Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
This is a bigger loss for Hyatt than I think appears at the surface — it takes away a lot of luxury non-city international hotels, an area that Hyatt has been historically lacking in

Take Italy for example — if you don't want a big Hyatt in Milan, you're almost fully out of luck now
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by skydelt
This is a bigger loss for Hyatt than I think appears at the surface — it takes away a lot of luxury non-city international hotels, an area that Hyatt has been historically lacking in

Take Italy for example — if you don't want a big Hyatt in Milan, you're almost fully out of luck now
Well, with little effort/analysis, I just counted 9 different Mr & Mrs Smith properties that are in Milan.

Anyone that believed this partnership with SLH was going to survive in the face of the Mr & Mrs Smith acquisition really wasn't paying attention.

Regards
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:18 am
Community Director Emerita

This was a shocker. I perceive Hyatt as being a higher end chain than Hilton. And I find it challenging to get in my 60 nights at Hyatt to retain globalist. I got in several nights in Malaysia in December. This makes it a bit more of a challenge.

I've got lots of Hilton points. I'll be interested to see how many points it takes to get free nights at properties of interest. I've got the credit card that gives me Diamond status so I've no interest in doing paid stays at SLH.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This was a shocker. I perceive Hyatt as being a higher end chain than Hilton. And I find it challenging to get in my 60 nights at Hyatt to retain globalist. I got in several nights in Malaysia in December. This makes it a bit more of a challenge.

I've got lots of Hilton points. I'll be interested to see how many points it takes to get free nights at properties of interest. I've got the credit card that gives me Diamond status so I've no interest in doing paid stays at SLH.
How can you be shocked? If I recall, you've been participating in the discussion that this was likely coming. Did you believe SLH would be ok with Hyatt purchasing what is effectively a competitor?

Again, with little effort or analysis, I just found ~9 Mr & Mrs Smith properties in Malaysia, which seems to be roughly on par with the current number of SLH properties located in Malaysia.

Regards
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
How can you be shocked?
It's the Hilton part that shocked me, not that SLH left Hyatt.
PG.backpacker likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How can you be shocked? If I recall, you've been participating in the discussion that this was likely coming. Did you believe SLH would be ok with Hyatt purchasing what is effectively a competitor?

Again, with little effort or analysis, I just found ~9 Mr & Mrs Smith properties in Malaysia, which seems to be roughly on par with the current number of SLH properties located in Malaysia.

Regards
Im a little surprised that it’s Hilton stepping in vs one of the smaller chains. Not shocked, but mildly surprised.

It does make me wonder whether SLH had intended to break off the Hyatt relationship and if that prompted the MMS purchase. Or what other dynamics were happening behind the scenes.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Im a little surprised that it’s Hilton stepping in vs one of the smaller chains. Not shocked, but mildly surprised.

It does make me wonder whether SLH had intended to break off the Hyatt relationship and if that prompted the MMS purchase. Or what other dynamics were happening behind the scenes.
It's a good question, and the best sign we'll get one way or another (though still not perfect) is the timing, level, and breadth of the MMS integration with WoH.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:38 am

We don't know enough yet about Mr and Mrs Smith for me to gleefully count stay credits. It's been a long while since I looked, but there were some Aman properties that were Mr and Mrs Smith. I find it hard to believe that I'll be able to book them thru Hyatt - or that it will be the best route to do so, though that's a completely different discussion.

I need to look and see what Mr and Mrs Smith has in Belize. There were two SLH properties where friends had good stays. UPDATE: all the SLH properties are also Mr and Mrs Smith. Interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Well, with little effort/analysis, I just counted 9 different Mr & Mrs Smith properties that are in Milan.

Anyone that believed this partnership with SLH was going to survive in the face of the Mr & Mrs Smith acquisition really wasn't paying attention.

Regards
non-city international hotels was really my point here - the footprint of European and Latin American non urban hotels is shrinking considerably
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would love to know the SLH departure date for planning purpose.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
All that really matters is when and if SLH award bookings using Hyatt points are unceremoniously cancelled, leaving people stranded...
I wanted stay credit for my cash rates.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:15 am

We all know why this failed and it's one very simple reason. You had to grossly overpay through the Hyatt channel to get credit with Hyatt at all SLH property. It just made zero sense to book SLH through Hyatt with very very few exceptions, which is 100 percent why this failed. Full stop. Not surprising at all. If you had been able to get Hyatt credit for any SLH stay booked period, this would have been far far more in demand. On the one hand, I would say I hate to lose ANY options, but on the other, over several hundred nights during the SLH partnership, I did 1 stay at an SLH property and 90 percent of the time I found that you couldn't even book an SLH property on the Hyatt site anyway.
Sydneyberlin, wantan and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
SLH leaving Hyatt for Hilton

https://stories.hilton.com/releases/...xury-portfolio
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by antonius66
We all know why this failed and it's one very simple reason. You had to grossly overpay through the Hyatt channel to get credit with Hyatt at all SLH property. It just made zero sense to book SLH through Hyatt with very very few exceptions, which is 100 percent why this failed. Full stop. Not surprising at all. If you had been able to get Hyatt credit for any SLH stay booked period, this would have been far far more in demand. On the one hand, I would say I hate to lose ANY options, but on the other, over several hundred nights during the SLH partnership, I did 1 stay at an SLH property and 90 percent of the time I found that you couldn't even book an SLH property on the Hyatt site anyway.
As I intimated above, I have an upcoming stay at Cougar Ridge Lodge in Utah that was nearly double the price to book the same room via Hyatt channels. The EQNs and marginal increase in points is simply not worth hundred of extra dollars per night.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
hopefully this half-assed integration of SLH won't be present in the Mr&Mrs Smith integration.
Sydneyberlin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.