Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
OMG, Southwest is at it again this year. Intra-CA fares are now $113 and $123 all summer, up from $73 as of last week. Lesson not learned?
$170 from OAK/SFO to PHX OW is somewhat painful as well. But if ypu are willing to stop in LAX/LAS/SNA $59 fares can be found. I am not willing to stop.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
$170 from OAK/SFO to PHX OW is somewhat painful as well. But if ypu are willing to stop in LAX/LAS/SNA $59 fares can be found. I am not willing to stop.
It is hard to justify a stop when the nonstop is 2 hours. They pull this same baloney on flights -ex LAS.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
All the CPs being dished out now like candy must have an effect on ticket prices. Those pax traveling without a companion are subsidizing the giveaways.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yup, noticed that myself. So much for the useless weekly $49-59-69 sales that rarely seem to go more than a couple of months forward.

VX is showing $74 for SFO<=>LAX long-advance fares and it is tempting as I can rebook if the price drops if I use the VX-branded card. Much less incentive on those $123 WN fares. But maybe that's the WN plan as I bet the kettles don't bother to re-ticket when fare drops - they've been well conditioned by the other carriers.
Looks like WN is matching these fares on SFO-LAX.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Looks like WN is matching these fares on SFO-LAX.
Summer is still $113 and $123.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Summer is still $113 and $123.
I see $74 everyday from a couple of weeks from now until August 14.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:21 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I see $74 everyday from a couple of weeks from now until August 14.
Thanks so much. You are right. SFO is $74 but OAK is still $113/$123.

It's not often Southwest tries to maintain such a large price difference between SFO and OAK.

Edited to add: A-listers have free standby for flights 2 hours earlier and later. I can buy a ticket to SFO and fly to OAK instead. Which is exactly what I will do when the price difference is $49.

Last edited by nsx; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks so much. You are right. SFO is $74 but OAK is still $113/$123.

It's not often Southwest tries to maintain such a large price difference between SFO and OAK.

Edited to add: A-listers have free standby for flights 2 hours earlier and later. I can buy a ticket to SFO and fly to OAK instead. Which is exactly what I will do when the price difference is $49.

Not sure you can do that. I thought the free standby was only for flights to the same destination.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:44 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dlaue
Not sure you can do that. I thought the free standby was only for flights to the same destination.
I've asked a couple of gate agents and they said yes. I haven't yet attempted it though.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:34 pm

Technically, it is for the same city only. Gate agents have some flexibility, but I wouldn't depend on it.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:19 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ursine1
Technically, it is for the same city only. Gate agents have some flexibility, but I wouldn't depend on it.
It's a safe bet that a late afternoon flight to SFO will be delayed more than 15 minutes, and I know from experience that they will let you fly to OAK if that happens.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:25 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nsx
I was able to replace my SFO flight with an OAK flight at the same price several weeks ago. Southwest has kept summer prices in a rational range recently, until today. Right now they are back to $113 from mid-July through the rest of Summer. Maybe the prices will be back down tomorrow, but I can't see how obviously unreasonable pricing, even for a short time, benefits Southwest.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I was able to replace my SFO flight with an OAK flight at the same price several weeks ago. Southwest has kept summer prices in a rational range recently...
Clearly you are looking at a narrow range of flights. Flights that I care about have been priced at their max for some time now (ie: PHL - LAS).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:54 am

I'm looking at oneway eastbound flights (many destinations) from SFO/SJC/OAK/SMF in the May 19-23 timeframe. Crazy prices, with select arrivals after midnight slightly better.

Do you expect those prices to come down? Or is there peak demand for some reason?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
I'm looking at oneway eastbound flights (many destinations) from SFO/SJC/OAK/SMF in the May 19-23 timeframe. Crazy prices, with select arrivals after midnight slightly better.

Do you expect those prices to come down? Or is there peak demand for some reason?
I think you are going to have to be more specific. What destinations? What prices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.