Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Has the fat lady sung? Government says no more money, not surprisingly given the demands that Covud-19 will make on the fiscus.
jsnydcsa likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Has the fat lady sung? Government says no more money, not surprisingly given the demands that Covud-19 will make on the fiscus.
Sure sounds like it.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As a South African who has only ever known a world with SAA it is sad to think of it not being there. However, this is pure nostalgia and every other ounce of me says - "about time, the country needs that money spent on so many things other than a terribly inefficient airline that does not serve the good of the majority of its people"
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: United MP
What will replace SAA?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who says SAA needs to be replaced?

Perhaps the world will do just fine without them.

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
I don't know much about SAA. What other airlines does South Africa have?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:38 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Oh, the world will do very well without them. . Especially post Corona when there will be lots of overcapacity. Some airlines will need to fall, and this one was on it's way already so a near perfect solution.

But how will the income stream of the loyal cadres who have been parachuted into positions of corrupt power be replaced. That's the problem, isn't it?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:45 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I don't know much about SAA. What other airlines does South Africa have?
There are several local airlines, Comair uses the BA brand as a franchise and the Kulula brand as a low cost carrier. They are - as far as I know - profitable and efficient. Mango is the low cost arm of SAA (not sure how the SA demise will eventually play out for them). SA Express and Airlink are either too close to SAA or have problems of their own. And Safair is the most efficient and probably viable one of them all, my airline of choice within South Africa.

And we need to get away from this strange mindset that the country needs a 'national carrier' to 'fly the flag' and bring tourists. There are a multitude of reliable international airlines that bring tourists effectively and efficiently without costing the tax payers billions of Rand every year.
DeafFlyer and TorontoGooner like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thijsseh
SA Express and Airlink are either too close to SAA or have problems of their own.
As I understand it SAX is technically bankrupt already, and beyond rescue.

I always thought that Airlink was a well-run, privately owned and profitable airline? I know they are currently having issues with tickets issued on SA stock, but apart from that they should surely be find in the medium to long term?

Johan
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be interesting to see whether Mango survives.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:54 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
https://af.reuters.com/article/southAfricaNews/idAFL8N2C60HM
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:10 am

I know that behind the scenes there'll be many SAA "management" folks who will not be missed, the cadres will lose yet another "perk" and the Bain folks will now longer have the wistful memories of that cash cow but it'll be sad to see SAA go in many ways . In general, I always enjoyed my flights with them esp. as they were "direct" in one way shape or form between the US and SA (oh to be smoking in Isla del Sol/Sal), my little one's practically grew up in air hostesses arms and even in bad times (e.g. Gulf War II, March/April 2003) they managed to accommodate customers (albeit at the time, I was Platinum or something with them). Was just discussing with kids the possibilities of United, Delta, via Europe and via Middle East and all their respective pluses and minuses. I wish I had saved more tchotchke (I think we have an unused airsickness bag from them - don't ask).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
If SAA falls apart, I will miss it. Of all the Star Alliance options from Canada, my favorite was SAA's LHR-JNB flight in business class.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:05 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Many of us who used to fly SAA will miss the experience. When they first introduced the 346 (and later the 343), the J hard product was 'best in class' (in my opinion). Proper flat beds without awkward angles and footwells. Oodles of space in front of you.
The soft product was sometimes a bit hit and miss, but I had many more positive than negative experiences.
I had many very happy flights on the CPT/LHR and on the CPT/FRA routes, the latter being a day time flight out and overnight back.

But those are now romantic reminiscences of a past era, and in the end the 'taxpayer me' can only be satisfied that this is now coming to an end.
worldtraveller73 and evanb like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Presuming African countries open up this August (and that is a big presumption, I know), I have one leg of a 3 country Africa trip on SA-- JNB-LUN on Aug 8. If SA doesn't resume flying, will be curious to see whether any airline flies the route. Total trip is JFK-JNB on BA via LHR; JNB-LUN on SA; internal flights within Zambia; LUN-EBB on KQ via NBO. And finally EBB-NBO on KQ and hence NBO-EWR on BA via LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.