Wiki Posts
Search

WN Emergency landing in Yuma

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
A little off-topic, but we actually did buy a couple of used birds from Ford. The pair of -700s were previously used as corporate shuttles over in Europe....
How exactly happened to them? WN does not have a safety properly and it was absolutely very worst airlines and they violations from FAA for numerous of the times. They didn't have to inspections the older model for a long time. I believe they didn't have checking inside the aircraft and they should have to do reviews to checks the roof outiside the aircraft. They have to makes sure it is sealable and not try to cause damaged the plane.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by gogreyhound
I have never been a fan of Trailways on the Tarmac, but things are turning to be worse than I expected.
And yet you continue to fly them. Since you've ignored my question from a few days ago, let me ask again: when are you actually going to "go Greyhound" instead of WN?

Originally Posted by traveller001
If they maintain them properly. WN was fined 7.5M for violation of ADs (2nd largest in FAA history). After that if there's anything amuck with the records on this AC their certificate is legitimately in jeopardy.
WN's certificate is not in jeopardy. Could they get fined? Sure. But their certificate will not get pulled.

I actually sat next to WN's director for maintenance compliance on a flight out of DAL. A really, really nice woman with a hell of a sense of humor. She said she was brought on as part of that big settlement back when WN got fined. Wonder how she's enjoying this weekend...

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Aeroman also services WN. It'll be interesting to see how many more catastrophic close calls like this one will have to occur before our members of Congress buck their corporate masters and do some due diligence on this.
You're making the assumption that this aircraft was inspected, repaired and signed off by Aeroman, and that inspection was for fuselage cracking/metal fatigue. It could have been nicked by a deice bucket in BUF a few days ago or maybe it was hit by a small meteor.

By the way, Aeroman also does maintenance for jetBlue, America West/US Air (I don't know if US East sends planes there or not), TACA and I think UA sends some planes down there.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Dude Perfect has 10 million rapid reward points to give away.

The contest just got a bit more fun: maybe they will now aim to shoot the basketball INTO the plane instead of the boring original contest were they just had to shoot it into a hoop.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We may never know the denouement - the last similar 2009 incident was settled confidentially (only four months after WN paid the $7.5 M fine).

The number of cycles WN a/c fly puts WN at a disadvantage compared to long-haul airlines - more fatigue, much like the Aloha aircraft flying interisland were.

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I guess WN is holding off on comp for a good reason. They want to see how long it will take for the first lawsuit to be filed!

I say by Monday, some passenger on board the flight will undoubtedly sue for millions.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to NPR, FAA maintenance records indicate at least eight instances of cracking in this aircraft's frame which were repaired in March 2010.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Just read that ea pax received full refund and 2 comp rt tickets
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And the juries will award hundreds of millions. Then the Supreme Court will reverse the awards to a few dollars each in its tradition of seeing corporations as more worthy persons than are actual human beings.
In what way do you figure ANYONE on this flight needs millions in the first place?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by dukyluky
the 737 have always been a maintence fiasco...metal fetigue...hydraulic line breaks, electronic wireing shorting, etc...

the -700 started to fix these issues...
Keep in mind that about 6,700 737s have been built making it by far the most popular civilian jet airliner. With that many out there any issues that are there are more likely to manifest themselves.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:40 am

Bearing in mind a recent announcement that removes emergency oxygen from aircraft toilets were any passengers using the toilets during this and if so what was the effect?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Friend of mine was on this plane, but got off in PHX prior to the hole opening up.

Let us not forget that WN was fined 7.5 millionby the NTSB in 2009 for failing to check for microcracks. It happened then, and it appears to have happened again.

I have always been a bit nervous about the rapid cycling of WN aircraft. I know planes make no money on the ground, but it has always been in the back of my mind.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Very glad no one was seriously hurt. Why did the plane land in Yuma?

Looking at the map, the route from Phoenix to Sacramento should have had the plane closer to Riverside or Las Vegas. Seems like a significant detour to fly south to Yuma?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:14 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
So the roof opened up and the cabin depressurized and the pilots got the plane on the ground with no serious injuries?

I'd say the plane worked pretty well.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
So the roof opened up and the cabin depressurized and the pilots got the plane on the ground with no serious injuries?

Worked well? The sunroof shouldnt have opened up in the first place.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Out of my Element

^ Crew and aircraft performed admirably.

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Worked well? The sunroof shouldnt have opened up in the first place.
That's the kind of logic that's equivalent to "Sully should've climbed more steeply to avoid the geese" which leads to "if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with wings..."
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Very glad no one was seriously hurt. Why did the plane land in Yuma?

Looking at the map, the route from Phoenix to Sacramento should have had the plane closer to Riverside or Las Vegas. Seems like a significant detour to fly south to Yuma?
Looking at the flight track that was on flightaware it looked like the original flight plan took it toward the CA desert (Salton Sea area?) and then north. The plane was closest to Yuma when the incident occurred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.