Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ohange
Let me pose a question about Precheck here, since it would be off base for me to start a new Precheck thread...

I'm A+ / CP with SWA. But, I'm done flying them for the year (I think. Maybe one or two round trips, we'll see how it goes)...

So, If I'm at that status level with SWA, can I opt-in beginning the 13th, and will that get me a KT# that I can copy down and use on other airlines?

I'm on a temporary PLT with AA at the moment, but they haven't given me Precheck yet. I won't have enough flights to keep AA/PLT.
I echo same question about using TSA pre at other airlines that already have the program in place?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:44 pm

Final question, if airport supports TSA pre, where should I direct my wife (CP) to go through security? She normally goes through priority lane with me.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Flew out of DAL this morning first thing. Randomly chosen (along with others) to go through what I believe was the pre-check line. Didn't have to take off shoes, take laptop out, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 4:37 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ohange
So, If I'm at that status level with SWA, can I opt-in beginning the 13th, and will that get me a KT# that I can copy down and use on other airlines?
No, the only way to get a Known Traveler # is to either (a) enroll in Global Entry or (b) enroll in the new PreCheck program, once it starts accepting applications.

If you are nominated by an airline for PreCheck, that alone will not get you PreCheck with any other airline.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by derv88
but just got blue box last night
Just so I understand, had you checked before? I am A+ and CP and, so far, no blue (or any other color) box for me. I will requalify for A+ later this week. I'm trying to see if I'm shut out or whether these are rolling invitations.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
No, the only way to get a Known Traveler # is to either (a) enroll in Global Entry or (b) enroll in the new PreCheck program, once it starts accepting applications.

If you are nominated by an airline for PreCheck, that alone will not get you PreCheck with any other airline.
Not quite a complete list. You can certainly also enroll in NEXUS (and presumably also Sentri). NEXUS only costs half of what GE costs, yet gives you free GE on the side. (However: You have to go to a Canadian or border location to get your interview, you cannot do it elsewhere in the US further away from the Canadian border. So the practicality of it probably depends on whether you'd be in or very near Canada at the right time "anyway", since the extra cost of going there for no other reason would not be worth the $50 savings.)
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by derv88
Final question, if airport supports TSA pre, where should I direct my wife (CP) to go through security? She normally goes through priority lane with me.
Your wife can go to the Priority lane, or if it's shared with PreCheck, to the ID checker. Where you go is up to you. Guess it depends on where you like sleeping.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
NEXUS only costs half of what GE costs, yet gives you free GE on the side. (However: You have to go to a Canadian or border location to get your interview, you cannot do it elsewhere in the US further away from the Canadian border.
Two things: Lead time for NEXUS interviews are very, very long. A coworker had to renew his recently. His application was approved in September and he couldn't get an interview in the Pacific NW until April. Toronto, Montreal and the land border crossings there aren't any better. Not sure if GE is much better these days but there are a lot more interview locations.

There are a handful of NEXUS locations inside the US. There's one in Seattle and one in Detroit. Otherwise it's the main Canadian airports and the land border crossings to the US.

NEXUS is worth it if you go to Canada at all. I was through YVR in <60 seconds a few weeks ago. ^
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Security lines at HOU have been rearranged and there is signage for TSA Pre-Check line. Agent said it is scheduled to open this Friday.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:23 am

Is there a pre check logo on WN boarding passes now?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by stampchez
Is there a pre check logo on WN boarding passes now?
I just did OLCI for my flight tomorrow and there is no PreCheck logo on the BP. I decoded the barcode and it looks identical to one from a few months ago, so who knows. We'll see what happens...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm

Blew right through at OAK just now...nothing printed on BP, but waived right in. Located on left side where Clear used to be. Nice!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Smile

Arrived at PHX on Saturday with party of 4 at C gate checkpoint. Was randomly selected to enter new pre-check test lane to the left of the BS/A/Employee Lane. I had a hand test done, then proceeded to a mag only lane that functioned identically to other PC lanes for other carriers. I am A+/CP with a little over 200k TQPs this year.

When I logged into swabiz today I saw this:

Next flight isn't until Sunday. Hopefully everything is working by then!

My girlfriend and I are also GE members, so I will use her GE/KT# on our next flight and see how it works for her as well.

Last edited by el_jefe; Nov 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Not sure if the known traveler field has been available for input on my WN profile for a while or not, but it's there now. Just put mine and my wife's numbers in -- hopefully it means that pre-check will actually become active now.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Today in the LAS C-terminal, Pre-check was not yet active (TSA said "supposed" to be tomorrow).

However, EVERY tsa id-check podium was using new scanners to read the barcodes. They were scanning everyone's boarding pass, which logged the data into a database, and displayed "bp integrity OK, valid", followed by my full name.

Gotta hand it to the government They are (almost) to where they should have been 10 years ago.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Not exactly pre check related but I'm currently at HOU and they now have screens in the gate area displaying the standby/cleared list. Have they put these in anywhere else?

WN finally getting with the times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.