Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.

This thread is staying behind in the Hyatt forum to address the wind-down, handling of existing reservations, etc.

For the active Hilton forum thread, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ns-hilton.html

Hyatt announcement:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Hotels have essentially the same relationship with MMS as they do with SLH. Itís a marketing relationship. But hotels like Rosewood (and other chains) are unlikely to want to be bookable via Hyatt. Perhaps they will, but I doubt it.
Rosewood? How about Aman? I just counted 11 Aman properties on the MMS platform. I cannot imagine being able to book them with Hyatt points or earn Hyatt points for my stays.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Rosewood? How about Aman? I just counted 11 Aman properties on the MMS platform. I cannot imagine being able to book them with Hyatt points or earn Hyatt points for my stays.
Yes, Aman is another example.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
At which point, having them appear in any way in Hyatt's system feels like a mildly deceptive exercise. At some stage they're not "part of your system", they're an illusion.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
Couldnít care less what the corporate and legal set ups are- for me as a WOH member, all that counts is whether I get the aforementioned benefits, especially counting towards Hyatt stay nights, getting (and ideally redeeming points) and -wouldnít that be nice- upgrades and other benefits based on Hyatt status. How that is accomplished, I donít really give a toss.
I understand. And you're surely not the only one to wish that.

To Hyatt's credit, they have done fantastic work on some past partnerships (e.g., MGM). However, the point of my previous post #86 was to warn that MMS is primarily a distribution channel which describes itself as a "travel club for hotel lovers." Club membership is "by invitation only," i.e., you sign up for free using Google or Facebook

The relationship between MMS and a hotel bookable through them is a totally different animal than the relationship Hyatt has with member properties. Most likely, MMS receives a commission, a certain percentage of the room rate, whenever it brings in a customer through its site. The hotel may throw in a few perks to people booking through MMS as part of the marketing cooperation, similar to how Secret Escapes can lock in certain extras (or Amex FHR on a level further upscale). Importantly, these commissions received by MMS aren't big enough to finance a hotel-style loyalty program.

Hyatt receives various "contributions" and "assessments" whenever a member stays at a Hyatt-branded property, some of which specifically go into funds used to run a major loyalty program like WoH. To repeat, an agent like MMS doesn't have that, their business model works differently.

Suppose a WoH member stays at a property arranged by MMS and you wanted to give him elite-night credit as well as redeemable points for that stay. Well, you gotta find the money to do it. This isn't just an accounting exercise. When a member stays at a Hyatt, actual money flows from the hotel to WoH that can be used to provide benefits. Again, with MMF, you gotta find that money. So I think one should not expect too much from this Hyatt acquisition. Either a major revamp of MMS' business model or substantial additional investment by Hyatt would be required to make these properties feel like real Hyatts to the customer.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:07 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
There is no way that MMS properties are fully integrated like real Hyatt brands.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
There is no way that MMS properties are fully integrated like real Hyatt brands.
Love it how some people on here just "know" things...

But no one has said that they will be integrated "like real Hyatt brands". "Tighter than SLH" is what we've gotten promised so far. And now it's wait and see...
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
My guess is that MMS stays as-is, with Aman and Rosewood - they just won't participate in WoH, like quite some SLH hotels never did.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I was not particularly fond of this partnership. I was never fully convinced of the SLH hotels. Some SLH hotel were simply not "luxury" in my view (I posted a review on The Plymouth South Beach (SLH) - Hotel Reviews (flyertalk.com)), other SLH hotels were simply waaaaayyy toooo expensive for what they represent.

I will not miss them.
If you care mostly for the US market, sure. For us in Europe it's a different game - SLH is more than half of the options, rendering complete countries "WoH-less".
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:11 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Kaloz
If you care mostly for the US market, sure. For us in Europe it's a different game - SLH is more than half of the options, rendering complete countries "WoH-less".
I agree to your statement. My point however is, that the quality is not there where I'd expect them to be. In Switzerland, the only good SLH hotel I have experienced so far was Gstaad. When in Ticino, I go to other hotels, non- WoH obviously, but it was not justifiable to stay at an SLH hotel
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I agree to your statement. My point however is, that the quality is not there where I'd expect them to be. In Switzerland, the only good SLH hotel I have experienced so far was Gstaad. When in Ticino, I go to other hotels, non- WoH obviously, but it was not justifiable to stay at an SLH hotel
It's a mixed bag for sure, Hospes Infante Sagres Porto was just ok, while we had a great time in the Chateau de Cagnard (Cagnes-sur-Mer) and the The Pand Hotel (Bruges) - neither of those seem to be available through MMS :/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am surprised that relationship is ending. I felt this was a pretty natural relationship due to the lack of overall Hyatt properties and the fact that I consider Hyatt as a step up from the Hilton brand. Particularly over the last few years, Hilton properties have really gone downhill in my opinion.

I am planning a stay for early April and had planned to make a cash booking via Hyatt at an SLH property but a little hesitant.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kaloz
My guess is that MMS stays as-is, with Aman and Rosewood - they just won't participate in WoH, like quite some SLH hotels never did.
Yea they would have to to make it like 80000 points a day or more for some of these properties and even then they would be a great value $ per point basis.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RoodyPooUS
Yea they would have to to make it like 80000 points a day or more for some of these properties and even then they would be a great value $ per point basis.
Thats the best case - more likely they would just do the same as with Destination and set a fixed value per point.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I am surprised that relationship is ending. I felt this was a pretty natural relationship due to the lack of overall Hyatt properties and the fact that I consider Hyatt as a step up from the Hilton brand.
Hilton is more than twice as big as Hyatt.

I think people in the WoH forum need to get out of their bubble. Sure, if you compare the average Hilton with the average Hyatt, you will find that Hyatt is positioned a bit more upmarket. But first, Hyatt's portfolio isn't all gold (posting this from a very mediocre American HR) and second, Hilton makes up for it by its size.

Another thing is that it is still to be proven that Hyatt traded up with MMS against SLH. MMS seems do be doing well right now. But it's still kinda new. Will it remain relevant to its customers for years to come? Curated travel experience sounds like something AI might be really good at within a few years.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ffgap
Hilton is more than twice as big as Hyatt.

I think people in the WoH forum need to get out of their bubble.
Having been top tier member in both, I can wholeheartedly say that I love my Hyatt bubble because itís WAY more comfortable than that ďbiggerĒ Hilton swamp

And I donít even have the benefit of living in the US where the size difference is less noticeable than anywhere else in the world. For me itís less about the properties themselves- I do love Waldorf Astorias in particular though Hilton really doesnít have anything to compete with the Andaz/Hyatt Centric/Dream hotels more contemporary style properties which I love. But what really matters to me are the status benefits and thatís where Hyatt blows the competition easily out of the water in my experience. SLH was the exception to that which is why Iím not too sad to see them go (and hope that MMS will be integrated more tightly).
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.