Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by singlebackpack
This happened to me. Going to New England in Sept. Flight out there is a JetBlue redeye. Booked a one-way Boston to California Sept 6 with points a few weeks ago. Family reunion plans are evolving, so I recently booked another one-way (also with points) Manchester (MHT) to California Sept 7. A couple days ago received cancellation email for the BOS-California one-way without explanation. Stunned (I thought maybe someone had hacked my email to get my confirm # to mess with me!), and honestly not sure why the flight was cancelled, I called (1 hour on the phone) and they explained that new booking system is catching these so-called "double bookings". Luckily they sorted it out for me, I got my BOS flight back, and didn't lose any points. I still can't believe it. No warning, two flights from different cities, not even the same day! I don't trust them to honor a basic booking anymore. I agree, NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Anyway, going to burn up my remaining SWA points and cancel my SWA credit card. I see no reason to seek out and fly Southwest if there is nothing that distinguishes them from the other majors. Delta, United, etc typically have better fares, better flight options (redyes available), and "bags fly 'free'" means nothing to a light packer like me. I used to also look to Southwest first -- this new policy/enforcement is a shame and they are losing a dedicated customer. I never considered it a "loophole", but rather a benefit that made Southwest the best airline in the sky.
The same fares on the other airlines (i.e., the fares with no change fee) are far more expensive. They will also cancel your duplicate bookings just like Southwest. No airline wants you as a customer because you take twice as many seats out of inventory without paying for it.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The same fares on the other airlines (i.e., the fares with no change fee) are far more expensive. They will also cancel your duplicate bookings just like Southwest. No airline wants you as a customer because you take twice as many seats out of inventory without paying for it.
Ironically this new policy enforcement could hasten the end of No Change Fees. Some customers will move their primary bookings to other airlines and book only the backup flights on Southwest, canceling almost all of them. Southwest's problem could get worse, not better, because of the new policy. The only complete solution is to impose change fees, which would reduce Southwest's market share as it would become just another airline.

If I were running Southwest I'd be a lot more circumspect about these cancellations. The unintended consequences are frightening to contemplate. I don't think it's broken enough to need fixing.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by singlebackpack
This happened to me. Going to New England in Sept. Flight out there is a JetBlue redeye. Booked a one-way Boston to California Sept 6 with points a few weeks ago. Family reunion plans are evolving, so I recently booked another one-way (also with points) Manchester (MHT) to California Sept 7. A couple days ago received cancellation email for the BOS-California one-way without explanation. Stunned (I thought maybe someone had hacked my email to get my confirm # to mess with me!), and honestly not sure why the flight was cancelled, I called (1 hour on the phone) and they explained that new booking system is catching these so-called "double bookings". Luckily they sorted it out for me, I got my BOS flight back, and didn't lose any points. I still can't believe it. No warning, two flights from different cities, not even the same day! I don't trust them to honor a basic booking anymore. I agree, NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I would argue the description posted here is not a duplicate booking. While it would be difficult, it is certainly not physically impossible for the poster to fly both these flights. If this is considered a duplicate booking, then what the heck is SW's definition of a duplicate booking?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Franklin7777
I would argue the description posted here is not a duplicate booking. While it would be difficult, it is certainly not physically impossible for the poster to fly both these flights. If this is considered a duplicate booking, then what the heck is SW's definition of a duplicate booking?
It is very likely the case that there is no way for the poster to fly BOS-Cali, then get back to MHT *On Southwest* to fly MHT-Cali the next day (the last connections to MHT from the west coast leave around 2 pm). I can't imagine their system accounts for the possibility of you having reservations on other carriers when locating and flagging "impossible" bookings.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:26 am

This one makes me nervous, because I've done some mileage run trips that would apparently get canceled under this new rule. Heck, my schedule has just plain gotten weird before and I've taken the same trip two days in a row. Not transcon, I guess, but I don't feel like that should matter. Wathing this thread with interest and concern.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by captaink
It is very likely the case that there is no way for the poster to fly BOS-Cali, then get back to MHT *On Southwest* to fly MHT-Cali the next day (the last connections to MHT from the west coast leave around 2 pm). I can't imagine their system accounts for the possibility of you having reservations on other carriers when locating and flagging "impossible" bookings.
So you do a red-eye on JetBlue or something. If SW wants to discourage actual double bookings, that is their right. When they are cancelling a flight that is physically possible to take, how is it their right to judge the intent of the flyer?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Franklin7777
So you do a red-eye on JetBlue or something. If SW wants to discourage actual double bookings, that is their right. When they are cancelling a flight that is physically possible to take, how is it their right to judge the intent of the flyer?
The CoC gives them a lot of breadth to cancel bookings they do not believe you intend to fly. What % of people holding two one-way cross country tickets on consecutive days actually intend to fly both legs?

Taking it a step further, should WN also not cancel duplicate reservations where it is impossible to make it back to the origin of ticket #2 on *any* airline, but it could be done on a private jet? Or if a Citation X isn't fast enough, maybe the USAF will let you catch a ride on an F-15E. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I've yet to see any examples on here of legitimate travel being affected, only people booking backup WGA reservations.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by nsx
Ironically this new policy enforcement could hasten the end of No Change Fees. Some customers will move their primary bookings to other airlines and book only the backup flights on Southwest, canceling almost all of them. Southwest's problem could get worse, not better, because of the new policy. The only complete solution is to impose change fees, which would reduce Southwest's market share as it would become just another airline.

