Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I think you are going to have to be more specific. What destinations? What prices?
I am very flexible in destinations. I have looked at IND, EWR, LGA, IAD, DCA, BWI, MEM, FLL, BOS, MHT, ROC, PWM, and probably some others.

This morning, most flights were in the 300s and 500s, with few exceptions. Right now it is looking better.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What dates do we expect for the 2017 summer anniversary sale? I need to book some travel for October, and fares are dropping on other airlines.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
What dates do we expect for the 2017 summer anniversary sale? I need to book some travel for October, and fares are dropping on other airlines.
It's normally the 2nd Tuesday in June. Sometimes the 3rd Tuesday.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:18 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by sokolov
I'm looking at oneway eastbound flights (many destinations) from SFO/SJC/OAK/SMF in the May 19-23 timeframe. Crazy prices, with select arrivals after midnight slightly better.
Graduation season is a terrible time to be booking this close in. That said, with enough research or luck you might score big. Mrs. ftnoob and I lucked out big when we stumbled onto a flight to OAK that was about 1/3 full because it happened to be one week after UC-Berkeley graduation. We heard the same flight one week prior had been busting at the seams. SWA's revenue management department is generally pretty brilliant, but might mistakenly keep fares for dates / situations like that very high until pretty close-in.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:01 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just booked the whole summer at $59 each way intra-CA, lower than the last two years. I believe Southwest learned its lesson last year. Those summer flights were as empty as January flights. This year they will be packed.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:32 pm

I am seeing $113 as the new $59. Trying to get to Burbank on 5-29 and to San Diego on 6-9. Nothing cheaper than $113.

From SFO or OAK.

Edit....

And this morning my flight is $77. I am buying.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Apr 18, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old May 15, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I am seeing $113 as the new $59. Trying to get to Burbank on 5-29 and to San Diego on 6-9. Nothing cheaper than $113. From SFO or OAK.

And this morning my flight is $77. I am buying.
+1

Interesting how WN is now gouging customers at secondary airports that it dominates. Pricing a 7-day advance OAK-LAX = $114 vs. OAK-BUR =$175. Of course there is heavy competition from Bay Area to LAX. I think our only hope for price relief is for AS/VX to continue its expansion in California markets.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1

Interesting how WN is now gouging customers at secondary airports that it dominates.
Been doing this at ISP for years now...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:44 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Just booked a ticket (Lga to Stl) for a Saturday in mid August and was able to buy Delta first class non stop cheaper than flights on WN. Doesn't make much sense.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
It is hit and miss. I booked STL to MCO round trip a few days after July 4 yesterday. Two pax round trip under $500 non-stop. Only thing less was Allegiantair. Not going there - the conference is close to MCO and means I don't need a car.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by joshua362
Been doing this at ISP for years now...
YUP!!! but not according to ISP airport management (they are loyal for the donations SW has made over the years)

A family of 4 at XMAS time can be $3800 r/t !
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Two weeks ago, I paid $279 per person on WN for four pax going DEN-LGB (wanted DEN-SNA but couldn't get it cheap) and SAN-DEN the week leading up to July 4th with connections both ways. I've since been able to get the fare down to $150 per person going DEN-SNA and SAN-DEN, nonstop both ways.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:29 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nsx
Here it is mid-July and there are 51 passengers on my commute hour 143-seater. It's great for napping. Normal pre-summer loads on these flights were 85 to 95%.

I'm surprised that so very many people booked away from Southwest before June 3, but they apparently did. If Southwest's revenue managers don't deduce from this experence that the proper summer premium is closer to 20% than 100% then they are slow learners.
That was 2016. What a difference a year can make. This year Southwest offered $59 summer fares intra-California, early and often. Once the fares came down they stayed down, with no attempts to gouge customers.

My flights have been packed the summer, essentially sold out. I figure Southwest could have charged $69 and made more money. The $59 looks like a slight overreaction to last summer's empty flights. But I'll take it!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:46 am

I don't find summer-summer comparisons that compelling. Long-range planning metrics tell the story.

There are glaring caveats. Domestic ULCCs are expanding fast. Frontier, Spirit and Allegiant are increasingly getting frisky in high-density markets.

Brand-loyalty to the airline, not the fare, already may be waning.
      Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:52 am
      nsx
      Original Poster
      Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LegalTender
      I don't find summer-summer comparisons that compelling.
      The Summer 2016 fares were much, much higher than earlier years or this year. It was a brash experiment by Southwest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.