Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior707
It will be interesting to see who will benefit more from upcoming IT capabilities, the customer or the airline's bottom line. In the old days under Herb, I felt these were both tied in the same direction ... but now I believe they will be in opposite directions...like fewer Tue/Wed flights will result in fewer low cost options for leisure travelers.
I could see that if new IT allows Southwest to introduce significant capacity in transcon red-eye flights and simultaneously reduce Tue/Wed flights allowing for maintenance to be scheduled on the non-flying aircraft, that might be a net positive for me and other flyers like me. (Not that I'm thrilled at the thought of flying red-eye flights, I've gotten too old for that to be a regularly selected option. But I'd like those additional available seats to relieve upward pricing pressure on the WN or non-WN flights that I do want.)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by SoCaltravel
Loads out of LAX to OAK have been light this month. I have traveled this route each week this month and there were several times the load was in the low 60's. Fares were very high, even booking 5 weeks in advance. Decided to fly out of Long Beach today for less then $100 round trip.
Just completed an OAK-LGB round trip 6/30-7/4. Plane was half full going south but the return trip was near capacity. Long Beach as a domestic airport isn't that bad and I would definitely be interested in using it again if the prices are $100 cheaper round trip than Burbank, LAX.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Just completed an OAK-LGB round trip 6/30-7/4. Plane was half full going south but the return trip was near capacity. Long Beach as a domestic airport isn't that bad and I would definitely be interested in using it again if the prices are $100 cheaper round trip than Burbank, LAX.
That route seems likely to be cheap for a while, going from 3x daily on JetBlue to 4x on JetBlue and 4x on Southwest. Seems inevitable JetBlue will lose that battle and draw down at some point.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm not sure if it's been this way for a while, but today I noticed that Thanksgiving Wednesday and Monday flights are reasonably priced ($74) for SFO-LAX, much cheaper than for OAK-LAX ($113). Sunday morning is available too.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:18 pm

Seems like their new play is to keep the fares quite high until ~30 days before date of travel, and then slowly release cheap seats until they fill the plane.

Much like cruise lines.

Not much reason to buy anything in advance, at least based on recent fare action (luckily, I've been able to re-fare everything I had booked for the rest of this summer, several times in some cases).

YMMV.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hopefully we will see more $59 fares so I can qualify cheaply for my CP $49 would be even better!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:07 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Another 80-passenger flight this morning. Everyone aft of the exits has a row to himself.

I thought Southwest was stupid setting summer prices at $123 until the last minute, but as a customer I am loving the result: $69 fares for sleeping seating!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If by Florida you mean STL-MCO, it is odd they don't feel a little bit compelled to fight Frontier's $137 r/t fares - even with little availability.
They relented on this over the weekend. Finally. $79-$91 for the entire month of August. Down from $199. I wonder if loads were down in July.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
Another 80-passenger flight this morning. Everyone aft of the exits has a row to himself.

I thought Southwest was stupid setting summer prices at $123 until the last minute, but as a customer I am loving the result: $69 fares for sleeping seating!
Both my SFO-LAX-SFO flights (UA and AA) were full with others on waitlist. Hopefully WN will fire the current revenue management team or tweak the programming. There are plenty of paying customers if the price is competitive.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
They relented on this over the weekend. Finally. $79-$91 for the entire month of August. Down from $199. I wonder if loads were down in July.
I was doing some of my regular flying on Spirit, but over the weekend Southwest dropped a lot of fares with no warning and no announcement. There is no sale notice I can find. I wonder what's going on.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I was doing some of my regular flying on Spirit, but over the weekend Southwest dropped a lot of fares with no warning and no announcement. There is no sale notice I can find. I wonder what's going on.
Competition.

Which routes?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Competition.

Which routes?
MSY-ATL. Spirit $39.00+$9.00 for a seat selection. I don't take a carry-on or check a bag.
Currently Southwest is offering this route for $49.00.
I find it odd that this has not been announced as a sale.

Prior to this weekend they were asking a minimum of $113.00-126.00 through mid-August.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
MSY-ATL. Spirit $39.00+$9.00 for a seat selection. I don't take a carry-on or check a bag.
Currently Southwest is offering this route for $49.00.
I find it odd that this has not been announced as a sale.

Prior to this weekend they were asking a minimum of $113.00-126.00 through mid-August.
I've noticed often they will load the Tuesday-Thursday 'sale price' Monday evening so it pays to check in advance, especially for the birthday sale.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by vike16
I've noticed often they will load the Tuesday-Thursday 'sale price' Monday evening so it pays to check in advance, especially for the birthday sale.
This was up Monday morning. I have seen other reports here of pricing droping over the weekend, that's why I checked today. The low fares seem to extend to the Christmas travel period, except for the Thanksgiving travel period.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:35 pm

I'm still waiting for bwi-cle fare to drop. They went up $48 over the weekend and still hasn't gone down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.