Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving brouhaha

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by sctn8gp
southwest only says you may choose any open seat.
That would be seat - singular. Wouldn't a prohibition on seat-saving be implied here since Southwest policy allows you to choose any open seat, not seats?

I agree that it's deceptive to offer EBCI for a fee if passengers are not going to have access to any seat in which buttocks are not already firmly planted. This will only get worse when Southwest's passenger base is infused with a few thousand AirTran passengers who have not had to navigate this foolishness.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plagwate
That would be seat - singular. Wouldn't a prohibition on seat-saving be implied here since Southwest policy allows you to choose any open seat, not seats?

I agree that it's deceptive to offer EBCI for a fee if passengers are not going to have access to any seat in which buttocks are not already firmly planted. This will only get worse when Southwest's passenger base is infused with a few thousand AirTran passengers who have not had to navigate this foolishness.
+1.

In our case, the man saving the entire row, because of his "space issues" and unwillingness to spring the extra $10 for his wife, as well.
I think it was just amazing, also, that my daughter and I both paid the EBCI fee and still ended up with a "B" boarding card.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by jkburns1
I understand he has no right to save the seat and I know they said flight was full... But at the time you were boarding were their two seats together available nearby?

I'm just thinking if I was in same position I'm goin a row or two or three back rather then bothering with it. As a cp holder with a wife who holds no status I've never been in a situation to have to literally save a seat for her, nor would I be gruff if someone like you wanted to make damn sure I didn't.

I just don't understand why folks are so bound and determined to make life difficult to fellow human beings. Flying would be a lot more pleasant with a little more respect, compassion and understanding for our fellow humans.

Not the "well the policy says... so I had a right.. and he can't do that" and screw that he's just trying to sit with his wife attitude (not saying poster has that attitude that's why I ask about other options poster had) just saying I see the holier then thou, who cares about the fellow passenger, I'll show him on FT all too often.

Well how about the guy saving the seat exercising a bit of common sense? If you know you're boarding earlier than your companion and that you'd like to try and save a seat, DONT sit in a seat that might be coveted by other passengers! I'm sure he probably stood a good chance of getting a seat saved for his wife has he just taken another arbitrary seat in the back half of the plane. I think it's more reasonable for HIM to have to sacrifice a bit, than to make other early boarders sacrifice for the benefit of a later boarding group passenger.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Well how about the guy saving the seat exercising a bit of common sense? If you know you're boarding earlier than your companion and that you'd like to try and save a seat, DONT sit in a seat that might be coveted by other passengers! I'm sure he probably stood a good chance of getting a seat saved for his wife has he just taken another arbitrary seat in the back half of the plane. I think it's more reasonable for HIM to have to sacrifice a bit, than to make other early boarders sacrifice for the benefit of a later boarding group passenger.
+1
I pay for EBCI for me and my husband so we may have the best chance at either the first row or exit row. Seat saving won't work with me if it is in either of those. The seat saver can go "a few rows back".
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by LMB01
The seat saver can go "a few rows back".
No, the seat-saver can quit being such a cheap-@ss and spring for two more EBCIs.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
Agree that if you are paying for the seat then you should buy EBCI's , however not an option for Companion Pass that I am aware of. With new website you actually have to call to book CP flights now (if original flight is not booked at sw.com, ie - booked on corporate travel site). Supports my theory that CP should be able to board with CP Holder and until that time, I won't feel guilty about saving a seat for her...
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:21 am

The new website is a bit harder to navigate but I got my husbands companion pass ticket online and also booked early bird for him.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Winecaptain
Supports my theory that CP should be able to board with CP Holder and until that time, I won't feel guilty about saving a seat for her...
^

Why is WN so stubborn about this? Is it because we're in the 10% they don't care about?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:44 pm
Suspended

WN crews will not get involved in seat saving fights. In this case, he called someone a ....., so that is a different matter..beligerance and profanity will get someone booted.

On a number of occasions I have tried to sit in the exit row and someone claims to be saving the seat. I sit in the middle and they get real huffy about it. I have even challenged someone to "make me move" on a few occasions.

If I have BS or EBCI, I get priority over their C companions when it comes to seat choices. Open seating means "first come, first served". But I only fight over the exit rows or the last non-middle seats.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by pinworm
Open seating means "first come, first served". But I only fight over the exit rows or the last non-middle seats.
I've had a few encounters on my regular SMF-SNA flights where somebody was trying to save seats for their companions. The best one was somebody trying to save the entire row 8 IIRC. As in all six seats including herself.

I don't even discuss it anymore. If the aisle seat is open, this extra tall piggy is going to take it. You can hem and haw and cuss me out all you want. I'm still gonna sit there. For cryin' out loud it's only an hour flight on this route.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
I say good job OP. Are people really so scared of putting someone in their place? If two people fail to plan on getting their passes at the same time than they have to deal with it, not others. I really don't care at all, I normally get in on A and am traveling by myself but if I have a B or late connector I see a spot I take it. If the statement is 'they are coming' I say sorry I am here now, if it is 'I am saving it' I say thanks. The only valid statement is 'they are in the bathroom' and if it appears to be truthful I find a new spot, if not I challenge the statement. I do agree the companion pass should board with their connected purchaser but otherwise I love the no assigned seating policy and hope it stays primarily for the ability to pick any seat I want.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:14 am

Same route here

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
I've had a few encounters on my regular SMF-SNA flights where somebody was trying to save seats for their companions. The best one was somebody trying to save the entire row 8 IIRC. As in all six seats including herself.

I don't even discuss it anymore. If the aisle seat is open, this extra tall piggy is going to take it. You can hem and haw and cuss me out all you want. I'm still gonna sit there. For cryin' out loud it's only an hour flight on this route.
I take the same route every Friday and back on Sundays. I always sit in the first row aisle or the second row aisle
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I am one of those Airtran travelers who dreads the day Southwest takes over. We have been complaining about the lack of advance seat assignments and this is one of those annoyances we predicted.

How exactly does this save boarding time?

Stupid system. If Southwest is a leader in boarding times, maybe it's because the staff probably has more hustle in them. Who knows.

Oh, and if the guy was smart, he would have sat in the middle seat and then move to an aisle or window if he lost the battle to save one of the seats next to him. People are less likely to take two seats when someone is in the middle, unless there is no choice.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:39 am
cxn

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Your sentence is contradictory.

I save seats, I don't save exit row or the first few rows. I don't think anyone should have the right to save an extra row seat.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Fart.

Seriously.

Just fart.

Once.

One good fart beats any response that comes out of your mouth... especially if you look like you can keep it up the whole flight. You could probably take a MIDDLE seat and get a whole row this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.