COVID-19: Impact on South African Airways

Old Mar 24, 20, 1:27 am

Programs: QR Gold (OWS), Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by ExRSA View Post
What have you done? I am in similar situation and going to try the CC route for starters. 🤞
I've disputed the charge with the credit card company. This is the first time I've done such a thing - not sure how it'll turn out. They say the investigation can take upto 12 weeks. I've also reached out to SAA via twitter (flysaa_care), where they told me to write an email to [email protected]. I already did that on March 22nd but haven't received even an automated acknowledgement of receipt.

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Mar 24, 20 at 1:37 am
Old Mar 25, 20, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k View Post
I've disputed the charge with the credit card company. This is the first time I've done such a thing - not sure how it'll turn out. They say the investigation can take upto 12 weeks. I've also reached out to SAA via twitter (flysaa_care), where they told me to write an email to [email protected]. I already did that on March 22nd but haven't received even an automated acknowledgement of receipt.
Same here. I called SAA and was told they are not offering refunds for cancelled flights “at this time.” I called my ccard company, told them this, and they offered a temporary credit for the full amount while they investigate. I also emailed SAA at that email address three days ago and have not heard back.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:13 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
it's not au revoir, it's adieu

With the complete closure of RSA airspace, I think that might be the end of SAA this time.

So long, and thanks for all the Amarula.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:26 am

Dear SAA Customer

In recent weeks, daily lives have changed beyond recognition as a result of the Covid 19 global pandemic.

During this time, South African Airways has been at the forefront of helping customers travel to where they need to be. I would like to thank all our staff for their tireless dedication to duty in difficult times.

As you may be aware, the South African government has declared a total lockdown, which starts at midnight tonight and will last 21 days. This measure is essential in combatting the spread of the Covid 19 virus.

As a result, we announced the temporary suspension of all flights across the SAA network with effect from Friday 27th March 2020 until 16th April 2020. We aim to recommence domestic services between Johannesburg and Cape Town on 17th April 2020.

Furthermore, we shall be suspending all the usual services we provide to support our customers, including the call centre. This enables us to keep our staff at home and comply with the lockdown on non-essential services.

For those customers holding unused SAA tickets, there's no need to worry and no need to contact us now. All customers holding an unused ticket will be able to use its full value as a credit for travel on any SAA service over the next two years up to and including 24th March 2022. We will also permit a free name change if you no longer wish to travel. This is part of SAA's commitment to support our customers in these unprecedented times.

For further information, please visit our website (flysaa.com), which we intend to update throughout the Covid 19 crisis.

On behalf of everyone at SAA, keep safe and keep well.

Zuks Ramasia

Acting CEO

South African Airways
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by ipegleg View Post

Dear SAA Customer

In recent weeks, daily lives have changed beyond recognition as a result of the Covid 19 global pandemic.

During this time, South African Airways has been at the forefront of helping customers travel to where they need to be. I would like to thank all our staff for their tireless dedication to duty in difficult times.

As you may be aware, the South African government has declared a total lockdown, which starts at midnight tonight and will last 21 days. This measure is essential in combatting the spread of the Covid 19 virus.

As a result, we announced the temporary suspension of all flights across the SAA network with effect from Friday 27th March 2020 until 16th April 2020. We aim to recommence domestic services between Johannesburg and Cape Town on 17th April 2020.

Furthermore, we shall be suspending all the usual services we provide to support our customers, including the call centre. This enables us to keep our staff at home and comply with the lockdown on non-essential services.

For those customers holding unused SAA tickets, there's no need to worry and no need to contact us now. All customers holding an unused ticket will be able to use its full value as a credit for travel on any SAA service over the next two years up to and including 24th March 2022. We will also permit a free name change if you no longer wish to travel. This is part of SAA's commitment to support our customers in these unprecedented times.

For further information, please visit our website (flysaa.com), which we intend to update throughout the Covid 19 crisis.

On behalf of everyone at SAA, keep safe and keep well.

Zuks Ramasia

Acting CEO

South African Airways
Keeping it classy, as always, SAA? If you cannot deliver what you promised your clients they are entitled to a refund of all monies. A voucher from you is like an IOU from a bankrupt company such as... well, you.

Definitely time to claim via credit cards. No way these delinquents are ever going to do the right thing - even assuming they could afford to.

BTW the signatory to that missive, Zuks Ramasia, is stepping down, early, in April. I wonder if her golden handshake is being paid in vouchers?
johan rebel likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:16 pm

Wow - Do you thing the Acting CEO gets a Golden Parachute too. I haven't followed the management at SAA. How long has she been in charge?
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ipegleg View Post
How long has she been in charge?
Too long, just like her predecessors.

Johan
Old Mar 27, 20, 5:48 am

Programs: United MP
That letter says:

For those customers holding unused SAA tickets, there's no need to worry and no need to contact us now. All customers holding an unused ticket will be able to use its full value as a credit for travel on any SAA service over the next two years up to and including 24th March 2022

What about those with half a ticket? Who flew one way but the return flight was cancelled? What do they get?
Old Mar 27, 20, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer View Post
I found this for those stuck in Ghana: https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/...d-184299c125fc
Our visitors have done this. So far there has been one repatriation flight that I'm aware of. It was an Ethiopian Airlines aircraft that flew from Accra to Washington Dulles. Tickets were sold for around 2,000 USD.
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Our visitors have done this. So far there has been one repatriation flight that I'm aware of. It was an Ethiopian Airlines aircraft that flew from Accra to Washington Dulles. Tickets were sold for around 2,000 USD.
Yes. It flew two days sgo. The Twitter and Facebook feeds of the US Embassy Ghana are filled with those who say that they weren't notified. There has to be more repatriation flights because it seems like they are a large number of Americans stuck. My friend can't seem to get the STEP program to register him so he can be notified. I've been sending him ideas to get it to work.
Old Mar 27, 20, 9:10 am

For those waiting for repatriation flight, the U.S.Embassy in Ghana posted this form: https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...q7QGQa2OhcdGxA
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:45 pm

Yes. It flew two days sgo. The Twitter and Facebook feeds of the US Embassy Ghana are filled with those who say that they weren't notified. There has to be more repatriation flights because it seems like they are a large number of Americans stuck. My friend can't seem to get the STEP program to register him so he can be notified. I've been sending him ideas to get it to work.
So today our visitors were notified that they are booked on a repatriation flight leaving tomorrow (Saturday, March 28, 2020).
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:00 pm

So today our visitors were notified that they are booked on a repatriation flight leaving tomorrow (Saturday, March 28, 2020).
That's great news! How did they get notified? email or phone?
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:40 pm

That's great news! How did they get notified? email or phone?
Email. They had signed up with the US embassy.
Old Mar 27, 20, 6:46 pm

s
Email. They had signed up with the US embassy.
Thanks! I wonder if the email says where the flight is gong in the US? I assume Washington Dulles IAD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: