Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
PDX needs to get their ...poop... together with their Precheck process. I flew out of there Monday afternoon and the A-B-C checkpoint had a looooong line. So I went over to the D-E checkpoint. They made every single person stand in the Precheck scanning line. Triple-beep after triple-beep after triple-beep. They wouldn't allow anybody to skip that line to just go into the regular security line, which only had a few people in it at any time. I get to the front of the line, the scanning dragon takes one look at my WN boarding pass and says "Southwest, you don't qualify." No ...poop... lady, and you're making me hold up the people who do! After I got through security and was picking up my stuff by the elevated TSA desk, I overheard a Prechecker complaining to the desk lady about their process, saying it made no sense. I gave my two cents as well. We both filled out TSA complaint cards that some dude apparently reads everyday. The other guy also said he knows their boss or something like that, so he was going to speak with him directly. So I have some faith that something will be done at PDX.

Start with this freak show:

http://www.portofportland.com/POP_Leadership.aspx

first initial last name (allruntogether) at portofportland.com

Hit them all and hit them hard...repeatedly. The old deal about how the TSA "doesn't work for them" is BS. The port runs the airport and the port decides where the checkpoints are and how they're configured. Squeaky wheel and all that jazz.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
PDX needs to get their ...poop... together with their Precheck process. I flew out of there Monday afternoon and the A-B-C checkpoint had a looooong line. So I went over to the D-E checkpoint. They made every single person stand in the Precheck scanning line. Triple-beep after triple-beep after triple-beep. They wouldn't allow anybody to skip that line to just go into the regular security line, which only had a few people in it at any time. I get to the front of the line, the scanning dragon takes one look at my WN boarding pass and says "Southwest, you don't qualify." No ...poop... lady, and you're making me hold up the people who do! After I got through security and was picking up my stuff by the elevated TSA desk, I overheard a Prechecker complaining to the desk lady about their process, saying it made no sense. I gave my two cents as well. We both filled out TSA complaint cards that some dude apparently reads everyday. The other guy also said he knows their boss or something like that, so he was going to speak with him directly. So I have some faith that something will be done at PDX.
The new PDX process sucks. I dealt with it last Friday night when I left on AS. At the ABC side they scanned everyone before sending them to the appropriate line. You could get around it by going behind the scanner person, like you're going to the Columbia store, and entering the elite line directly. Luckily there weren't many people in line at 6p on Friday so I was through fairly quickly. It won't be fun in the morning though.

The problem is they don't have room (PDX doesn't even have KCM) to alter the lines and do a dedicated PreCheck line, elite line, employee line and regular line. Plus the TSA seems to be woefully understaffed at times.

If you tweet flypdx, you'll get a faster, albeit 140 character, response. I was hoping this was a test, but it doesn't appear like it.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
The new PDX process sucks. I dealt with it last Friday night when I left on AS. At the ABC side they scanned everyone before sending them to the appropriate line. You could get around it by going behind the scanner person, like you're going to the Columbia store, and entering the elite line directly. Luckily there weren't many people in line at 6p on Friday so I was through fairly quickly. It won't be fun in the morning though.

The problem is they don't have room (PDX doesn't even have KCM) to alter the lines and do a dedicated PreCheck line, elite line, employee line and regular line. Plus the TSA seems to be woefully understaffed at times.

If you tweet flypdx, you'll get a faster, albeit 140 character, response. I was hoping this was a test, but it doesn't appear like it.
Thanks. Sent an email to the address on their twitter page. Looked thru some of the tweets and saw this one
Cindy Valladares ‏@cindyv 11h

So @flypdx why new process of getting ticket scanned? Defeats the purpose of priority lane http://ow.ly/i/3rte5 #longlines #notsmart
I'm glad I didn't get stuck in one that long!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm glad I didn't get stuck in one that long!
Yikes. I've seen some miserable lines there, but never to get tickets scanned.

One thing I know about PDX--I've been flying there about 2-3x a month since 2008)--the TSA and Port really DO pay attention. PDX is the only airport I've been to where the TSA actively monitors line lengths and wait time. The ticket scanning doesn't serve any purpose. It's not like PreCheck and the elite lines are separate. This is a recent thing (as in last Friday), so I suspect something is going to change.

Until then, I'm going to the Columbia store or bathroom at the D/E checkpoint before I go through security.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:42 am

Sent an email to the address on their twitter page.
Got a standard we-will-pass-it-along reply from PDX.

