Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
While not South Africa, I shot a wonderful photo on the Kenya side of the Kenya-Tanzania border in the trans-border cargo clearance yard. "This is A No Corruption Zone. Report all bribes and corruption to ....." With my driver haven been shaken down by rangers for US $200 in Lake Nakuru Natl Park, kind of makes me wonder when I see articles about corruption investigation.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by nsoltz
While not South Africa, I shot a wonderful photo on the Kenya side of the Kenya-Tanzania border in the trans-border cargo clearance yard. "This is A No Corruption Zone. Report all bribes and corruption to ....." With my driver haven been shaken down by rangers for US $200 in Lake Nakuru Natl Park, kind of makes me wonder when I see articles about corruption investigation.
Unfortunately that can happen in other areas of the world. Like Latin America for example.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

R30,5m poured into SAA corruption investigation

"DA Scopa member, Alf Lees... added that it was concerning that many of the people who had clearly been involved in the looting were currently being paid massive severance packages. He asked if there was any way the SIU could speed the process up to identify the looters before they were paid out in full from the Business Rescue plan’s budget."

Source
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
"DA Scopa member, Alf Lees... added that it was concerning that many of the people who had clearly been involved in the looting were currently being paid massive severance packages. He asked if there was any way the SIU could speed the process up to identify the looters before they were paid out in full from the Business Rescue plan’s budget."

Source

Business Day had a little bit more. Everyone is squawking (rightfully) over the cash that could be poured into SAA v. schools, shots in arms, etc. It's a waste of money to dump taxpayers cash into SAA at this point.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:19 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/safr...-idUSL8N2LH0ZT

UPDATE 1-South African Airways administrators hope to exit by month-end
By Reuters Staff
2 Min Read
(Adds detail, context)
JOHANNESBURG, March 19 (Reuters) - The administrators of South African Airways (SAA) hope to hand control of the business back to management by the end of the month, the state-owned airline said in a letter to affected parties seen by Reuters.
SAA has been under a form of bankruptcy protection since December 2019, and its fortunes worsened during the COVID-19 pandemic. All operations were mothballed in September 2020 when funds ran low.
The letter, dated March 18, said SAA’s board of directors and management were working on a plan to resume flights, without giving a date when that might happen.
The administrators said they had received 7.8 billion rand ($529 million) out of a 10.5 billion rand bailout allocated in the government’s October mid-term budget.
Out of that, around 360 million rand has gone towards paying unpaid salaries, 1.5 billion rand has been spent on severance packages and 400 million rand has been transferred to creditors who lent money after the airline entered administration.
Other funds are earmarked for working capital when SAA restarts operations and to pay for passengers who have already paid for tickets but not yet flown.
Once further payments to creditors and employees have been made or provided for and a receivership set up, the administrators can relinquish control of the business.
The administrators said SAA’s debt had fallen by 35.7 billion rand since they took over and that its workforce had been cut from 4,700 to roughly 1,000.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here we go again

"As SAA’s business rescue process winds to a close, many South Africans, from aviation professionals to consumers, question why the government continues to throw billions more taxpayers’ rands at the beleaguered entity. Independent BRP and Aviation Economist, Dr Joachim Vermooten ... says the business rescue goals have not been met and that SAA is not solvent, liquid or even operational."

Source

Johan
thijsseh and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Seems like they are not going to exit anytime soon.
https://www.ifalpa.org/mutual-assist...ca-saa-pilots/
johan rebel and jsnydcsa like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"SAA has sent out an internal notice, informing employees that Thomas Kgokolo has assumed the position of interim CEO. The Interim Board of Directors at the airline made the appointment with effect from April 13."

Source
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mango’s money runs out

"Mango is preparing to be placed in business rescue, as it will have no aircraft available for operations from May 1."

Source

Johan
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by johan rebel
"Mango is preparing to be placed in business rescue, as it will have no aircraft available for operations from May 1."

Source

Johan
Any idea as to how Kulula and Comair are doing? I saw where Comair was delisted on the South African stock exchange.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 3:25 pm

Daily Maverick weighs in
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...nt-and-liquid/

"Of the approved funding for SAA by the government, the rescue practitioners said, to date, the airline had received R7.8-billion for implementation of the business rescue plan..."

And, they're still spending the Treasury's cash.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Daily Maverick weighs in

"Of the approved funding for SAA by the government, the rescue practitioners said, to date, the airline had received R7.8-billion for implementation of the business rescue plan..."

I think I want to be a Business Rescue Practitioner. Great big money for nothing.
Old May 3, 2021, 2:13 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Daily Maverick weighs in

With a R57 Billion negative cash flow in the next 5 years, the 'solvent and liquid' situation referred to in that article can't be more than a snapshot. A few milliseconds later that would have changed. What are these guys smoking....
johan rebel likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by thijsseh
With a R57 Billion negative cash flow in the next 5 years, the 'solvent and liquid' situation referred to in that article can't be more than a snapshot. A few milliseconds later that would have changed. What are these guys smoking....
Indeed and I hope that the South African Government installs a new Board of Directors and Management Team with this revitalization. They've been corrupt far too long with unscrupulous opportunists that bled the company dry with mismanagement and poor decision making after several bailouts by the state.

SAA to exit "Business Rescue".

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa...hs-2021-05-01/
Old May 4, 2021, 1:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Indeed and I hope that the South African Government installs a new Board of Directors and Management Team with this revitalization. They've been corrupt far too long with unscrupulous opportunists that bled the company dry with mismanagement and poor decision making after several bailouts by the state.

SAA to exit "Business Rescue".

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa...hs-2021-05-01/

Sorry to be a cynic, but what makes you believe that any new Board or Management Team appointed by the SA Government will be less corrupt that any of the previous incumbents? Corruption unfortunately is endemic in government circles in SA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.