Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Emergency landing in Yuma

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:56 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
So the roof opened up and the cabin depressurized and the pilots got the plane on the ground with no serious injuries?

I'd say the plane worked pretty well.
It certainly turned out better than the decompressions on the de Havilland Comets.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:14 pm

It does look like the tear was confined to a single "bay" in the structure. The skin is bonded to stringers so that a tear will hit one of them, turn 90 degrees and form a flap that limits the size of the hole. This prevents a catastrophic destruction like the Aloha flight. In that case, corrosion and cracks caused the skin to separate from the stringers allowing the whole top of the aircraft to blow off.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
I once heard a Southwest Airlines flight attendant say "Should there be a sudden change in cabin pressure, I would not have come to work today..." during the safety demo on a flight. I think it's time for this joke to be retired. On another note, job very well done to the pilots on WN812!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And now there is confirmation the cause was (surprise) metal fatigue.

"Investigators said the rip began where two outer panels were riveted together, and that the area around it showed evidence of pre-existing cracking due to fatigue."

"We did find evidence of widespread cracking across this entire fracture surface," National Transportation Safety Board member Robert Sumwalt told reporters. Link to BBC article.

Originally Posted by TWA884
According to NPR, FAA maintenance records indicate at least eight instances of cracking in this aircraft's frame which were repaired in March 2010.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
El Salvador? You have GOT to be kidding.

Member is requested to edit post to comply with this FT rule:
Posting Copyrighted Material
Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the person posting should not be posted on the forums without the consent of the owner…If there is a news article or other piece of information you'd like to share from the web, credit the source of the information and/or give a brief two- to three- paragraph recap of the news and provide the appropriate link to the source.

Last edited by ftnoob; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm Reason: Copyrighted material rule
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA EXP & 2M, SQ PPS, DL Diamond
I'll offer a controversial statement. This is a step that Southwest is forced to take since their labor costs are no longer competitive to marketplace. Pilot salaries in particular are above today's curve.

Last edited by ftnoob; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm Reason: remove quoted deleted content
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 200nites
I'll offer a controversial statement. This is a step that Southwest is forced to take since their labor costs are no longer competitive to marketplace. Pilot salaries in particular are above today's curve.
As of last report (right after the $10MM fine that they got knocked down to $7.5MM) they had postponed the idea.

http://www.eturbonews.com/10002/flig...thwest-workers

"Dallas-based Southwest planned a year ago to send planes to El Salvador for maintenance work. It postponed the idea, however, after getting hit with $7.5 million in safety penalties for flying planes that hadn't been.. "
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here the CNN news:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/03...ex.html?hpt=T1

Might you want to read whole news article from CNN. Thanks Guys!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Thankfully, everyone will be OK and they are addressing the issues now. Those older planes are getting scary to fly in. The seats never stay up (always recline without pressing the button) and the other thing I have seen is TSA tape holding stuff up/together.

At least it got everyone's mind off being upset about 2.0...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Originally Posted by chiproos
Now I think the world of Southwest but have a hard time agreeing that 300+ flight cancellations and over 1000 flight delays constitutes "relatively few delays and cancellations."
With the AirTran merger supposedly growing the airline by one-fifth, then the threshold for "relatively few" will go up to at least 360 cancellations and 1200 delays. That should ease our concerns about customer service even more.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by 200nites
Pilot salaries in particular are above today's curve.
So is their pilot productivity.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:39 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Used to be true; now their pilot productivity is at or near the bottom by almost any measure.

Piloting WN flights is probably more demanding than average (more takeoffs and landings), so comparably experienced SWA pilots should earn more. Over time, however, WN flights have grown longer while their pilot and FA expenses have exploded. Whoever approved those contracts on management's side really hamstrung today's version of the company.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Justin026
With the AirTran merger supposedly growing the airline by one-fifth...
I think that concerns me more than anything from a safety standpoint - bringing the corporate culture of AirTran/ValueJet into Southwest. Critter 592 crash
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Thank you, Brian for the information. But now I am concerned that that this test can be done on 60-odd planes in two days -- and that it hadn't already been done as a routine matter in the past.

Perhaps SWA can tell us about any other metal fatigue tests out in the market that can be done this quickly -- but that they have chosen not to do in the course of normal business.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:10 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by Justin026
Thank you, Brian for the information. But now I am concerned that that this test can be done on 60-odd planes in two days -- and that it hadn't already been done as a routine matter in the past.

Perhaps SWA can tell us about any other metal fatigue tests out in the market that can be done this quickly -- but that they have chosen not to do in the course of normal business.
Justin, the tests we are doing are in conjunction with the NTSB, FAA, and the Boeing Company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.