Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Of course, in an ideal world, I'd expect Southwest to have set up a field to enter your Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/Sentri) number (as used at GOES) first, and then for airports to come on board. But Southwest IT being what it is, it's quite possible they'll get this backwards, and that there'll be empty PreCheck lines at terminals which are 100% Southwest until Southwest IT gets its act together and adds that Trusted Traveler field.
You think that WN would do it like VX is doing it. Allow those who have Trusted Traveler numbers to get Pre now and later add their frequent flyers to the program.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by FlyingTigers
Same sign at PHX yesterday. They were using a button or something to send you on a different line. I was sent to the Pre-check line. Easy as can be but people in line were very confused as to what to do.
Was this at the C checkpoint? I went through the D checkpoint on 11/1 and didn't notice anything different.

Originally Posted by ohange
Except for one thing: The TSA won't let you into a Pre-check line without "Pre-Check" being identified on your BP. Until SWA gets their I/T ready for that, there's no reason they would print a Pre-Check icon.
This is not true. Virgin America and Alaska do not print PreCheck icons on their BPs.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog

This is not true. Virgin America and Alaska do not print PreCheck icons on their BPs.
So how would TSA know to send you to pre check?

I went through C security at PHX on 11/5, have global entry, on a BS BP and got no preferred treatment. The TSA guy as you approach the various lines was pressing a button sending people left or right. Seemed very weird
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
They use the chip the government implanted in you head?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:32 am

They scan your BP.

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
They use the chip the government implanted in you head?
Or this.

I went through C security at PHX on 11/5, have global entry, on a BS BP and got no preferred treatment. The TSA guy as you approach the various lines was pressing a button sending people left or right. Seemed very weird
Interesting. I'll have to try the C checkpoint when I leave next time.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:49 am

They scan your BP.
Where? After waiting in line with your DL? Or at the beginning of the various chutes?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Where? After waiting in line with your DL? Or at the beginning of the various chutes?
At BNA it is at the TDC. They have a dedicated PreCheck line and the guy in front of me was in the elite line. Tried the PC scan and was told to go over to the PC line. Out he goes, against the flow of the elite line to get in th PC line.

I think I would have just said the heck with it. The whole checkpoint was moving quite quickly with no backup.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
They scan your BP.
This is correct. They scan your BP to determine your eligibility. This is the way they did it before the pre-check indication was printed on your BP.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Quote:

They scan your BP.

This is correct. They scan your BP to determine your eligibility. This is the way they did it before the pre-check indication was printed on your BP.
But it should then be done at the entry point to the security lines. Or else you are waiting in a long line just to meet the TsA official that only then sends you to pre check
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:16 pm

But it should then be done at the entry point to the security lines. Or else you are waiting in a long line just to meet the TsA official that only then sends you to pre check
It varies by airport.

PDX scans you at the entrance to the checkpoint or at the ID check, depending on the side you're at.

SFO and MSP scan you before you enter the checkpoint.

PHX, LAS, LAX T5, 6, and 7 get you at the ID check station. If you don't have PreCheck, you get sent into the regular line.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:45 pm

Pre-Check coming to WN later this year!

How does TSA know I have GE if I neverbpassedbthat onto WN?

I filled in my GE number on UA website, so that is obvious
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
It's official--we just signed up.

After logging in to southwest.com and clicking my rapid rewards account, the option to opt-in appeared at the top of the screen.

Got the free WN-sponsored invite:
me (a+)
my spouse (a+)
a friend (a+)

Did not get invite:
2 children (a+)
3 friends/family (a-) both have WN credit cards
5 friends/family (no status)

I have several trips through Pre-check airports in the next few weeks.

Do any FTers who already have status through other airlines know:
Will we need to cancel and completely re-book my future reservations to have the Pre-Check designation print on boarding passes?

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 8, 2013 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I can confirm A- and no invite here.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:07 am

And for those not invited, the Known Traveler Number can be input under My Account -> My Preferences -> Contact Information.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:34 am

Just updated my account with my GE # and also accepted the WN invite. I've got a trip this week out of PreCheck airports so I'll report back. Hopefully PHX is up and running before I leave.

Sounds like WN will print it on your BP, unlike Alaska or VX. ^

Someone should break this into its own thread so folks don't have to wade through 200+ posts about WN's inept IT systems.

Originally Posted by expert7700
Do any FTers who already have status through other airlines know:
Will we need to cancel and completely re-book my future reservations to have the Pre-Check designation print on boarding passes?
If you have a GE/NEXUS number, you'll need to have WN reenter the secure flight data. Not sure how it works if you opt in.

This is also a good reminder to everyone with a GE/NEXUS number that your names need to match exactly, otherwise you won't clear. I need to call WN and have my name reformatted. That'll be a fun adventure in the morning.

Last edited by tusphotog; Nov 8, 2013 at 3:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.