Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:12 am

I wished they'd relent on Florida fares to/from STL. Still around $189+ one way.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Thanks for the heads up on the price drops yesterday! I just re-fared 5 different trips this summer to various places (DCA-SAN, DCA-MDW, BWI-BOS, etc) and got back about 20k points from the savings I found. If you've booked travel this summer, it's definitely worth taking a look at right now for savings.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
No change on the tickets I've already booked for the summer but I was able to get most of them at acceptable prices already.

I still need two tickets to LAX to connect to a TPAC flight that I booked at dirt cheap fare. If WN doesn't relent soon I will have to go with UA as two tickets on them plus bag fees is still cheaper than one on WN.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zachary
I wished they'd relent on Florida fares to/from STL. Still around $189+ one way.
If by Florida you mean STL-MCO, it is odd they don't feel a little bit compelled to fight Frontier's $137 r/t fares - even with little availability.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If by Florida you mean STL-MCO, it is odd they don't feel a little bit compelled to fight Frontier's $137 r/t fares - even with little availability.
Considering baggage fees that's not far out of line.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
LAX-OAK is now $69 for almost all dates this summer!!

This leaves me only 3 one-ways booked on points at the high fares, which I will replace using Avios at SFO if those seats open up late in the game as they typically do.
I moved one of these 3 trips half a day into the $69 sale zone. I just booked another one using 7500 Avios from a near-orphan account. That leaves only one trip where I will have to pay 7292 points ($123) if I can't replace it with 7500 Avios in the next couple weeks. All my other trips are $69 or less except for July 5, when I'll just stay home if Southwest holds its $123 fare too long.

I feel good about burning Avios even though they are my best remaining option (second place is Delta) for last-minute travel without extra fees for lateness. Any FF program feature that's head and shoulders above the rest is ripe for cutting. The Companion Pass is a rare survivor of that class. In fact it seems that every time I am happy about the value I received on a redemption, that particular option is devalued or eliminated within about a year!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:53 pm

No relief for me; MDW-LAS or MDW-MSY.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by nsx
OMG Southwest finally relented some time after this morning!

LAX-OAK is now $69 for almost all dates this summer!!

This leaves me only 3 one-ways booked on points at the high fares, which I will replace using Avios at SFO if those seats open up late in the game as they typically do.

Maybe someone at Southwest read this thread and applied common sense. Or maybe the advance sales figures finally hit management's desk.

I am thrilled with $69, which is less than I paid in 2015!
Just changed two one-way tickets from BUR to/from OAK in July and got 7,090 points refunded. That's almost half the points I paid when originally booked. Woohoo!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited by NextTrip; Jun 5, 2016 at 1:18 am
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Poor: $123
Average: $99
Good: $73
Awesome: $49-59
No wonder you're such a harsh critic. Based on my past few years of travel SJC/SAN it's:

$ 99: Wow, that's awesome!
$125: Pretty good
$166: Enh.
$252: Hmm, do I really need to go?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:19 am
Suspended

Bought SAN-SJC for $76.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:31 am

I am losing hope that bwi to cle will come down for august. It's still pricey. I will probably have to suck it up and pay the price
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:41 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
I am losing hope that bwi to cle will come down for august. It's still pricey. I will probably have to suck it up and pay the price
Wow: $124 for all of August and $49 for half the Fall. It's as if Southwest were trying to win the High Fare and Low Fare crowns at the same time!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I just checked and I was able to reprice some tickets again as they are now a few buck cheaper than they were during the big sale. It might be worth it to check your flights again.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:14 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The load on my commute hour flight, the peak hour of the week I believe, is 92 out of 143. Security lines today are very long, typical for summer. Summer travelers are out in force but they didn't buy overpriced OAK-LAX tickets.

I would be curious to see the load on this flight next week. That date never dipped below $123. (Today's flight was offered at least once at $69 or so.) But I'm not $123 worth of curious, so I'll never know. I'll be flying the competition (AA) for my next two flights. This will be my first defection from Southwest in many years, but Southwest earned it. I will go out of my way to avoid paying them double the normal price.

It's gratifying to be able to deny revenue to a business or a government jurisdiction that's trying to gouge you. I boycotted San Francisco for several years to deny them sales tax revenue after they charged me $30 for not curbing my wheels. They got too greedy on that scam.

Any business that alienates its customers risks teaching them about competitive offerings. The damage can be lasting. Just as you might re-route around a traffic jam and discover that you prefer the new route and start using it regularly.

I'm delighted that Southwest restored sanity to their summer fares intra-California, but they were 8 days too late to keep me from defecting and becoming familiar with travel on AA using Avios. I have a feeling that Avios/AA will become my backup option to Southwest for the entire Fall season.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I just booked LAS ( for business - I hate the place ) in late July for $119 each way. Last time I looked it was around $200 each way. I was going to purchase today regardless of WN's fares and planned on purchasing it on AA. Luckily for them, they relented on that route also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.