Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving brouhaha

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by millere2
I think if people want to save seats for their friend they should start by sitting in the back half of the plane. If you sit in the front half or exit rows of course everyone is going to want your seat.
+1. Of course, "save me a seat" doesn't seem to carry the connotation that the companion necessarily wants to sit next to you, nearly as much as they just want to be in a first class seat, and the first ones off the plane.

Biggest problem is, s-it like this delays the boarding process, particularly on a sold out flight. Why do the FA insist to take first available seat, when they could move the crowd quicker by insisting everyone walk to the back (just like a bus driver or train conductor would attempt to do when boarding too many passengers at once)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by launcher
Why do the FA insist to take first available seat, when they could move the crowd quicker by insisting everyone walk to the back (just like a bus driver or train conductor would attempt to do when boarding too many passengers at once)
Because the people who have earned or paid for a better seat don't generally like to sit in the back.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by cxn
Your sentence is contradictory.

I save seats, I don't save exit row or the first few rows. I don't think anyone should have the right to save an extra row seat.
Let me remove any ambiguity: If you happen to be "saving" an aisle seat during boarding and I happen to want it, I'm going to sit in it. That's WN's business model and if customers don't like it then vote with your wallet and try a different carrier.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by jkburns1
I understand he has no right to save the seat and I know they said flight was full... But at the time you were boarding were their two seats together available nearby?

I'm just thinking if I was in same position I'm goin a row or two or three back rather then bothering with it. As a cp holder with a wife who holds no status I've never been in a situation to have to literally save a seat for her, nor would I be gruff if someone like you wanted to make damn sure I didn't.

I just don't understand why folks are so bound and determined to make life difficult to fellow human beings. Flying would be a lot more pleasant with a little more respect, compassion and understanding for our fellow humans.

Not the "well the policy says... so I had a right.. and he can't do that" and screw that he's just trying to sit with his wife attitude (not saying poster has that attitude that's why I ask about other options poster had) just saying I see the holier then thou, who cares about the fellow passenger, I'll show him on FT all too often.
Yes, we should all just let other steamroll us and make sure we smile about it after the fact.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DillMan
Yes, we should all just let other steamroll us and make sure we smile about it after the fact.
LOL! Exactly. Can't we understand that "Common Courtesy" means letting other people's lack of foresight become your problem too? Why can't we allow ourselves to be subject to the unreasonable desires of total strangers? Yes, make your problem mine! Please sir, may I have another??

I don't care about the guy who wants to sit with his wife. He and his wife are of no concern to me. If It comes at a cost of my own personal comfort OR devalues the product I have purchased (EBCI, BS, A-list), I am taking the seat he is saving and that's it.

If there was a burden of courtesy, it belongs on the seat saver only.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
In my book, courtesy means giving someone a favor in a situation where a typical person, perhaps even yourself, might be the one needing this favor. In other words, it's simply the Golden Rule.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinworm
If there was a burden of courtesy, it belongs on the seat saver only.
+1. The seat saver is not the victim here. If it was the important for him to sit beside his wife (and IIRC it was a short flight referenced anyway) the seatsaver should have sat in the back of the plane instead of taking a coveted seat and more importantly paid for EBCI for his wife as well. Why should a person paying for EBCI be declined a seat so someone that was too cheap to pay the $10 can have that seat?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Good job, OP, for not backing down. ^

I have sympathy for, and am usually willing to work with, people who use common sense when they want to arrange a simple seat swap.

On a legacy carrier, that means offering up a better seat to the swappee, taking the worse one in exchange for getting the swap. On Southwest, that means at most saving 1 middle seat in the back of the plane.

I have zero sympathy for, and might come off a bit d!ckish towards, people who fail to use common sense and are attempting to milk both an "upgrade" and two seats together.

On Southwest, there's really no excuse to ever need to violate this basic principle: their system is set up such that anyone can simply check in at the correct time and obtain decent BP's. Even when I'm traveling with 4 people, no A-list, no EBCI, on a sold-out flight out of MCI with a bunch of thru pax, a high-A or low-B boarding pass gets some decent seats in the back.

If you're out of the country, airborne, at sea, or somewhere in the deep wilderness 24 hours prior to your flight, then just invest the $20 to get two EBCI check-ins. Piece of cake.

If you get irropped or buy your tickets inside 24 hours, then everybody in your traveling party will need to familiarize themselves with emergency in-flight survival technologies such as newspapers and magazines. But that would also be true on a legacy, even with elite status.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Good job, OP, for not backing down. ^

I have sympathy for, and am usually willing to work with, people who use common sense when they want to arrange a simple seat swap.