Dear qwertyasdfghzxcvbn,

Thank you for contacting Portland International Airport (PDX). We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your experience with the Transportation Security Administration's Pre-Check program at PDX, I'm sorry your experience wasn't a good one. I have forwarded your e-mail to the local office of the TSA, and they will get back to you as soon as they are able.

Thank you again for contacting us. I hope your next visit to PDX will be trouble-free.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:14 am

Saw a sign up on the Southwest Concourse in New Orleans Pre Check coming to that concorse in November.

Don't know if Southwest/Airtran will be on board with it but at least they didn't limit it to the Delta concourse as I had feared.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Oct 21, 2013 at 10:10 am
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:18 am

Got a standard we-will-pass-it-along reply from PDX.
And TSA's reply:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at the Portland International Airport (PDX) security checkpoint, although we were sorry to learn that it was so frustrating. You are correct in that you shouldn’t have had to wait in line to have your boarding pass scanned since you were traveling on Southwest Airlines and they are not currently participating in the TSA Pre✓™ program, however we do expect Southwest Airlines to join TSA Pre✓™ in the very near future.

This is a new procedure for us and we are still in the process of training our Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) on how best to facilitate this process. We will continue to work with and train our officers to ensure a more expedited process in the future, and I sincerely hope your next trip through PDX is a more pleasant one.

Thank you again for providing feedback – we appreciate comments both positive and negative so we can continue to improves our processes.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
"This is a new procedure for us and we are still in the process of training our Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) on how best to facilitate this process. We will continue to work with and train our officers to ensure a more expedited process in the future, and I sincerely hope your next trip through PDX is a more pleasant one."

How much training and re-training and re-training and re-training do these damn idiots need for this simple process?

As Ink would say, "It's not rocket surgery."
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:38 pm

From skyharbor.com

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) PreCheck program is expanding to additional checkpoints at Phoenix Sky Harbor International.

The program, which has been in place at the Terminal 4 A Checkpoint for US Airways, is expanding to Alaska Airlines, American, Delta, Hawaiian, and United. Southwest Airlines is expected to offer PreCheck beginning in Mid-November.
http://skyharbor.com/airlinesflights...dSecurity.html
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Though I echo the "we'll see" attitude, there seems to be some consistency with Southwest using the mid-November estimate for Pre-Check roll out. Here's to cautious hoping for the best (though I'm guessing "glitches" will move that date back!)
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by LordByran
Though I echo the "we'll see" attitude, there seems to be some consistency with Southwest using the mid-November estimate for Pre-Check roll out. Here's to cautious hoping for the best (though I'm guessing "glitches" will move that date back!)
Presumably, in preparation for WN's participation in Pre-Check, they will add a "Trusted Traveler" field to our online profiles (probably adjacent to where "Redress #" currently appears). Once we see that, hopefully Pre-Check participation will be imminent.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It seems as if TSA is messing with the Pre-Check procedure at several airports. It may not be as great as we thought just as we finally are seeing light at the end of the approval tunnel.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
It seems as if TSA is messing with the Pre-Check procedure at several airports. It may not be as great as we thought just as we finally are seeing light at the end of the approval tunnel.
It was never going to be as great as the original tests, because so few people participated. Going through North Security at ATL normally pre-check passengers arrive once every 15-30 seconds, the ID Checker mostly has nothing to do. As soon as there programs are rolled out to the mass of frequent flyers their appeal will likely diminish.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Flew of of SAT yesterday and noticed the pre-check machine being installed in Terminal A (90% southwest) and asked when they expected it to open. They said mid-November to coordinate with Southwest joining the program as well. Interested to see how much quicker it makes things there.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
It was never going to be as great as the original tests, because so few people participated. Going through North Security at ATL normally pre-check passengers arrive once every 15-30 seconds, the ID Checker mostly has nothing to do. As soon as there programs are rolled out to the mass of frequent flyers their appeal will likely diminish.
There is a big discussion on this in the DL precheck forum, a week or so ago, boarding passes with the precheck symbol are now being given out to people who aren't elites and/or have precheck. It seems like a lot of seniors are getting the precheck symbol on their boarding passes and have no clue as to how the process works.

I didn't notice it in ATL, but in Vegas on Monday there were several people in line that had no idea what the program was and were taking off their shoes, etc holding up the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.