Community
Wiki Posts
Search

list of WN website bugs/issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:15 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

A few more of the innumerable annoyances:
  • The upcoming trips page gives little indication as to which flights are paid and which flights are Award flights or points flights. If you know/remember to look for the est earn +### PTS) you know it is paid, but you still can't distinguish between Award and points bookings.
  • The itinerary detail page does say "Standard Award," but only one of "BS/AT/WGA," with no way to distinguish between paid and reward bookings; you have to go three pages deep into the change process to see whether the flight options are listed in points or dollars.
  • You can't use Change Reservation to change the "bugFareType" of a trip between DOLLARS and POINTS.
On a side note: "bugFareType" is, presumably, camelCase / Hungarian Notation, though I don't know what the b, u, and g mean. Given how buggy the web site is, especially the first week of the transition, I've always found it humorous that they just come right out and name a parameter "bugFareType!"
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
OK. Here's a new one on me:

Searching for RR 1.0 travel around Thanksgiving. Suprisingly, there are standard award seats available for the days I want to travel.

Then, I try to find out what the cash fare would be.

WN's slick site will NOT return to the general booking engine---it keeps returning to the standard award booking availability screen.

I suppose if I logged out, I could then be given the chance to BUY a ticket.

Also, when navigating the site, it is not unusual for me to end up on some random page for some unknown reason. Today, it was a screen called "Why Fly Southwest?" Given my problems with their website, I thought the question might have been a hint to shop elsewhere.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by dlaue
OK. Here's a new one on me:

Searching for RR 1.0 travel around Thanksgiving. Suprisingly, there are standard award seats available for the days I want to travel.

WN's slick site will NOT return to the general booking engine---it keeps returning to the standard award booking availability screen.

I suppose if I logged out, I could then be given the chance to BUY a ticket.

Also, when navigating the site, it is not unusual for me to end up on some random page for some unknown reason. Today, it was a screen called "Why Fly Southwest?" Given my problems with their website, I thought the question might have been a hint to shop elsewhere.
Same is happening to me. I find the award availability on a SA and then I try and go back to pay with cash (even closed browser and logout) and it will not work. I then get the lovely site errors. Will try again later.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by dlaue

IIRC, at one time the Book a Flight link on the drop down menu below "Air" included the parameter/value pair: forceNewSession=yes. (Some of the items on the drop down menu still have that.) If you right click / copy either the Search Flights link from the breadcrumbs trail, or the Book a Flight link from the drop down menu, paste the link to the browser's location field, and append:
Code:
&forceNewSession=yes
to the end of the URL, you can switch to a dollars or points booking search. Of course you have to input your parameters from scratch. If you have the search saved as a frequent flight, you can use that drop down, but you still have to supply the date anew.

You can also just bookmark this link to the main flight page with that parameter included.

The old way, which was much better, doesn't work with the post-transition site, and over the course of numerous attempts the revamped web site has thwarted all my efforts to come up with a comparably effective technique.

(I'm pretty sure I could write a GreaseMonkey script that would list WGA fares in another column next to the award availability. It would probably be pretty easy for someone who is actually proficient at JavaScript and jQuery, but I have no training in either, so for me it would be lots of hours of one baby step at a time.)
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by ftnoob
IIRC, at one time the Book a Flight link on the drop down menu below "Air" included the parameter/value pair: forceNewSession=yes. (Some of the items on the drop down menu still have that.) If you right click / copy either the Search Flights link from the breadcrumbs trail, or the Book a Flight link from the drop down menu, paste the link to the browser's location field, and append:
Code:
&forceNewSession=yes
to the end of the URL, you can switch to a dollars or points booking search. Of course you have to input your parameters from scratch. If you have the search saved as a frequent flight, you can use that drop down, but you still have to supply the date anew.

You can also just bookmark this link to the main flight page with that parameter included.

The old way, which was much better, doesn't work with the post-transition site, and over the course of numerous attempts the revamped web site has thwarted all my efforts to come up with a comparably effective technique.