On a legacy carrier, that means offering up a better seat to the swappee, taking the worse one in exchange for getting the swap. On Southwest, that means at most saving 1 middle seat in the back of the plane.

I have zero sympathy for, and might come off a bit d!ckish towards, people who fail to use common sense and are attempting to milk both an "upgrade" and two seats together.

On Southwest, there's really no excuse to ever need to violate this basic principle: their system is set up such that anyone can simply check in at the correct time and obtain decent BP's. Even when I'm traveling with 4 people, no A-list, no EBCI, on a sold-out flight out of MCI with a bunch of thru pax, a high-A or low-B boarding pass gets some decent seats in the back.

If you're out of the country, airborne, at sea, or somewhere in the deep wilderness 24 hours prior to your flight, then just invest the $20 to get two EBCI check-ins. Piece of cake.

If you get irropped or buy your tickets inside 24 hours, then everybody in your traveling party will need to familiarize themselves with emergency in-flight survival technologies such as newspapers and magazines. But that would also be true on a legacy, even with elite status.
It's just the fact that he was saving the whole row, not just the seat next to him . . . on a sold out flight. Where did he think that last person to board the plane was going to sit, if he needed three seats for himself and his wife?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Amicus
It's just the fact that he was saving the whole row, not just the seat next to him . . . on a sold out flight. Where did he think that last person to board the plane was going to sit, if he needed three seats for himself and his wife?
*And* he was doing it in the front of the plane! If the GA is saying "sold out", that means the plane is full enough that the front middles will fill, even factoring in a few no-shows.

My wife and I have flown together on Southwest quite a few times. Even during situations where the flight is "sold out", we'll go to Row 16 or so, occupy window/aisle, and completely ignore each other during the rest of the boarding process. Statistically, that makes it relatively likely that if the flight was only loaded to 100%, and 2 or 3 people don't show up, we've got an empty seat.

But even then we don't "save" the seat or argue if someone wants it. If someone wants the seat, they are a lucky Unite the Couple winner...
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
If someone wants the seat, they are a lucky Unite the Couple winner...
My brain always reads this as "untie the couple..." for what that's worth.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
In my book, courtesy means giving someone a favor in a situation where a typical person, perhaps even yourself, might be the one needing this favor. In other words, it's simply the Golden Rule.
That was my point... if row 4 vs row 2 is the issue here.. well I guess in my book, "Life's too short.." Yeah the guys a jerk, I'll maybe give a dirty look and a smirk and get "steamrolled" into row 4. If it's a matter of being split apart in middle seats in row 14 and 16 over this well that's another story.

Unfortunately, most conflicts I've seen like this on flights are a row 4 vs. row 2 type thing. The 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back getting worked up to "make a point" that some jerk is wrong and will never realize he's wrong and probably just take it out on some other poor unsuspecting soul later (like his poor wife who won't travel with him lol)... well hey... poor bastid must live one miserable existence so as my daughter says, "whateva!"

The rest of you who disagree may jump back on your high horses and steamroll my opinion now. You're "entitled" to your opinion and your darn seat.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by boeing727
Recently was dumb enough to pay $387 one way BS fare to snag a LUV seat or exit row. 2 thru PAX were saving both exit rows for boarding friends. FA stood by and smiled while I took my $387 row 8 window seat.
I would have just taken the exit row seat. No butt in seat means it is an empty seats. I don't care if anyone is "saving" it.

If the other passenger objects, just smile and/or ignore them. If they get mad and pitch a fit, ignore it and enjoy the legroom.

Easier said than done, as I know many people want to be polite and avoid confrontation, but the only way this problem will be fixed is if people just take the empty seat of their choice, even if it is being "saved."

My .02 cents
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:31 am

I just was lucky enough to have an A Preferred as she called herself save an extra 5 seats in row 5 and 6 for her and her CP plus the 3 14-17? year old daughters. I called her on it and she proceeded to A- Preferred Customer me to death and the FA just stood by and watched.
Guess you can just do what you want these days.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by GVretiredguy
I just was lucky enough to have an A Preferred as she called herself save an extra 5 seats in row 5 and 6 for her and her CP plus the 3 14-17? year old daughters. I called her on it and she proceeded to A- Preferred Customer me to death and the FA just stood by and watched.
Guess you can just do what you want these days.
I would have told her if it was so important for her to sit with her family then she should have sat in the back of the plane and/or paid for EBCI for her kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.