Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Sorry to be a cynic, but what makes you believe that any new Board or Management Team appointed by the SA Government will be less corrupt that any of the previous incumbents? Corruption unfortunately is endemic in government circles in SA.
Unfortunately to be a fellow cynic, I am afraid this will continue for another cycle but I think privatisation of SAA is the most prudent course of action.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
with this revitalization.
Not sure revitalization is the right word here.

It's more like an instance of an asystolic patient getting a very weak pulse again after some pretty inept but very expensive CPR. The next cardiac arrest could occur anytime.

Johan
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by johan rebel; May 6, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Old May 6, 2021, 7:16 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Unfortunately to be a fellow cynic, I am afraid this will continue for another cycle but I think privatisation of SAA is the most prudent course of action.
In principle, I would not disagree. The issue with privatisation is that someone needs to buy the shares from the government. But here it would be more of a case of 'how much will you pay me to get me to take this mess of your hands'. All this talk (for many months if not years) of 'talks with an equity partner are at an advanced stage' seem to be wishful thinking. Or just a ruse to suggest that this saga is eventually going to end (which it is not). Covid has obviously not helped, but it's far from being the root cause of the 'financial woes' in the thread title.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
There is an interview made on the SAA history by a former employee telling about his 25+ years working at SAA. This tells on everything from leadership and how it operated.

Listen to it here as inspiration.

The interresting part is that it sounds like the operation and leadership of SAA never made it possible for the airline to overcome the financiel situation and COVID-19 just made it worse.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by herro
There is an interview made on the SAA history by a former employee telling about his 25+ years working at SAA. This tells on everything from leadership and how it operated.

Listen to it here as inspiration.

The interresting part is that it sounds like the operation and leadership of SAA never made it possible for the airline to overcome the financiel situation and COVID-19 just made it worse.
I was shocked when the interviewee, Patrick Menzies, said he wasn't from South Africa (Google says he is Danish). His South African English accent sounds perfect to my American ear; he speaks just like my born and bred South African friends.
herro likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:46 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by herro
Yes, Covid obviously did not help, but the writing was on the wall a long time before that.
I don't think Patrick Menzies makes that point very clearly (although he does of course mention it).
It's corruption (plus the concomitant incompetence) that killed the airline (which was good in it's heyday, let's be clear about that). Not Covid.

Edit: And he is a bit out of touch, it seems. Does not mention Airlink as a (probably the biggest) threat to any domestic 'revival' of SAA...
herro likes this.

Last edited by thijsseh; May 12, 2021 at 5:18 am Reason: Add comment about Airlink
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I think SAA is too important an asset to give to the private sector."

New beginnings for SAA

Johan
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
"I think SAA is too important an asset to give to the private sector."

New beginnings for SAA

Johan

Sadly, while I appreciate the "nothing new" update, there's frankly, nothing "new" in here. Just a lot of the same got to do things different, change, etc. etc. garbage. Nothing "real" or factual.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
More detail here, including identity of the buyers.

What could go wrong?
johan rebel and jsnydcsa like this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
What could go wrong?
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...ership-of-saa/
"The terms and conditions of the consortium’s participation in SAA – including the future funding of the airline, whether restrictions on flight routes and long-term labour (including pilots and staff) have been imposed – are not yet known."

Are not yet known...
Yikes.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...ership-of-saa/
"The terms and conditions of the consortium’s participation in SAA – including the future funding of the airline, whether restrictions on flight routes and long-term labour (including pilots and staff) have been imposed – are not yet known."

Are not yet known...
Yikes.
I doubt if 3b ZAR is enough to get a global operation going again, maybe a regional one though?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I doubt if 3b ZAR is enough to get a global operation going again, maybe a regional one though?
The various news outlets mention that they hope to start with intra-SA travel, then regional (I presume sub-Saharan Africa), then international. As to latter, the buyers note that they face competition. All these grand-poo-bahs need their govt funded flights to resume, you can't expect them to fly Mango.

As an aside, there is also speculation/but no concrete answers on the fate of Mango, and SAA's "ancillary" businesses such as (if I recall) catering, maintenance, etc.

I'm no aviation corporation junkie (then why are you on Flyertalk...) but I was scratching my head about these new buyers. I would have expected some name recognition even on my uneducated part. This seems to be some cobbled together what-have-you. I am not optimistic.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I'm no aviation corporation junkie (then why are you on Flyertalk...) but I was scratching my head about these new buyers. I would have expected some name recognition even on my uneducated part. This seems to be some cobbled together what-have-you. I am not optimistic.
Gidon Novick is the name that gives this any semblance of credibility. He has had a very creditable aviation career with Comair and Kulula.
jsnydcsa likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
semblance
+1
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAA’s new wings undermined by pending questions about its funding model

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.