Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Emergency landing in Yuma

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by screeton
Bringing this back to SWA focus, are there any public records to indicate whether SWA participates in this outside America maintenance practice to cut costs, and if so, the extent?
WN has some work performed by Aeroman in El Salvador. I do not know the extent.

http://www.centralamericalink.com/en...ne-maintenance
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Glad that it didn't turn out like that tragic Aloha flight where the flight attendant got sucked out.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:25 pm

Southwest Flight Diverted After Sudden Depressurization

A Southwest flight from Phoenix to Sacramento was diverted after a hole was created in the top of the plane and the cabin was depressurized as a result. The plane landed safely at a military base in Arizona and there appear to have been no serious injuries.

More info here: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-yuma/152206/1
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, Avis CHM
So, this makes 2 fuselage hole incidents in 20 months for WN B737-300s, with the first found to be caused by metal fatigue. Doesn't leave a particularly warm and fuzzy feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwe...es_Flight_2294
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...elsewhere.html will move to the appropriate airline forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Newsstand
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Were any pax in the lav? Oh that's right, major loss of pressure events at FL 360 are so rare there is no need for oxygen masks in the lav.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S.../KNYL/tracklog

3 minutes to go from flight level to 10,000 quick
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I have more photos inside the plane and as you see the roof is ripped it off during 36,000 feet and went down to 11,000 feet. Here the pics:

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-yuma/152206/1
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:50 am

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
Originally Posted by SuperCarnitas
So, this makes 2 fuselage hole incidents in 20 months for WN B737-300s, with the first found to be caused by metal fatigue. Doesn't leave a particularly warm and fuzzy feeling.
That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well. One hole showing up in a roof appears as an isolated incident - two seems like a very unsettling problem.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:44 am

Thank goodness the attendants didn't yet serve (only took orders) cocktails/beverages. Can you imagine the mess: some guy's Daniel's/Coke spraying all over you and others. What happens exactly, I wonder, when instant de-pressurization happens like that? Doesn't everything (magazines, peanuts, etc.) not held down all-of-a-sudden start jetting towards the opening? I always keep my seat belt fastened during a flight---and this is exactly why. On the other hand, hey, I think a moonroof/sunroof would be a good idea---why don't manufacturers consider it?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:45 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Followup Southwest statement

This was issued early this morning:

Carrier To Begin Aggressive Inspection of Fleet to Ensure Safety

DALLAS, April 2, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) said early this morning it is working with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) to determine the cause of a depressurization event during a Phoenix-Sacramento flight on Friday that diverted to Yuma, Ariz., for a successful emergency landing. Further, the carrier has decided to keep a subset of its Boeing 737 fleet out of the flying schedule to begin an aggressive inspection effort in cooperation with Boeing engineers.

"The safety of our Customers and Employees is our primary concern, and we are grateful there were no serious injuries," said Mike Van de Ven, Southwest's executive vice president and chief operating officer. "We have launched personnel to Yuma to begin the investigation process with the NTSB, FAA, and appropriate parties to determine the cause of the depressurization."

There were 118 passengers on board and five Phoenix-based crew members aboard Flight 812. Preliminary reports indicated the aircraft lost pressure and oxygen masks were deployed. After the plane landed safely in Yuma, the crew confirmed a hole in the top of the aircraft, approximately mid-cabin. One flight attendant was treated at the scene for a minor injury, as was at least one passenger. No injuries required transport to the hospital. The Company arranged for a Southwest Airlines aircraft to transport the Customers from Yuma to Sacramento last night.

Southwest is working with Boeing on an inspection regimen for the 81 affected Boeing 737 aircraft in the fleet, which are covered by a set of Federal Aviation Administration Airworthiness Directives aimed at inspections for aircraft skin fatigue. These aircraft will be inspected over the course of the next several days.

Southwest is working aggressively to minimize Customer inconvenience. Customers are encouraged to check flight status at www.southwest.com before heading to the airport, and any inconvenienced Customers will be reaccommodated.

SOURCE Southwest Airlines
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by VegasCableGuy
That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well. One hole showing up in a roof appears as an isolated incident - two seems like a very unsettling problem.
... and I'm curious if this was a WiFi-equipped aircraft, as (IIRC) the other one was, too.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:19 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and I'm curious if this was a WiFi-equipped aircraft, as (IIRC) the other one was, too.
No it wasn't. WiFi is only being installed in the -700 and the -800s to come
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I get the impression it was WiFi equipped based on articles I've read of people sending text / SMS messages and such ... unless they just turned their phones on and got a signal from the ground (entirely possible).

I flipped my phone on earlier this week in-flight; turned it on to check the time, and then realized the phone wasn't set to "flight mode."

During the minute or two it wasn't set on flight mode, I did not pick up a signal from the ground, but I think we were out over water & still outside of CONUS at the time.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just saw this on the news. Glad to see everyone was ok. Wonder what sorta comp they get from WN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.