Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.

This thread is staying behind in the Hyatt forum to address the wind-down, handling of existing reservations, etc.

For the active Hilton forum thread, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ns-hilton.html

Hyatt announcement:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
But what really matters to me are the status benefits and that’s where Hyatt blows the competition easily out of the water in my experience.
We are top tier in both Hyatt and Hilton, and the statement above could not be more true. Hilton benefits have degraded to be almost nothing in the US. Hyatt are very strong. Internationally, we still like Hilton as the lounges are quite nice.

We generally go to places where there are sufficient Hyatt choices, so the smaller footprint doesn't impact us.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ffgap
Hilton is more than twice as big as Hyatt.
It's more like 5x. Of course, most of the Hilton portolio is low-end and/or limited service, which is mostly irrelevant to many of us.
I think people in the WoH forum need to get out of their bubble.
Oh please. Many of us have elite status across multiple hotel programs and also stay in independent properties around the world.
Hilton makes up for it by its size.
Absolutely not true, either in terms of property quality or program benefits. I have Hilton Diamond (through Aspire), typically 100-150 nights per year on the road, and yet have at most 2-3 Hilton stays per year. That's because I stay mostly in higher end hotels, and Hilton's high-end offerings are inferior in virtually every significant market (LA being perhaps the single notable exception).
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's more like 5x. Of course, most of the Hilton portolio is low-end and/or limited service, which is mostly irrelevant to many of us.
So? 400 of Hyatt's properties are HPs. That's fairly low-end and limited service as well!

Oh please. Many of us have elite status across multiple hotel programs and also stay in independent properties around the world.
The almost religious fervor of some posters suggests to me that may not be enough to think rationally about the industry.
Many smart people on FT, I know. But these programs are obviously designed with the goal of making middle management behave irrationally...

Absolutely not true, either in terms of property quality or program benefits.
This is what I mean by almost religious fervor. I did not compare program quality at all. You did. I did not deny Hyatt's portfolio is more upmarket than Hilton's. In fact, I suggested that to be the case.

Instead, what I was trying to stay is: in light of Hilton's large member base of 180 million (?) members and a non-trivial upscale portfolio, the subset of their customer base interested in SLH is sufficiently large even if they price these properties at 80k/night and above.
Furthermore, I suggested it remains to be seen if Hyatt really traded up by buying MMS and ditching SLH.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Furthermore, I suggested it remains to be seen if Hyatt really traded up by buying MMS and ditching SLH.
You're also assuming it was Hyatt that initiated the trading here...
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
You're also assuming it was Hyatt that initiated the trading here...
That's true. Is it inaccurate?

I thought Hyatt took over MMS outright. I think it's fair to say that's at Hyatt's initiative. Sure, they might have been approached by MMS or their sponsor before but something like that does go anywhere without the buyer in the driver's seat (especially when the driver is a publically traded company not being taken private as part of the transaction).

So that seems a reasonable assumption. What is slightly more speculative is that the takeover of MMS gave SLH grounds for termination of their agreement with Hyatt, making them find another partner.

What is the alternative story? SLH's contract was about to expire and Hilton snatched them up, making Hyatt reeling and scrambling to piece together a deal with MMS?
That alternative explanation certainly makes Hyatt look much worse.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Hilton is more than twice as big as Hyatt.

I think people in the WoH forum need to get out of their bubble. Sure, if you compare the average Hilton with the average Hyatt, you will find that Hyatt is positioned a bit more upmarket. But first, Hyatt's portfolio isn't all gold (posting this from a very mediocre American HR) and second, Hilton makes up for it by its size.

Another thing is that it is still to be proven that Hyatt traded up with MMS against SLH. MMS seems do be doing well right now. But it's still kinda new. Will it remain relevant to its customers for years to come? Curated travel experience sounds like something AI might be really good at within a few years.
Hilton is twice as big but the quality is only half as good these days as well, even if I factor in some of the HP's that are dumps. I am a handful of stays away from lifetime Diamond with Hilton and have a few years of Globalist. I had a good run with Hilton back in the day but that day is gone, for now. I like the "bubble" I am in and will stay here.
Sydneyberlin and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Instead, what I was trying to stay is: in light of Hilton's large member base of 180 million (?) members and a non-trivial upscale portfolio, the subset of their customer base interested in SLH is sufficiently large even if they price these properties at 80k/night and above.
I don't really care about any of that. It's just pointless FT speculation, since no one here knows what the story really is.

