Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to quickly check fare after searching for award seats

How to quickly check fare after searching for award seats

Old Jul 13, 2008, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

Lightbulb How to quickly check fare after searching for award seats

A few days ago I almost booked flights on another airline after running out of patience with the relatively poor search capabilities of the Plan Trip page on southwest.com. I have therefore begun experimenting with ways to improve the experience. Here is a tip I discovered this morning: When you want a quick answer to the question "what would it cost to purchase a ticket for this flight instead of burning an award?" all you have to do is append "&type=" (without the quotes) to the URL already shown in your browser while the "Select Flight" page is displayed. The quickest way to do that in most (non-Mac) browsers is:
  1. Press Alt-D (IE and Firefox) or Ctrl-L (Opera and Firefox)
  2. Press right-arrow key (or End key)
  3. Type (or paste from clipboard): &type=
  4. Press Enter
  5. Voila! View the pricing for your selected route and dates!
On their "Review Trip Itinerary" page, continental.com conveniently displays "Without redeeming your miles, this trip is currently available in Economy Class for a total of $___ for all passengers." and the hot-linked text "Purchase this reservation without redeeming miles." It would have been trivial for southwest to put a clickable link to a standard fare search on the award availability display, so it is quite an annoyance that they make us "Start Over" and enter all the search parameters again.

A few other things to note:
  • The full parameter is probably supposed to be "&type=Standard" but standard is the default so only the part through "=" is required.
  • It doesn't matter whether your search returned award availability or not, you can still use this tip to quickly switch to a standard search;
  • This only works if you do the award search first (but see additional tip below);
  • Edit: (I wanted to edit this last point to display it in a strike-through font. It appears, however, that this bbs does not support that style, so I have italicized it and made it the smallest supported font.) When you execute the standard search the server will update your session parameters. If you use the back function of the browser to return to the award search results and then click the seat finder link, you will be shown the low fare calendar instead of the SeatFinder calendar. If you want to easily recover access to SeatFinder, simply change the parameter at the end of the URL line to "&type=RapidRewards", press Enter, and then click the SeatFinder link. This parameter must be entered in full and exactly as listed here, including capitalization, or it will be ignored and a standard search will be performed. Edit: I now suspect that something I did in another window or tab affected the session parameters; I have not been able to duplicate the behaviour described in this bullet point.
Note to Brian: the shortcomings of the Plan Trip page relative to current industry standards are so significant that, IMO, they really need to be addressed ASAP. This should not wait for southwest.com 2.0. Southwest.com imposes an enormous "time tax" on price-sensitive travelers. Isn't that, in effect, a "hidden charge" that violates company ideals?

Last edited by ftnoob; Jan 1, 2009 at 11:01 pm Reason: Add alternative shortcut in step 1
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

I should have mentioned you can also switch to a companion pass search by appending "&type=Companion" (without the quotes) to the URL. Suppose you have successfully booked an award seat and want to add a companion. To avoid entering the city pairs and dates from scratch, it might work to use the browser back history list to jump all the way back to the search results page and add the companion parameter to the URL. I did not make a dummy award reservation to test this, so it might not work; the server's session data may not allow it (you might see the "you have already booked this itinerary" message).

Also, I meant to clarify that these tips should also work on the Mac, I just don't know how to translate the Alt-D keystroke sequence into whatever is required on Mac browsers.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Also, I meant to clarify that these tips should also work on the Mac, I just don't know how to translate the Alt-D keystroke sequence into whatever is required on Mac browsers.
what are you trying to do with alt-D? it's probably apple key+D, but I'm not sure what that shortcut does
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:34 pm
bex

Alt-D or Apple-L (in Camino, and others) selects the URL bar and allows you type in it without having to click with the mouse.

The directions are the quickest way because there is no mousing involved.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:00 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
A few days ago I almost booked flights on another airline after running out of patience with the relatively poor search capabilities of the Plan Trip page on southwest.com. I have therefore begun experimenting with ways to improve the experience. Here is a tip I discovered this morning: When you want a quick answer to the question "what would it cost to purchase a ticket for this flight instead of burning an award?" all you have to do is append "&type=" (without the quotes) to the URL already shown in your browser while the "Select Flight" page is displayed. The quickest way to do that in most (non-Mac) browsers is:
  1. Press Alt-D
  2. Press right-arrow key (or End key)
  3. Type (or paste from clipboard): &type=
  4. Press Enter
On their "Review Trip Itinerary" page, continental.com conveniently displays "Without redeeming your miles, this trip is currently available in Economy Class for a total of $___ for all passengers." and the hot-linked text "Purchase this reservation without redeeming miles." It would have been trivial for southwest to put a clickable link to a standard fare search on the award availability display, so it is quite an annoyance that they make us "Start Over" and enter all the search parameters again.

