Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I was doing some of my regular flying on Spirit, but over the weekend Southwest dropped a lot of fares with no warning and no announcement. There is no sale notice I can find. I wonder what's going on.
Very typical of airline pricing. Fares go up and down on a whim. SW may not have a sale, but another airline may, and SW is simply matching or otherwise competing with their rates.

For what's its worth, nearly every discounted fare I have bought has not been a sale fare, and most sale fares are at or above what I managed to pay for my flight.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I snagged a $39 fare MDW-MCI today. I can't remember the last time I got a fare that low. And the funny thing is that it is for a flight next week.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I snagged a $39 fare MDW-MCI today. I can't remember the last time I got a fare that low. And the funny thing is that it is for a flight next week.
Yup, that is part of what I noticed in my recent price drop. The advance purchase penalty was down to 1 week.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
I believe load factors for July will be significantly below what they were in recent years, much less than 100%. As we've seen here, many customers for summer travel have already committed to using other airlines.
Here it is mid-July and there are 51 passengers on my commute hour 143-seater. It's great for napping. Normal pre-summer loads on these flights were 85 to 95%.

I'm surprised that so very many people booked away from Southwest before June 3, but they apparently did. If Southwest's revenue managers don't deduce from this experence that the proper summer premium is closer to 20% than 100% then they are slow learners.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm surprised that so very many people booked away from Southwest before June 3, but they apparently did. If Southwest's revenue managers don't deduce from this experience that the proper summer premium is closer to 20% than 100% then they are slow learners.
I think the expanded footprint of the ULCCs is having an effect. People are learning that Southwest is no longer the price leader and they becoming more comfortable with the ULCC model and are learning the the ULCC aren't the evil monsters that have been depicted as.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Here it is mid-July and there are 51 passengers on my commute hour 143-seater. It's great for napping. Normal pre-summer loads on these flights were 85 to 95%.

I'm surprised that so very many people booked away from Southwest before June 3, but they apparently did. If Southwest's revenue managers don't deduce from this experence that the proper summer premium is closer to 20% than 100% then they are slow learners.
What were the flight prices on the 95% flights versus your 35% flight?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yup, that is part of what I noticed in my recent price drop. The advance purchase penalty was down to 1 week.
The <7-day WGA penalty/blackout is diminishing, at least to/from MDW.

Last Wed. I booked for 7 am today one-way PHL-MDW @ $59 (5 days out). And then last night when my wife called and wanted to change because she was sick, I rebooked for tomorrow for just $138, compared to some gigantic BS fare.

WN points save me again!

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 18, 2016 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:35 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
What were the flight prices on the 95% flights versus your 35% flight?
I paid $64 for Spring and $69 for Summer. But Summer was $123 until June 3, when it dropped to $69. I infer that many July travel customers selected another carrier before June 3.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:09 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nsx
If Southwest's revenue managers don't deduce from this experence that the proper summer premium is closer to 20% than 100% then they are slow learners.
They are learning! Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's dates have come down to a 20% premium in LAX-SFO and LAX-OAK markets in the last day or so. Dates which had been held back at high fares are now bookable at the 20% premium.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:54 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

OMG, Southwest is at it again this year. Intra-CA fares are now $113 and $123 all summer, up from $73 as of last week. Lesson not learned?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
OMG, Southwest is at it again this year. Intra-CA fares are now $113 and $123 all summer, up from $73 as of last week. Lesson not learned?
Nope, apparently they are smarter than you & I.

How about the current ISP-TPA $504 one way AT fares fares for the retired & leisure market?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362

How about the current ISP-TPA $504 one way AT fares fares for the retired & leisure market?
Yep, the fares are still crazy expensive in most markets for the summer. Always fun to see sold out on most of the wanna get away fares.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
Yup, noticed that myself. So much for the useless weekly $49-59-69 sales that rarely seem to go more than a couple of months forward.

VX is showing $74 for SFO<=>LAX long-advance fares and it is tempting as I can rebook if the price drops if I use the VX-branded card. Much less incentive on those $123 WN fares. But maybe that's the WN plan as I bet the kettles don't bother to re-ticket when fare drops - they've been well conditioned by the other carriers.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:04 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joshua362
My half-empty flights most of last summer didn't look very smart to me...
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
My half-empty flights most of last summer didn't look very smart to me...
Nor did the 60 empty seats on the only TPA-ISP NS last Friday evening but that didn't stop the under 7 day $504 fare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.