(I'm pretty sure I could write a GreaseMonkey script that would list WGA fares in another column next to the award availability. It would probably be pretty easy for someone who is actually proficient at JavaScript and jQuery, but I have no training in either, so for me it would be lots of hours of one baby step at a time.)
You, of course, are kidding, right?

I am not going to take extraordinary actions just to see if I can give WN some money.

In fact, f*** em!

I'm gone FOR SURE after 12/12.

I have zero ZERO confidence that they can integrate their amateur website with that of AirTran without out more outrageous DP gaffs.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:38 pm

Here we go again back to the major source of customer
dissatisfaction at SWA, inferior IT. Clearly, someone
at the executive office at SWA must understand this?????

From what I have seen post RR 2.0 (a dismal failure imho) customers
are extremely unhappy and the customer service and phone reps
all seem miserable having to fix all these errors. Can you imagine
what kind of working conditions these people must endure? One
angry customer after another.....

And the holidays are right around the corner, with winter weather
issues..
Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Some good news:

It looks like they modified the way you pick cities for to/from so that it no longer takes up to 15-20 seconds to select the city. It appear to now be instant even on the antique work computer I use.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:20 pm

Glad to hear this. It was so frustrating before to type in your
ciites and it was quicker to use the menu and select your city.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by uwfballfan
I am so sick of seeing Oops!

I think they outsourced their IT to Laurel and Hardy.
Agreed. When I see the "Oops!"...especially on the SWABIZ site, I think "how freakin juvenile."
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Not sure if this is a bug or a deliberate (but bad!) choice on SW's part...

My next flight is MDW-JAN with a stopover in MCO (because SW "helpfully" decided to get rid of nonstops from MDW-JAN).

When I'm logged in and on the main page of the website, over in the right hand bar that displays information about my upcoming trips it tells me my next trip is from Chicago to Orlando.

Since MCO is another destination I frequently travel to (unfortunately) I panicked and thought I'd booked to the wrong destination.

I think the way they choose to display this is misleading (if it is indeed a deliberate choice).
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
wrong flight time

So I went to check-in and print my boarding pass yesterday for my 6:30AM flight today and it says my flight from SMF-SNA departs at 8:30am. Oh no, did I book the wrong flight ? Well I guess I gotta go ahead and check-in. Then my boarding pass shows the correct 6:30am departure time.

My friend left Sunday evening from SMF-SNA and his reservation says it leaves at 11pm instead of 9pm and arrives after 12:30 am, yeah right midnight arrivals into SNA where the rich people dont want to hear planes after 10pm.

I guess it's Texas time.

My Wed flight says I leave SNA at 11:25pm and arrive SMF at 12:45am.

This is going to screw someone up.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:30 am

Not seeing this mentioned when using the browser's Find: View Itinerary, a 1-stop shows as a nonstop.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:29 am
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GumboCook
So I went to check-in and print my boarding pass yesterday for my 6:30AM flight today and it says my flight from SMF-SNA departs at 8:30am. Oh no, did I book the wrong flight ? Well I guess I gotta go ahead and check-in. Then my boarding pass shows the correct 6:30am departure time.

My friend left Sunday evening from SMF-SNA and his reservation says it leaves at 11pm instead of 9pm and arrives after 12:30 am, yeah right midnight arrivals into SNA where the rich people dont want to hear planes after 10pm.

I guess it's Texas time.

My Wed flight says I leave SNA at 11:25pm and arrive SMF at 12:45am.

This is going to screw someone up.
Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing; the flight is listed at the wrong time (2 hours later than the actual flight time) in the Upcoming Trips view on the My Travel tab; but when I click into the reservation to look at the details, it's showing the correct time. It's this way for both of the RT flights I have booked.

Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Has anyone been able to change a ticket online in the last few days? I'm getting the Infamous Oops! at the "I Wish To Make These Changes" stage.

... and I see the "Central TIme Bug" is still there, after several days. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, WN?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I changed a ticket with no problems yesterday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.