A few other things to note:
  • The full parameter is probably supposed to be "&type=Standard" but standard is the default so only the part through "=" is required.
  • It doesn't matter whether your search returned award availability or not, you can still use this tip to quickly switch to a standard search;
  • This only works if you do the award search first (but see additional tip below);
  • When you execute the standard search the server will update your session parameters. If you use the back function of the browser to return to the award search results and then click the seat finder link, you will be shown the low fare calendar instead of the SeatFinder calendar. If you want to easily recover access to SeatFinder, simply change the parameter at the end of the URL line to "&type=RapidRewards", press Enter, and then click the SeatFinder link. This parameter must be entered in full and exactly as listed here, including capitalization, or it will be ignored and a standard search will be performed.
Note to Brian: the shortcomings of the Plan Trip page relative to current industry standards are so significant that, IMO, they really need to be addressed ASAP. This should not wait for southwest.com 2.0. Southwest.com imposes an enormous "time tax" on price-sensitive travelers. Isn't that, in effect, a "hidden charge" that violates company ideals?
Well I will share this, but there is one thing you are forgetting at least in regard to comparing fares. Award Tickets book in their own fare bucket. Yes this could generate an "equivalent" fare but it might not be the lowest fare because your award booking "class" wouldn't recognize lower fare classifications. Why isn't it possible to first search for the lowest fare on the regular booking page by using the Southwest Shortcut, and then go to the Awards availability? (Also keep in mind Southwest Shortcut doesn't include DING fares.)

Some off your other suggestions sound interesting, and as I said I will pass along. Keep in mind though, certain other systems are having to be modified first, before we can look at southwest.com. Aslo the biggest thing to keep in mind is that I don't speak geek, but I will share with those that do.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:46 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways

Good Morning FTers!

My name is Victor and I work in the Online Solutions group within the SWA Marketing Dept. Brian frequently comes to our team with questions and suggestions from FlyerTalk, so I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself and to see if I can answer a couple questions. However, I will say that SWABrian will still remain your official spokesperson, as I will not always be around to answer (but SWABrian always seems to know how to find me.

As we have publicly stated we are hard at work to make improvements to our website, so I'm interested in knowing what you feel are the current shortcomings of the Plan Trip page. Of course, I can't promise what will or won't be implemented - but we do value our Customers input, and would like to know what about this part of the process isn't working well for you today.

I take it that you want to be able to see award availability and pricing on one screen so that you can make a decision to either purchase or use an award without having to go back and forth - and risk losing availability?

Is there something else about the search that is currently leaving us behind industry standards?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
Good Morning FTers!
Welcome (from lurking) to FlyerTalk, SWAVictor!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Welcome (from lurking) to FlyerTalk, SWAVictor!
Thanks curb! You had to know it would happen eventually
I'm happy to have my "welcome to FT" come from you!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:34 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I take it that you want to be able to see award availability and pricing on one screen so that you can make a decision to either purchase or use an award without having to go back and forth - and risk losing availability?
I don't worry about losing availability. This is more a matter of convenience and speed. User-friendliness, that's all.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by bex
Alt-D or Apple-L (in Camino, and others) selects the URL bar and allows you type in it without having to click with the mouse.
it worked in firefox as well

Good Morning FTers!...
welcome to FT! apparently you do speak geek (as brian so eloquently put it)

two related issues

here's a personal bug: when trying to book a flight using Safari on my Mac, I've noticed that hitting the back button automatically moves either one or both of the cities, or dates to a different set of dates. I normally use firefox, but i have to login with my brother's account to look at award availability because the website doesn't allow for someone to look at award availability if they don't have an open award
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:54 am

Good Morning FTers!

My name is Victor and I work in the Online Solutions group within the SWA Marketing Dept. Brian frequently comes to our team with questions and suggestions from FlyerTalk, so I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself and to see if I can answer a couple questions.
Welcome, Victor! We're glad to have you! Next thing we know, we'll have SWAGaryKelly on the forum.

From a marketing perspective, we're your ideal focus group (and we're free)!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
As we have publicly stated we are hard at work to make improvements to our website, so I'm interested in knowing what you feel are the current shortcomings of the Plan Trip page.
Hi Victor. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by sammy0623

welcome to FT! apparently you do speak geek (as brian so eloquently put it)

two related issues

here's a personal bug: when trying to book a flight using Safari on my Mac, I've noticed that hitting the back button automatically moves either one or both of the cities, or dates to a different set of dates. I normally use firefox, but i have to login with my brother's account to look at award availability because the website doesn't allow for someone to look at award availability if they don't have an open award
Thanks for the welcome!

I do speak a little geek . . but am by no means fluent .. I mean I don't dream in Geek Speak And, being a PC-guy all my life, Apple is like a whole new dialect that I haven't quite nailed down. (although I did spend too much of my weekend trying to get one of those darn phones - with no success so far).

I do have Safari for Windows so I'm going to try to recreate what you are experiencing and pass it on to our developers - they do have MAC in their lab, and they always test for compatability on multiple OS and browsers (both MAC and PC) before we release any functionality to the public. If we can recreate it - we should be able to fix it!

As for the functionality to only display award seats to a Member who actually has awards - that was a decision that came from above me - but it is a frequently heard complaint, so rest assured making a change to that policy is one of the many enhancements being considered. No promises, but its on the list!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by BNA-WNFan
Welcome, Victor! We're glad to have you! Next thing we know, we'll have SWAGaryKelly on the forum.

From a marketing perspective, we're your ideal focus group (and we're free)!
Nah, we don't like last names around here . .he'll just be SWAGary
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Instead of having separate tabs in Plan Trip, why not put both the Freedom and Standard awards columns along with the other fares on the same grid?

Then will it be possible to book one segment as an award and the return as a paid fare on the same confirmation number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.