Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.

This thread is staying behind in the Hyatt forum to address the wind-down, handling of existing reservations, etc.

For the active Hilton forum thread, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ns-hilton.html

Hyatt announcement:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Will there be any reciprocal benefits for SLH status members to Hilton ??
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
As a Hyatt Globalist, this is a bit of sad news but not all that surprising given the new Mr & Mrs Smith thing. And to be honest- never found those SLH properties that great though I wonder how long existing bookings will be honoured by Hyatt?

Hopefully, the Mr & Mrs Smith properties will be “proper” World of Hyatt members. One reason I never liked the SLH partnership is that it didn’t provide any of the higher tier Hyatt benefits.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's the Hilton part that shocked me, not that SLH left Hyatt.
Got it, fair enough.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We don't know enough yet about Mr and Mrs Smith for me to gleefully count stay credits. It's been a long while since I looked, but there were some Aman properties that were Mr and Mrs Smith. I find it hard to believe that I'll be able to book them thru Hyatt - or that it will be the best route to do so, though that's a completely different discussion.

I need to look and see what Mr and Mrs Smith has in Belize. There were two SLH properties where friends had good stays. UPDATE: all the SLH properties are also Mr and Mrs Smith. Interesting.
Sure, of course we don't know everything yet. But at the end of the day, in this game the field of play is always changing and always moving there is no getting around that. So when things change, I just tend to focus on adapting and learning the new systems rather spending a lot of time wringing my hands over what was.

We don't know everything yet, but it seems like many (or at least some) have assumed that Mr & Mrs Smith will be "worse" but we really don't know that. Perhaps it will be better! But who knows, either way the SLH move to Hilton is a done deal; it is what it is.

Regards
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:39 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I was not particularly fond of this partnership. I was never fully convinced of the SLH hotels. Some SLH hotel were simply not "luxury" in my view (I posted a review on The Plymouth South Beach (SLH) - Hotel Reviews (flyertalk.com)), other SLH hotels were simply waaaaayyy toooo expensive for what they represent.

I will not miss them.
Sydneyberlin and MarkOK like this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 8, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:21 pm

Definite bummer for us. We were planning on another stay at Tabacon for a very reasonable amount of points next year. Mr and Mrs Smith has some great looking hotels but I'll be missing quite a few SLH specific options.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:24 pm

Reading all those posts, like with all hotel (and airline) schemes, it obviously depends on individual circumstances.

For me personally, these properties never made much sense as wherever I tend to travel (mostly “mainstream” locations in Asia, the US and Europe), there usually are “proper” Hyatt properties which give me way more benefits as a Globalist than SLH have ever given me (I read here that there must be differences too but the few I’ve stayed in never went out of their way in terms of upgrades, very much unlike many, not all, “proper” Hyatt hotels). The newly added Thompson and Dream hotels really upped Hyatt’s game in the US while the slightly odd Lindner integration in my birth country of Germany significantly increased the chance to gain Hyatt nights there (though most of the properties are pretty meh tbh but anything is better than no properties at all).

Speaking of- closer to home Down Under, where Hyatt is seriously lacking footprint (maybe aside from Melbourne which has plenty -and good- choice of Hyatt hotels and Auckland which has one of the best Hyatt properties in the world with their stunning Park Hyatt), Mr. & Mrs. Smith have super exciting options, often in places where Hyatt has been entirely absent. So I have my hopes up high, as long as this integration will work well.
GrayAnderson and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
IMO 50 Bowery in NYC is a loss, as it is a quality property that could often be had at rates much lower than the Hyatt/Thompson branded hotels.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcstudent
IMO 50 Bowery in NYC is a loss, as it is a quality property that could often be had at rates much lower than the Hyatt/Thompson branded hotels.
50 Bowery is JdV?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
I asked my concierge about this and seems they are the last to know anything.

We stayed at a few SLH and they were excellent stays.

She had no idea when Mr and Mrs Smith will be integrated.

It does sound like SLH and Hyatt never got along at the corporate level.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by coleslaw
50 Bowery is JdV?
You're right. My bad, don't know why I thought it was SLH.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Don't let the door hit them on the way out. They didn't even properly integrate brand benefits. I won't say that this is a gain for Hyatt, but it's really not much of a loss.

[Mr. and Mrs. Smith is a gain, and I'd consider the trade to be a net benefit [i]presuming that the latter gets fully integrated without serious damage, even if I don't want to think about how horridly expensive something like Aman New York would be in points.]
What is there to fully integrate? MMS is primarily a sales channel. The have partnerships with many upscale/luxury hotels and curate them for their customer base. It is like a slightly bigger Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impresario, Amex FHR, or the like.

Like the travel agent concept, this one is very U.S. centric and while I realize a few extra travel perks are thrown in through these programs, MMS is essentially a modern, digital luxury travel consultancy.

In no way this can be seen as equivalent to new hotels joining Hyatt. This is not a real expansion along the lines of, say, Two Roads Hospitality.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ffgap
What is there to fully integrate? MMS is primarily a sales channel. The have partnerships with many upscale/luxury hotels and curate them for their customer base. It is like a slightly bigger Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impresario, Amex FHR, or the like.

Like the travel agent concept, this one is very U.S. centric and while I realize a few extra travel perks are thrown in through these programs, MMS is essentially a modern, digital luxury travel consultancy.

In no way this can be seen as equivalent to new hotels joining Hyatt. This is not a real expansion along the lines of, say, Two Roads Hospitality.
integration = being able to book MMS properties via Hyatt, getting EQN and points for spend, some form of WOH / elite benefits, being able to redeem points, etc.

They also need to work out which properties stay MMS vs leave. Eg I can’t see Rosewood being bookable via Hyatt.com.
Sydneyberlin and escape4 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
integration = being able to book MMS properties via Hyatt, getting EQN and points for spend, some form of WOH / elite benefits, being able to redeem points, etc.

They also need to work out which properties stay MMS vs leave. Eg I can’t see Rosewood being bookable via Hyatt.com.
I think the point is that MMS properties would be like a travel agent for Hyatt Prive considering the properties they could book for you as “their properties”. It’s more of a booking or modern travel agent than a franchisee of the MMS name to hotels.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I think the point is that MMS properties would be like a travel agent for Hyatt Prive considering the properties they could book for you as “their properties”. It’s more of a booking or modern travel agent than a franchisee of the MMS name to hotels.
Couldn’t care less what the corporate and legal set ups are- for me as a WOH member, all that counts is whether I get the aforementioned benefits, especially counting towards Hyatt stay nights, getting (and ideally redeeming points) and -wouldn’t that be nice- upgrades and other benefits based on Hyatt status. How that is accomplished, I don’t really give a toss.

My big fear as this whole MMS will inevitably lead to disappointment, especially as “hundreds of properties” doesn’t mean much until we hear more. I bet I am not the only one who has started looking up what’s on offer in MMS, getting excited about the prospects. But surely, lots of the excitement will die down once we find out which properties can be booked through Hyatt and which ones cannot. We shall see- I am hopeful, Hyatt tends to be less likely to eff things up than the other chains, in my experience at least.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Hotels have essentially the same relationship with MMS as they do with SLH. It’s a marketing relationship. But hotels like Rosewood (and other chains) are unlikely to want to be bookable via Hyatt. Perhaps they will, but I doubt it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.