Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving brouhaha

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jkburns1
Flying MHT-MDW-TUS-MDW-MHT in a few weeks w/ wife and daughter. I'm AL but wife is on CP and daughter on an old std award so no opp for EBCI.

So does everyone agree I should save the exit row?

Honestly, I have my doubts even if I'm vigilant w/ T-24 for them that we'll even be able to sit together.

Guess that's just one more reason why I haven't flown a WN flight since April and RR2.0. I think the new 2.0 did me a favor and this will be an excellent reminder why I'm preferring and really enjoying my UACO Gold/1p status and soon to be Platinum/1k (even if it sticks me with a fair # of WN replacement flights on US as mere *G)
I know you can do EBCI for that standard award, I always did it since I used the tickets for long flights and didn't want to have to deal with having to be at my phone or a computer at exactly t-24.

I am pretty sure you can do it for a companion pass also. I would do EBCI for one of the people in your party, not take an exit row or a seat towards the front or other highly desirable row. If you board with a-list you should be able to find 3 seats together. take the aisle and then have the person on ebci take the window. Even if the third person is in late C most people aren'tgoing to complain if you have a center seat saved in a certain row and will just move on to another row.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I board early, sit close to the front, no exit or bulkhead, and save the middle seat by placing a single item of importance in it. I have taken the last 20-25 flights this way, almost half sold out and completely full. The seat is reserved to no later boarding passenger. Oh, people ask and I have to nicely tell them to move along that the seat is reserved. One man grumbled that it is WN and one can not reserve seats.

If I see one of those cards on a middle seat and the person is in the window and the aisle is empty I grab that aisle seat up Only has happened twice, but I liked it both times. Meant no one in the middle seat. Both times there were people boarding in C that tried taking the seat since both times it was near the front, when it was the first available middle seat available but when the person in the window seat pointed out it was reserved, the people never gave them a hassle and just kept moving back.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:14 am

Is seat saving enforceable?

I understood WN had no policy to prevent one from saving a seat for a family member. "This seat is taken" it is difficult to dispute during the boarding process.

And nothing beats actually sitting next to the person you just had the dispute with for the next hour or 2 or 3.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Is seat saving enforceable?

I understood WN had no policy to prevent one from saving a seat for a family member. "This seat is taken" it is difficult to dispute during the boarding process.

And nothing beats actually sitting next to the person you just had the dispute with for the next hour or 2 or 3.
Enforceable? No one seems to know with certainty. There have been long threads on the matter here with never a firm resolution.

Most of us will say, and there are some that will disagree, that saving a single middle seat, in a non-exit, non bulkhead row will not be objectionable.

The main problems occur when multiple seats are saved or when seats are saved in the very few seats that can be considered "premium" seats (a term defined loosely) on WN. In general, the "premium" seats are the 11A-11C exit row with extra legroom, 12F the infinite legroom seat, the LUV-bird seats 11D-E (which have no special room advantage) and the bulkhead seats.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Exactly, and those people that want to save seats, should fly one of those ailrines that reserve seats so they can sit together.

I honestly don't understand why people make a huge deal if they can't sit together for a few hours. I understand a parent needing to sit with a small child.
Or they could board at the same time on WN. WN sells early boarding privileges, correct?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Or they could board at the same time on WN. WN sells early boarding privileges, correct?
YEs, that would make the most sense is to pay for EBCI. I was referring to the people that were too cheap to pay for EBCI for everyone, and having the one paid EBCI passenger hold the seats for the others.

Even if everyone has EBCI, there is no guarantee they will sit together. Even if there are a lot of a-listers and throughs on the plane, chances are they will find a row of 3 seats together with EBCI, but still n o guarantee like with assigned seats.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
YEs, that would make the most sense is to pay for EBCI. I was referring to the people that were too cheap to pay for EBCI for everyone, and having the one paid EBCI passenger hold the seats for the others.

Even if everyone has EBCI, there is no guarantee they will sit together. Even if there are a lot of a-listers and throughs on the plane, chances are they will find a row of 3 seats together with EBCI, but still n o guarantee like with assigned seats.
The idea of paying for earlier boarding is silly. If I am split up, I carry the other person's bag, sit in the middle, stick the bag next to me. If anyone asks, I say he/she is in the john. Who's to say. Just another reason the whole Southwest experience has worn thin. T'was a time the GA would allow split parties to board together. Sigh.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pete4abw
The idea of paying for earlier boarding is silly. If I am split up, I carry the other person's bag, sit in the middle, stick the bag next to me. If anyone asks, I say he/she is in the john. Who's to say. Just another reason the whole Southwest experience has worn thin. T'was a time the GA would allow split parties to board together. Sigh.
Yeah, lying is always an acceptable plan.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T'was a time the GA would allow split parties to board together. Sigh.
And you can. Both can buy EBCI at the same time and will probably have consecutive numbers.

Or another thing that will work if you dn't have consecutive numbers. If the personwith the lowest number boards with the person with the higher number instead, the GA can't say a thing and you will be boarding together.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
And you can. Both can buy EBCI at the same time and will probably have consecutive numbers.

Or another thing that will work if you dn't have consecutive numbers. If the personwith the lowest number boards with the person with the higher number instead, the GA can't say a thing and you will be boarding together.
Righto. On CO, US, UA, almost everyone else, you board with the highest class (meaning, first). if you're content with the WN way, that's your prerogative. Me, I'll do what I have to.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:33 pm

The no-frills "fun factor" long ago left the gate. Quirky was appealing when you could reliably save $+ on every ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
I know you can do EBCI for that standard award, I always did it since I used the tickets for long flights and didn't want to have to deal with having to be at my phone or a computer at exactly t-24.

I am pretty sure you can do it for a companion pass also. I would do EBCI for one of the people in your party, not take an exit row or a seat towards the front or other highly desirable row. If you board with a-list you should be able to find 3 seats together. take the aisle and then have the person on ebci take the window. Even if the third person is in late C most people aren'tgoing to complain if you have a center seat saved in a certain row and will just move on to another row.
Guess I need to look harder... I haven't tried it in forever but last time I tried to find a way to EBCI a std award couldn't find anything on the WN site. I've definitely never tried it for the CP and just assumed you couldn't.

Thanks for heads up... going to find this EBCI for std award as we speak. ^

Although... I could save the $ and get a whole new seat saving brouhaha thread started in a few weeks on FT and go and unload some belongings across the exit row! Maybe I'll wear saggy pants too and try to move the FA's stuff from the first overhead compartment for my carry-on before I make my way to the ER!!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jkburns1
Guess I need to look harder... I haven't tried it in forever but last time I tried to find a way to EBCI a std award couldn't find anything on the WN site. I've definitely never tried it for the CP and just assumed you couldn't.

Thanks for heads up... going to find this EBCI for std award as we speak. ^

Although... I could save the $ and get a whole new seat saving brouhaha thread started in a few weeks on FT and go and unload some belongings across the exit row! Maybe I'll wear saggy pants too and try to move the FA's stuff from the first overhead compartment for my carry-on before I make my way to the ER!!!
I fly as my own companion and I am asked every time if I want to purchase EBCI for my companion. It gives me a chuckle every time. Especially since I preboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.