I'm sorry to see the SLH properties go. It will be interesting to see whether the switch makes Hilton any more appealing for those who prefer high-end properties, but I kind of doubt the value proposition will be there, as personally I have no motivation to increase my Hilton spend to earn either Hilton elite nights or massively devalued Hilton points (.4 cpp and dropping).
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I thought Hyatt took over MMS outright. I think it's fair to say that's at Hyatt's initiative.
If memory serves, Hyatt bought the MMS brand and booking platform outright around April 2023 after it had been in a general partnership with IHG. It’s just that meaningful integration is taking a while. Which is no surprise since bringing those kinds of niche groups for undue properties is rather a cat-herding kind of scenario.

i feel like the best Hilton redemptions are indeed luxury/high cash price standard awards stacked with the ‘five nights for the price of four’ benefit for elite members. And you can pretty much get Silver with Hilton with a cell phone service promo. We got about 1.3 cpp from Hilton for an award stay in Jackson Hole last year.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
As a Lifetime Diamond with Hilton and a LIfetime Titanium with Hyatt, and a not-yet-Lifetime Globalist with Hyatt, I can positively say that the Hilton program absolutely SUCKS!!!

The amount of properties is irrelevant to me!

Some of the benefits that Hyatt Globalists get are only dreams for Hilton Diamonds! I know as I am both
EuropeanPete and Sydneyberlin like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Hilton is a massive hotel footprint that continues to grow aggressively, and has a big loyalty program, particularly among US customers. The idea that it is “surprising” that SLH would partner with Hilton is laughable, regardless of anyone’s personal views on the respective loyalty programs. Hilton can drive significant business to SLH properties, probably more than Hyatt given the size the program.

On a personal note, I only do a few Hilton stays a year, but have always found them a great option to have, particularly on the high end (five night redemptions can be a good value) and when I need a Hilton Garden Inn or whatever in a given city.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

What is the alternative story? SLH's contract was about to expire and Hilton snatched them up, making Hyatt reeling and scrambling to piece together a deal with MMS?
That alternative explanation certainly makes Hyatt look much worse.
The “story” is that partnerships change all the time given circumstances. On the Hilton side, the company seems to be more interested in partnerships and acquisitions than they have been in really decades. They have been rumored to look to do other partnerships and acquisitions as well.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The “story” is that partnerships change all the time given circumstances.
I don't want to get into a semantics flame, especially in light of me not being a native speaker.

Nevertheless, you are using the phrase "all the time" quite liberally.

Hyatt is still a partner of SLH--and Hilton's partnership has yet to launch. Given the announcement of the SLH-Hyatt cooperation was in 2018, the relationship spans 5 years (measured from the members' perspective).

Hyatt's deal with MGM lasted exactly 10 years. We don't know if the Lindblad deal was open-ended or fixed term, but we know it was terminated after 4 years by a mutual agreement of Hyatt and Lindblad.

So again, I think it is a bit inaccurate to sum it up as "these partnerships change all the time."
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Ummm... does any of this matter? It is what it is, the partnership is winding down. A new one will emerge. Obsessing about the why/how seems like a waste of time.

Regards
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... does any of this matter? It is what it is, the partnership is winding down. A new one will emerge. Obsessing about the why/how seems like a waste of time.
FYI, these is a thread in the Hilton forums on the upcoming relationship Hilton-SLH.

ITT, I believe the question "what happens during the transition period with WoH bookings of SLH?" has been addressed already. Unless I am missing something, the discussion left for this thread is then mostly about evaluating what happened and what are the perspectives for Hyatt with regard to partnerships along the lines of SLH.

Posting about other posters wasting time seems like a waste of time
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

ITT, I believe the question "what happens during the transition period with WoH bookings of SLH?" has been addressed already.
I'm not sure I've seen anything definitive on this simply because, AFAIK, nothing definitive is known. Other transitions have been handled differently from what I've read. Sometimes prior bookings are honored (with points/dollars), sometimes not. we won't know which this is until something is announced. So, I agree that continuing to discuss it is fruitless. I disagree that it has been addressed. In the end, we shall see,

Cheers.
MSPeconomist and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.