauled every 30,000 flights.

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), the counterpart to the FAA in Europe, did finalize an Airworthiness Directive requiring airlines operating in Europe to perform the inspections recommended by CFM.

It’s not known whether the recommended blade inspections were done on the engine involved in Tuesday’s accident.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:34 pm

NTSB B Roll Philadelphia, PA Southwest Flight 1380
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by chrisl137
A tiny bit of google indicates that it's not at all required to state "I'm declaring an emergency" (link here) - the Captain made her situation and expectations clear in a single statement "engine fire, descending, give me a vector to the nearest airport", followed by "give me a vector to philadelphia". I don't remember if she mentioned loss of pressure in the initial transmission and am too lazy to go back and listen again. ATC gave her what she needed and treated it as an emergency, clearing airspace, preparing to close the airport, giving her a single channel, following up about fire or no fire ("btw, part of the aircraft is missing and someone went out"). The FO took over the radio at some point while the Captain was presumably preparing for the landing. The whole exchange was really about as clear of communication as you could ask for, with the Captain making clear "this is my situation, this is what I need, this is what I'm doing that you need to know" and ATC saying "this is what I'm giving you now, this is what I'm preparing, if you want this much more (longer approach) I can do it but it will take a bit more time", etc. The "I'm declaring an emergency" (or Mayday or Pan Pan) is for if either party thinks there's ambiguity in understanding the situation at the other end.
The slides seem to be technically correct. But I would suggest that my observation is still accurate - EXCEPT it appears that the audio may have been modified. If you listen really carefully there is other evidence that portions of the transmissions may have been deleted. For example, the Tower tells the emergency equipment the number of souls on board and the pounds of fuel. That is information normally obtained from the PIC. But unless I am forgetting something, I never heard the PIC say that information.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Sorry, I don't get your comment. I think the problem might be that you are not familiar with the "formality" of ATC communication.
I am quite familiar, and your “less than optimal communications” comment is still wildly off the mark.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:46 pm
Original Member

I am quite familiar, and your “less than optimal communications” comment is still wildly off the mark.
Can you point me to an example of a recording of a commercial plane which intentionally deviated from assigned altitude because of an emergency and, while having radio communications intact, did not state that they were declaring an emergency? Or are you just saying that because the pilot handled a very difficult situation very well the fact that it was 1 flight in 100 for not making that declaration didn't matter in YOUR opinion, which doesn't change my opinion that being 1 in 100 shows some level of stress induced unusual communication (i.e. - a 1 in 100 exception). But I would certainly be interested in hearing your views if you would actually provide some information, like I did.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chrisl137
It reminds me of the priorities aviate, navigate, communicate.
nsx, Tanic, kennycrudup and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.