Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.

This thread is staying behind in the Hyatt forum to address the wind-down, handling of existing reservations, etc.

For the active Hilton forum thread, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ns-hilton.html

Hyatt announcement:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Although I was told to rest assured, I am concerned that I will be required to find alternative lodging in Zurich this upcoming September. The redemption rate and price at the Park Hyatt are roughly double what I secured at Ambassador. As has been pointed out above, WoH is now a whole lot less useful in Europe.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by newflyer2372
Has anyone been able to bully them into honoring free breakfast or provide compensation for the lost breakfast? We'd be out $300 on breakfast alone. Trying to email Hyatt, SLH, and the hotels directly to see if someone comes to their senses.
I'm thinking about asking since I've stayed at the particular hotel previously.

Otherwise, I'm likely to switch to a FHR hotel.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold, DL GM
The EQN thing is silly, because it's very doable for Hyatt to do it - they know who intended to stay and it's already in their system - and would be a smart sign of goodwill

The rest of the perks are probably a tough luck scenario, unless you get a really sympathetic hotel I don't know why they'd give you the upgrades/late checkout/breakfast etc.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skydelt
The EQN thing is silly, because it's very doable for Hyatt to do it - they know who intended to stay and it's already in their system - and would be a smart sign of goodwill

The rest of the perks are probably a tough luck scenario, unless you get a really sympathetic hotel I don't know why they'd give you the upgrades/late checkout/breakfast etc.
Right - the EQNs are provided by Hyatt, and I would think the economics are still the same for Hyatt whether your stay is before or after May 15. So they should provide the EQNs either way.

The perks at the hotel, different story. That's on the individual hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Yeah, this is why I mentioned above keeping ours for now...just in case they get enough push back and change course on this. We have until July 20 to cancel and an AA miles backup that can be canceled as late as 7/24.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:29 pm

The difficulty might be that the booking system interconnection is severed after May 15 and the Hyatt system will no longer be notified of a completed stay, thus no automated way to credit EQNs. Just speculating but many times when travel programs donít make sense itís associated with a technical limitation.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If that's the case how do you explain the fact that the bookings are being kept/honored in the first place? Is Hyatt going to manually export every post-5/15 booking to the individual property's own booking system or similar?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkc192
If that's the case how do you explain the fact that the bookings are being kept/honored in the first place? Is Hyatt going to manually export every post-5/15 booking to the individual property's own booking system or similar?
Almost. When you were booking through Hyatt, the mentioned interconnect created bookings in the hotels' booking system (the bookings always had a non-Hyatt reference number, just like booking Design Hotels through Marriott). This is why honoring those reservations are easy ó they are already there. As you can no longer book any SLH through Hyatt, that connection should be dead already, so the manual part happens when you cancel an existing booking.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm pretty shocked that Hyatt is yanking the EQNs from reservations made before any of us knew that this program was ending.
Isn't that industry standard, though? When an individual hotel leaves the chain, what normally happens is that they will honor the reservation and that's it, making it as if you booked through an ineligible third-party channel.

Originally Posted by josephstern
I guess the terms somehow allow this?
Hotel must be participating at the time of check-in, hotel loyalty programs are usually pretty clear on that.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:28 pm

We have several nights booked in late July at Mirror Lake Inn, Lake Placid. When the Hyatt split news first hit, I booked some (less than ideal) backup properties, and with the official announcement last week I decided to give them a call. I wanted their internal reservation number, for when my rez inevitably disappears from the Hyatt website, and I also asked broadly what impact the breakup would have on the usual Hyatt benefits. Surprisingly, after a very brief hold to confer with management, the desk agent said that all benefits will be honored for reservations already made: free breakfast, room upgrade & late checkout (pending availability as always). I don’t think EQNs were mentioned but I also wouldn’t expect a SLH property to know or care. I took this to mean any rez made before the announcement, probably not those made since and before 5/15, but I did not ask specifically.

