Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving brouhaha

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:55 pm
cxn

I dont think people should save the first couple of rows or exit row.
I personally dont care to sit in the 'front' of the plane and usually sit behind exit row.
I save seats for my family (or they just board with me). I havent had some try to 'force' themselves into the saved seats yet. And if they did, I would deny them.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would have told her if it was so important for her to sit with her family then she should have sat in the back of the plane and/or paid for EBCI for her kids.
I mentioned EBCI and she got a faraway glaze over her eyes and then had the guts to ask what EBCI was.

The kicker to this is that we had been delayed in MDW for 8 hrs. because of "Air Traffic Control Hold" whatever that is, and weather. I was really fed up with her, but that can be another complete post regarding arrival times in EWR.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cxn
I personally dont care to sit in the 'front' of the plane and usually sit behind exit row.
I save seats for my family (or they just board with me). I havent had some try to 'force' themselves into the saved seats yet. And if they did, I would deny them.
How would you deny them exactly? It's first come, first served, and you only get the seat you are sitting in.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cxn
And how can you deny them? It's open seating. If it's that important you sit together then pay for EBCI or business select and it shouldn't be an issue or fly a legacy where they reserve seats.

If an aisle seat is available and someone tells me it is saved, unless there is an aisle seat only a couple rows back, I am going to take it. That's the purpose of OPEN seating.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
What's the over/under on when WN will finally realize that "no policy" on this issue actually IS a policy, and one that's hacking off a lot of customers?

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What's the over/under on when WN will finally realize that "no policy" on this issuse actually IS a policy, and one that's hacking off a lot of customers?
I am betting on NEVER...although they should have done it the day they came out with numbered boarding passes. And failing that...which they did...they should have done it the day they began offering EBCI.

Once they have a differential revenue profile for some customers, they cannot devalue that by turning a blind eye to seat saving.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Seriously, this is Southwest. It's not a 15-hour flight across the Pacific to Sydney. Unless it's a small child or someone who requires assistance, is your life really going to end if you don't sit together for a couple of hours?

Why is there such hysteria with the seat-saving? If it's that important, spring for early check-in or fly an airline that has reserved seats (although that has been fraught with issues when assignments aren't available together).

I guess it's lost on me since I mostly travel alone but even when I have traveled with friends, partners/SO's it's just not a big deal.

To use profanity when you can't save a seat for your wife? Unbelievable...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Unless it's a small child or someone who requires assistance, is your life really going to end if you don't sit together for a couple of hours?
+1. I usually have to sit next to my companion in the rental car or hotel, so a few hours separated from them on a metal tube is a welcome break.

Great username btw.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Amicus
Recently boarded the plane for a three hour flight that the gate attendant stated would be totally full. So, first available row with two seats together was the first row. Except that the man in the aisle seat had placed various random personal items across both seats. While my daughter fit our carryon bag in the overhead bin, I attempted to sit in one of the two seats. The man grumbled loudly, but moved items off one seat only, stating that "my wife is sitting here." We asked where she was, and he said "she's coming." Meanwhile the flight attendant is observing, but saying nothing. My daughter tries to sit in the middle seat and asks him to pick up his random items. She asks the flight attendant to help. He then states, "you are a b **** " and refuses to move them. Flight attendant looks wide eyed at us, then repeats to him that he can't save seats. He moves his stuff to the aisle seat across from him, to save that seat now.
We are now both seated. Still no mystery wife. Finally, at the very end of the C group, the wife boards and sits in the saved aisle seat.
Gate agent boards plane, motions to man to accompany her to jetway to speak to her. We never saw him again. The wife remained on board and kept his personal items, opting not to take a "later flight" with him.
Apparently he was not drunk, but had "space issues" , we were informed.
After a flight back from Las Vegas where my wife was told by a woman sitting in the window that the middle seat was saved, I emailed SW customer service. Here is there reply:

"Dear X,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

As you probably know, all flights on Southwest are "open-seating," and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft. In light of this, it is not uncommon for a Customer to want to reserve a seat (or seats) for a friend, family member, or associate who will be boarding behind them.

Truthfully, we don’t have a policy either way--for or against--saving seats. In fact, we share our perspective on this issue on southwest.com as follows: "because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, general-boarding Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat." With this in mind, as long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group. We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue.

Again, we appreciate your contacting us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a Southwest flight soon.

Sincerely,

Marco, Southwest Airlines"

I guess this means if you are travelling with your family, spend the extra $10 for EB and save seats for your whole family. The flight attendants can't do anything to stop you.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by shadowbozo
After a flight back from Las Vegas where my wife was told by a woman sitting in the window that the middle seat was saved, I emailed SW customer service. Here is there reply:

"Dear X,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

As you probably know, all flights on Southwest are "open-seating," and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft. In light of this, it is not uncommon for a Customer to want to reserve a seat (or seats) for a friend, family member, or associate who will be boarding behind them.

