Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Visa rules yes, but I don't see how APD has anything to do with this. APD is just a (quite hight) 'airport tax', and is even higher when travelling in any cabin higher than the cheapest (i.e. premium economy attracts the same level of APD as first class). It is charged directly by the airline to the passenger. And there is no APD on connections, ensuring that travel to other European countries (and non-European ones for that matter) is not affected by this.
Apologies for conflating the APD and connections in error. My point was that the data published by CAPA reflected that CPT-LHR was low yielding combined with two relatively high cost elements (APD and ground time) meant that the route was not likely a money spinner as some have suggested. While APD is paid by passengers it is collected as part of the ticket price by the airlines and it thus and effects the price and consumer decisions.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by DBCme
Title of the article above missing another big change - cancellations of several international routesOn February 29, 2020, SAA will also close the regional and international services from Johannesburg to Abidjan via Accra, Entebbe, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Luanda, Munich, Ndola, and Sao Paulo.

SAA will continue to operate all international services between Johannesburg and Frankfurt, London Heathrow, New York, Perth and Washington via Accra.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...outh%20african
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:08 am

With so few long haul routes to begin with, it’s amazing that all those canceled routes were apparently unprofitable.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:22 am

With SAA’s poor aircraft utilization, why don’t they pursue more fifth freedom routes to utilize their planes when they would otherwise be grounded waiting for an evening departure?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
With SAA’s poor aircraft utilization, why don’t they pursue more fifth freedom routes to utilize their planes when they would otherwise be grounded waiting for an evening departure?
Because the potential routes are usually not worth the effort and only increase cost (crew, additional MRO, cost to operate stations etc)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: AC SE
You’ve got to wonder how SAA is going to weather the coronavirus storm. While I don’t think the virus has made much of an appearance in sub-Saharan African yet, surely SAA is still feeling the pain, like all the other airlines, as people cancel or postpone travel. For airlines that are already on the brink of disaster, even a 10% or 20% loss of passengers could be devastating.
pstation likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
You’ve got to wonder how SAA is going to weather the coronavirus storm. While I don’t think the virus has made much of an appearance in sub-Saharan African yet, surely SAA is still feeling the pain, like all the other airlines, as people cancel or postpone travel. For airlines that are already on the brink of disaster, even a 10% or 20% loss of passengers could be devastating.
Timing could hardly be worse, could it?

I see they are offering very deeply discounted Voyager “SaverBlitz” reward bookings until end April. Good move - at least they might rake in all those fees on what would otherwise be zero-paid empty seats.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Timing could hardly be worse, could it?

I see they are offering very deeply discounted Voyager “SaverBlitz” reward bookings until end April. Good move - at least they might rake in all those fees on what would otherwise be zero-paid empty seats.
Agreed, horrible timing. ACSA have already made statements that passengers numbers are down at all their airports. The only silver lining for SAA is that they started cutting capacity for altogether different reasons well before anyone else so they might be a little ahead of the curve. Also, now some competitors who wouldn't have otherwise cut capacity will.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:01 pm

For your consideration. As one might say...

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news...s-benefitting/
"Can you believe it? Coronavirus outbreak may actually benefit SAA"
Every cloud has a silver lining, we suppose. There have been very few crumbs of comfort for South African Airways (SAA) over the past few months, but the airline has parasitcally through bailouts and loans from the state. So it’s perhaps fitting that something like the coronavirus is capable of giving the SOE a boost.
Coronavirus may be good news for SAA
In a frankly incredible turn of events, Siviwe Dongwana – one of the two business practitioners in charge of saving SAA – has told Bloomberg that the spread of COVID-19 has had a positive impact on their operations:
“The coronavirus issues and the impact on the industry means that a lot more lessors are going to find themselves with a lot of aircraft. At a risk of being too much of an optimist that’s a silver lining for our renegotiation of aircraft…. We need to deal with everything now to cleanse the airline of sins of the past.”
Siviwe Dongwana on the coronavirus impact
How SAA can benefit from coronavirus
As international markets and businesses head into a nosedive, it’s likely that South Africa’s domestic carrier will suddenly be in a stronger position to renegotiate key deals. Their newly-found ‘perks’ include the following:
Oil prices have slumped below the $30-per-barrel mark, dramatically reducing SAA’s fuel costs.
International flights are the most costly to the ailing airline, but with these slashed, overheads have dropped.
Overseas hub in London and the US are now being used less, meaning SAA aren’t paying for higher landing fees either.
All of these factors, plus a few other minor drawbacks, is actually saving the SOE a considerable amount of money.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Trying to cancel flights on Airlink for April (booked last year through SAA). I am unable to cancel these online despite their being a link to do so (all other booking management functions work). Filling out the request and submitting just brings me back to the cancellation page. IT problems or an indication that SAA are not refunding cancellations?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:59 am

All I can tell you is their website and app are terrible and glitchy. I'd call them
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Trying to cancel flights on Airlink for April (booked last year through SAA). I am unable to cancel these online despite their being a link to do so (all other booking management functions work). Filling out the request and submitting just brings me back to the cancellation page. IT problems or an indication that SAA are not refunding cancellations?
I had the same issue. I sat in hold for 2 hours to speak to someone and I was told they are not issuing refunds. I would assume I would have gotten back my taxes? I was told no.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
I had the same issue. I sat in hold for 2 hours to speak to someone and I was told they are not issuing refunds. I would assume I would have gotten back my taxes? I was told no.
I’m not surprised and have already decided that the sum involved does not justify hours on the phone at the moment - there are many trying to sort out essential travel who need to Have priority.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In related news, the business rescue practitioners in charge of SA Express have announced that the airline is beyond hope and will be liquidated.

Source

Johan
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Head over to the other thread: COVID-19: Impact on South African Airways for some data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.