I plan to call again after 5/15 to make sure all is the same, maybe ask for something in writing to verify the benefits extension, but I wonder if that would be considered rude. During our previous (and alas only other) stay at Mirror Lake Inn, the service was excellent across the board. This decision to extend benefits for Hyatt guests is certainly in line with that experience, so thanks, MLI.

Last edited by FlyoverEasy; Mar 19, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Nice to hear that. It may be that many locations honor prior benefits even now, and the only thing lost would be the EQN. For us and our stay that would be enough reason to cancel and reclaim the 20k points as our AA miles backup covers what we need.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyoverEasy
We have several nights booked in late July at Mirror Lake Inn, Lake Placid. When the Hyatt split news first hit, I booked some (less than ideal) backup properties, and with the official announcement last week I decided to give them a call. I wanted their internal reservation number, for when my rez inevitably disappears from the Hyatt website, and I also asked broadly what impact the breakup would have on the usual Hyatt benefits. Surprisingly, after a very brief hold to confer with management, the desk agent said that all benefits will be honored for reservations already made: free breakfast, room upgrade & late checkout (pending availability as always). I donít think EQNs were mentioned but I also wouldnít expect a SLH property to know or care. I took this to mean any rez made before the announcement, probably not those made since and before 5/15, but I did not ask specifically.

I plan to call again after 5/15 to make sure all is the same, maybe ask for something in writing to verify the benefits extension, but I wonder if that would be considered rude. During our previous (and alas only other) stay at Mirror Lake Inn, the service was excellent across the board. This decision to extend benefits for Hyatt guests is certainly in line with that experience, so thanks, MLI.
I don't think that request would be rude at all, if your stay hinges on the perks. Of course, like any request, there are nice ways and rude ways to pose it, but assuming you're reasonable, I'd expect they'll understand.

I don't think there's any way you'll get EQNs though. That would have to be an accommodation from Hyatt which seems unlikely at this point unfortunately.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:45 am

Free breakfast was the most important benefit for us, but ultimately not a dealbreaker. I’m not chasing status at Hyatt or anywhere else with a few stays annually, so not getting EQNs is next to meaningless, personally. If MLI had, or ultimately does not honor the Hyatt benefits, it’s still a $600+ cash rate booked at better than $0.02/pt, which is just fine.

I think I will email and ask for some sort of confirmation, but maybe before 5/15, in case there’s a change of thinking after the program ends.

Last edited by FlyoverEasy; Mar 20, 2024 at 8:53 am
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyoverEasy
We have several nights booked in late July at Mirror Lake Inn, Lake Placid. When the Hyatt split news first hit, I booked some (less than ideal) backup properties, and with the official announcement last week I decided to give them a call. I wanted their internal reservation number, for when my rez inevitably disappears from the Hyatt website, and I also asked broadly what impact the breakup would have on the usual Hyatt benefits. Surprisingly, after a very brief hold to confer with management, the desk agent said that all benefits will be honored for reservations already made: free breakfast, room upgrade & late checkout (pending availability as always). I donít think EQNs were mentioned but I also wouldnít expect a SLH property to know or care. I took this to mean any rez made before the announcement, probably not those made since and before 5/15, but I did not ask specifically.

I am in a similar situation with a high end SLH I booked in Greece for this summer, Canaves Epitome. I would still like to stay even without the EQNs but would be bummed if we were charged for breakfast. When I look at their general website, it appears that free breakfast is included with all reservations regardless on where booked. Upon getting the email from Hyatt, I called Hyatt who placed me on hold and contacted the hotel who said I would still get free breakfast for my stay but she wouldn't give it to me in writing. She offered to connect me back to the hotel but I was then disconnected. So, I might try to email the the hotel concierge with the hopes of getting some written confirmation.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:09 pm

How has everyone been planning their summer vacations in Europe in light of this breakup? While I admit SLH was never my first choice given lack of integration and globalist benefits, those hotels really were a big part of Hyatt's footprint in Europe, particularly if you wanted to stay outside a large city. As they haven't integrated with MMS hotels yet, there really aren't a lot of bookable places for the summer, especially if you're looking to maintain status for the year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.