Truthfully, we don’t have a policy either way--for or against--saving seats. In fact, we share our perspective on this issue on southwest.com as follows: "because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, general-boarding Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat." With this in mind, as long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group. We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue.

Again, we appreciate your contacting us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a Southwest flight soon.

Sincerely,

I guess this means if you are travelling with your family, spend the extra $10 for EB and save seats for your whole family. The flight attendants can't do anything to stop you.
Translation: We're happy to take as much money as your party is willing to pay for the perception of early-bird check-in. But we're not willing to confront anyone who abuses the system. Thus, your placement in line may be thoroughly diluted by others who choose to save seats. Thank you for your luv.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by shadowbozo

"Dear X,

Sincerely,

WOW!!! There it is in writing. First time I've seen WN actually spell it out in writing. That means you CAN save a seat an no one at WN will challenge you.

There is no definition of what a "seat" is, so I assume that could include window seats, aisle seats, exit rows (if they meet FAA guidelines), and seats near the front of the plane.

This almost seems unethical as many pay $10 for EB to snag a better boarding location. Based on this repsonse from WN, a family of 5 should pay for one (1) EB, then have someone save 4 seats for their C-boarding companions. If the FA (or passengers) challenge them on the action, they should flash a copy of this letter. They are within WN poliocy on the matter...right?

WOW!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boeing727
WOW!!! There it is in writing. First time I've seen WN actually spell it out in writing. That means you CAN save a seat an no one at WN will challenge you.

There is no definition of what a "seat" is, so I assume that could include window seats, aisle seats, exit rows (if they meet FAA guidelines), and seats near the front of the plane.

This almost seems unethical as many pay $10 for EB to snag a better boarding location. Based on this repsonse from WN, a family of 5 should pay for one (1) EB, then have someone save 4 seats for their C-boarding companions. If the FA (or passengers) challenge them on the action, they should flash a copy of this letter. They are within WN poliocy on the matter...right?

WOW!
That is exactly my point. Southwest just confirmed they have no policy. If you have 5 others traveling with you, you can save two whole rows. I can't wait for a Flight Attendant to challenge me on this. Southwest does it again with a policy that makes absolutely no sense.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Oh just take it any way. If they want to be jerks, take the middle seat and squash 'em both. I did it when some guy took 11C and tried to save 11A for his buddy in the next letter group.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Last week, I got on a plane and the guy in the exit row (11) was sitting in the window seat, saving the entire 3-seat row. I went to sit in the aisle seat, he challenged me on this saying his wife and aunt were sitting in the two saved seats. I asked him if they were on the plane, and he said they were coming. Since I was on first, I took the aisle seat, and got into an argument with him, but I refused to move. I told him if he wants to save 2 seats, go to a regular row in the back of the plane and he wouldn't have anyone challenge him. He called me a jerk, and I responded accordingly. He finally got up and left, used a word I can't use here, and moved 2 rows back and saved that row, and two other people took the two available exit row seats. I looked back during the flight, and he was sitting in that window seat with his wife (apparently) in the aisle and no one in the middle seat, which he also saved to prevent someone from occupying the middle seat. No "aunt" in sight. No FA ever got involved in our situation, but I would have also held firm with her (or him) if I would have gotten a "no real policy" reply.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by srk123
Last week, I got on a plane and the guy in the exit row (11) was sitting in the window seat, saving the entire 3-seat row. I went to sit in the aisle seat, he challenged me on this saying his wife and aunt were sitting in the two saved seats. I asked him if they were on the plane, and he said they were coming. Since I was on first, I took the aisle seat, and got into an argument with him, but I refused to move. I told him if he wants to save 2 seats, go to a regular row in the back of the plane and he wouldn't have anyone challenge him. He called me a jerk, and I responded accordingly. He finally got up and left, used a word I can't use here, and moved 2 rows back and saved that row, and two other people took the two available exit row seats. I looked back during the flight, and he was sitting in that window seat with his wife (apparently) in the aisle and no one in the middle seat, which he also saved to prevent someone from occupying the middle seat. No "aunt" in sight. No FA ever got involved in our situation, but I would have also held firm with her (or him) if I would have gotten a "no real policy" reply.
It's a shame we have to do this, but if we don't then we fly 50+ segments to earn A+ for nothing, or pay $10 for EB for nothing and so on. If the seat is viewed as premium to me (meaning I want it), if no one is there I get it. Nuff' said!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.