Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:49 am

Is there any specific info on the reduction in frequency on the domestic JNB-CPT route?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I looked on Flysaa.com, and based on my travel dates in April, they have already made the reductions in their schedule. I tried to book new flights (fake booking) on my travel date and saw that flight frequencies were already reduced. My flight still is same schedule as planned.

I also tried DUR-JNB, and Port Eliz-JNB, and all mainlines SAA flights are already removed.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:40 am

Title of the article above missing another big change - cancellations of several international routesOn February 29, 2020, SAA will also close the regional and international services from Johannesburg to Abidjan via Accra, Entebbe, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Luanda, Munich, Ndola, and Sao Paulo.

SAA will continue to operate all international services between Johannesburg and Frankfurt, London Heathrow, New York, Perth and Washington via Accra.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Have UA award to JNB via GRU - on phone with UA this morning over 45 minutes and they were "unaware" of any changes -after some educating was on hold with SAA for 35 more minutes before giving up.
Will try later for alternate but see no options as no UA flights to FRA and no SAA award seats from there for my dates.Might have to open wallet.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by yvr1971
I looked on Flysaa.com, and based on my travel dates in April, they have already made the reductions in their schedule. I tried to book new flights (fake booking) on my travel date and saw that flight frequencies were already reduced. My flight still is same schedule as planned.

I also tried DUR-JNB, and Port Eliz-JNB, and all mainlines SAA flights are already removed.
I have a booking for JNB-CPT in May. Not sure how many frequencies of this there usually is, but currently I see 11 to 14 flights per day on that route in mid-May. My flight is also still for sale.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I have seen as many as 16 each way per day on SAA Mainline in the past. I have to admit I am not 100% sure if the reductions have fully taken effect, but it seems there have been at least 3-4 each way pulled out. Which seems to align with the Feb route cuts that are currently in place.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Johannesburg High Court has ruled that SA Express must also be placed in business rescue. The airline has said it will lodge an appeal.

Source

Johan
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The head of state is not happy SAA is cancelling flights:

"Government is not in agreement with the BRPs about the decision to cancel certain flights. We as government are saying we need to sit down with the BRPs and discuss the matter," said Ramaphosa.

Subsequent to Ramaphosa indicating his unhappiness, the Ministry of Public Enterprises issued a statement on Friday afternoon saying government is concerned that "recent decisions concerning SAA have caused market and customer uncertainty that may jeopardise the long-term future of the airline".
https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Indu...eport-20200207
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAA is quite capable of jeopardizing its own future without the assistance of any BRPs. It's been at it for the better part of a decade, if not longer.

Johan
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"High-level industry stakeholders believe the route gaps left by SAA’s cancellation[s] ... will be plugged by other airlines. “It’s supply and demand,” said SA Tourism CEO, Sisa Ntshona. Minister of Tourism, Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, was equally sanguine, noting that it didn’t matter how international tourists came, as long as they still travelled to ‘Destination SA’."

Source

Johan
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The head of state is not happy SAA is cancelling flights:

https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Indu...eport-20200207
Sums it all up. Airline in business rescue but Ramaphosa knows best. Government interference is never ending.

Still I suppose it must be frustrating that the squads of government and party types may see their travel options limited or heaven forbid may have to actually pay for their flights....
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:17 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
And of course there is now outrage from the SACP and Cosatu as well. It's about time that they realise that thanks to their continual support for the Zuma ANC, their jobs are now going to disappear. In many of these SOE's, including SAA. Chickens coming home to roost....
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by zebranz
Have UA award to JNB via GRU - on phone with UA this morning over 45 minutes and they were "unaware" of any changes -after some educating was on hold with SAA for 35 more minutes before giving up.
Will try later for alternate but see no options as no UA flights to FRA and no SAA award seats from there for my dates.Might have to open wallet.
I am in the same boat with 3 people on that JNB-GRU segment. I called the day after SAA's announcement and United had no clue about the changes. I am going to give it a few days to see if SAA rebooks my flight onto one of their US flights since there's no J award space back to the US on my dates.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by dealspoints
I am in the same boat with 3 people on that JNB-GRU segment. I called the day after SAA's announcement and United had no clue about the changes. I am going to give it a few days to see if SAA rebooks my flight onto one of their US flights since there's no J award space back to the US on my dates.
I called back again 1-2 days after my initial call to 1K desk (haha) and agent had no clue. However I did get reroute YYC-SFO-FRA on UA and then ET had award space FRA-ADD-JNB. Not the same date but still worked for me. Suggest you ask UA if they can open space to FRA where you can try with LH,ET or even SAA.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
heaven forbid may have to actually pay for their flights....
Like they did before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.