Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Emergency landing in Yuma

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by FrontRow
What comp?? UNBELIEVABLE that this question would even be asked.
And you've been around here since 2000? Seriously, the question shouldn't surprise you.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
Originally Posted by chanp
... Wonder what sorta comp they get from WN?
Refund for one way portion of their trip and vouchers for 2 trips (uncertain if 2 one-ways or 2 round trips). Source: CNN
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TWA A380
Refund for one way portion of their trip and vouchers for 2 trips (uncertain if 2 one-ways or 2 round trips). Source: CNN
Unfortunately, you will get fully refund the money for your next future trip. I am afraid lots of those passengers who stuck at airports. They will have try to put on next flight out or fly another airlines. They are very extremely disappointed the news to hear. Hopeless, sometimes in the couple days when the entire -300 is ready to put back on revenue routes again. It will take a times when the entire -300 is completions inspections.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperCarnitas
So, this makes 2 fuselage hole incidents in 20 months for WN B737-300s, with the first found to be caused by metal fatigue. Doesn't leave a particularly warm and fuzzy feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwe...es_Flight_2294
Especially when the first -300 was delivered in 1984...and the last in 99....these are old, old, old! There is a reason all the larger airlines are getting rid of them.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
There's lots of planes from the 80s and early 90s still in use; this isn't some Ford you bought off a dealer's lot, so "old" means little here.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:51 pm

Wonder what sorta comp they get from WN?
I thought this was one of the "benefits" of RR 2.0--your choice of open seating or open-air seating.
I have never been a fan of Trailways on the Tarmac, but things are turning to be worse than I expected.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
There's lots of planes from the 80s and early 90s still in use; this isn't some Ford you bought off a dealer's lot, so "old" means little here.
the 737 have always been a maintence fiasco...metal fetigue...hydraulic line breaks, electronic wireing shorting, etc...

the -700 started to fix these issues...
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:09 pm

A little off-topic, but we actually did buy a couple of used birds from Ford. The pair of -700s were previously used as corporate shuttles over in Europe....
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
If they maintain them properly. WN was fined 7.5M for violation of ADs (2nd largest in FAA history). After that if there's anything amuck with the records on this AC their certificate is legitimately in jeopardy.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That was indeed tragic - but to add some perspective to WN 812 (time to withdraw that flight number), the 737 is pretty well overbuilt in most ways.

Aloha 243 on arrival at Kahului - a true "okole squeezer"

Southwest 812 (goodbye overhead luggage) from Christine Ziegler

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Glad that it didn't turn out like that tragic Aloha flight where the flight attendant got sucked out.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by traveller001
If they maintain them properly. WN was fined 7.5M for violation of ADs (2nd largest in FAA history). After that if there's anything amuck with the records on this AC their certificate is legitimately in jeopardy.
Yes, unfortunately, they didn't do it at all. They are not responsible for safety inspections the entire aircraft. I was too ashamed for what they did to them. I wasn't pleasure to fly on WN for a long time. Does not have a safety properly at all and after all of those years they violations from FAA regulations. Gary Kelly behaviors that he doesn't changes at all. He wasn't aware of the older aircraft that didn't have a inspections for a long time. They failed to comply follows the rules from FAA regulations. They should have ensure to follows the specific rules.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Potential red herring here. Some of these "third world" facilities provide a level of service exceeding what you would find in a US based shop. The airlines should feel lucky Oberstar got fired by the MN tea party; he'd be all over this like white on rice.
Oh yeah? How would anybody know? The FAA isn't inspecting these facilities:

http://knowledgebase.findlaw.com/kb/2009/Dec/59093.html

Outsourcing Raises Serious Safety Questions

The problem with outsourcing, particularly to maintenance and repair shops located overseas, is that these shops are difficult to monitor. In addition to the 4,227 domestic repair shops located in the U.S., there are roughly 700 FAA approved foreign repair shops in 70 countries. The FAA is required to inspect and monitor all of these on a regular basis through a system of checks and balances. According to the DOT’s Inspector General, this system is flawed.

The OIG report, Air Carriers’ Outsourcing of Aircraft Maintenance, Federal Aviation Administration Report Number: AV-2008-090, issued on September 30, 2008, became a scathing review of the FAA’s role, or lack thereof, in the inspection and supervision of many foreign aircraft maintenance shops, which are supposed to maintain comparable safety standards to the U.S. counterparts.

The Inspector General reported that the FAA and industry inspectors have not been properly monitoring aircraft maintenance work. According to the report, “while the FAA has begun moving its safety oversight toward a risk-based system, it still relies too heavily on air carriers’ oversight procedures, which are not always sufficient.”

Specifically, the OIG determined that the “FAA did not (1) have an adequate system for determining how much and where the most critical maintenance occurs, (2) have a specific policy governing when certificate management inspectors should visit repair stations performing substantial maintenance, (3) require inspectors to validate that repair stations have corrected deficiencies identified in air carrier audits, and (4) have adequate controls to ensure that inspectors document inspection findings in the national database and review related findings by other inspectors. As a result, the FAA could not effectively target its inspection resources to those repair stations providing the highest volume of repairs, which caused deficiencies at repair stations to go undetected or reoccur and prevented inspectors from obtaining sufficient data to perform comprehensive risk assessments.”

Close Calls Don’t Inspire Confidence

One foreign shop, in particular, became the focus of NPR’s report on the industry’s growing trend of outsourcing maintenance. That particular facility is Aeroman repair station in El Salvador which made a mistake that could have potentially been catastrophic. In January 2009, a US Airways jet traveling from Omaha to Phoenix was forced to land in Denver after the pressure seal around the main cabin door started to fail. It was later discovered that the mechanics at Aeroman had installed an important door component backwards.
Aeroman also services WN. It'll be interesting to see how many more catastrophic close calls like this one will have to occur before our members of Congress buck their corporate masters and do some due diligence on this.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by sctn8gp
it's probably accurate. in a loss of cabin pressure situation the pilot won't mess around, every second is precious. ride comfort goes out the...."window" so to speak. it isn't an uncontrolled dive, but to the passengers it will seem that way.
I would've loved to have been on that plane during that crazy descent!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Just saw this on the news. Glad to see everyone was ok. Wonder what sorta comp they get from WN?
I guess WN is holding off on comp for a good reason. They want to see how long it will take for the first lawsuit to be filed!

I say by Monday, some passenger on board the flight will undoubtedly sue for millions.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I guess WN is holding off on comp for a good reason. They want to see how long it will take for the first lawsuit to be filed!

I say by Monday, some passenger on board the flight will undoubtedly sue for millions.
And the juries will award hundreds of millions. Then the Supreme Court will reverse the awards to a few dollars each in its tradition of seeing corporations as more worthy persons than are actual human beings.

Remember that Aloha event. Pretty fantastic picture! Amazingly no larger number of fatalities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.