If I were running Southwest I'd be a lot more circumspect about these cancellations. The unintended consequences are frightening to contemplate. I don't think it's broken enough to need fixing.
If you book two tickets and almost always fly ticket A and cancel ticket B, then why not just book ticket A and be done with it? If you need to change it to B, then do so. But don't book both.

But if you're right and people book lots of tickets on WN just to cancel them, I think what WN will do is not institute change fees (as that would affect everyone not just the double bookers which are a minority) but will instead ban you from booking anything on WN. Every airline has the right to refuse to sell you tickets if you are a habitual ticket canceller.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Aren't there still couriers who hand-deliver documents/repair parts/organs for transplant?

Or possibly very specialized repair techs?

Seems like they would be affected here possibly.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Aren't there still couriers who hand-deliver documents/repair parts/organs for transplant?

Or possibly very specialized repair techs?

Seems like they would be affected here possibly.
I'd imagine most repair techs/couriers aren't flying on WGA fares (you rarely get a week's notice that a machine will break), which makes the point moot. I can't imagine any reason to hold multiple anytime reservations unless you're concerned that the flight you'll want to change to will sell out, and no one will volunteer their seat in a VDB scenario.

This is all about closing a loophole. People with legitimate edge cases will be taken care of, but claiming that you'll move heaven and earth to get back to your origin on a non-southwest flight an hour/day later to take the same (or very similar) flight again probably won't get much sympathy.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:26 pm

System is likely not programmed for the edge cases. Have a feeling it won't be for a long time so be prepared for a lot of time with customer service.

Good news: my flight from a few pages back is sticking after CS fixed it.

Bad news: Booked a new trip where I need to be in LA for a few hours before flying back to origin and then onto another destination later the same day for work. There is a good amount of time between trips. System automatically cancelled the outbound trip later in the day. Will need to call and get it corrected, but right now it seems like its just looking at a 24 hour period and not whether or not you can make all of the flights.

If this continues then it will suck. I have to call and spend a good chunk of time on the phone explaining why my flights are set in a certain way. Not how I like to spend my time when giving my money to an airline.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Two things. I have no problem booking BS and then moving it around as needed. However, we are now in the middle of Spring Break, I am on a job with a variable end, and even if I want to move flights, they may not be available at any price. In the past I would have booked Friday and Saturday. Now, if I finish early I hope for availability on Friday. However, I knew it was a rule easily broken, so now it is how should always have been.

This also seems to create problems for commuter routes, particularly intra-California, intra-Texas and maybe some east coast cities. There have been times when I was working in Southern California and had to make a quick run up to SMF. Same for DAL-SAT. These schedules were not multiple reservations but flights I fully intended to fly.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

Pretty much this. I only book trips that I intend to fly. Always have, always will. I will now book cheapest flight (on any airline except SWA as they are almost never the cheapest) as my "primary" flight, considering it a sunk cost if plans change. If there is a *chance* of meeting going late, connecting internal flight landing late, family changing vacation plan, etc, I will book my "contingency" flight on SWA (and yes, I'll go for the cheapest viable option there too, rather than risk getting reamed "last minute" at a ticket counter or not getting a seat home at all). Usually I won't need the contingency but as a saavy consumer (no, I don't consider it "fraud" to try and pay less of my hard-earned $ for a flight/product/trip and/or ensure that I will get home safely from a faraway place) will be appreciative that Southwest gives me the option...'til that of course is gone to and there will really be no reason to book SWA (as I'll book that on another airline as well).

If SWA considers me a bad customer and doesn't want my money, so be it. There are plenty of other airlines who will take my $ rather than fly empty jets around at enormous expense.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This also seems to create problems for commuter routes, particularly intra-California, intra-Texas and maybe some east coast cities. There have been times when I was working in Southern California and had to make a quick run up to SMF. Same for DAL-SAT. These schedules were not multiple reservations but flights I fully intended to fly.
+1. This is a real thing in California. Hundreds of SWA flights per day between Norcal (SMF, OAK, SFO, SJC) and Socal (LAX, BUR, ONT, SNA, SAN). Lots of business and govt travel. Meeting times change, roadway traffic changes for the worse, weather delays move flight schedules, you name it. By removing some flexibility Southwest and tacit approval for double-booking, SWA is giving some of it's best customers (these biz/govt travelers) the middle finger. I don't see that as a good move.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 21, 2017 at 10:44 pm Reason: Fix markup
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
System is likely not programmed for the edge cases. Have a feeling it won't be for a long time so be prepared for a lot of time with customer service.

Good news: my flight from a few pages back is sticking after CS fixed it.

Bad news: Booked a new trip where I need to be in LA for a few hours before flying back to origin and then onto another destination later the same day for work. There is a good amount of time between trips. System automatically cancelled the outbound trip later in the day. Will need to call and get it corrected, but right now it seems like its just looking at a 24 hour period and not whether or not you can make all of the flights.

If this continues then it will suck. I have to call and spend a good chunk of time on the phone explaining why my flights are set in a certain way. Not how I like to spend my time when giving my money to an airline.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about above. If the flyer can physically make the all the flights, WN has no business attempting to divine intent and absolutely should not cancel any of the flights. Is this going to let some gaming of the system continue? Of course. But that hardly seems worth the actual inconvenience to legitimate travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.