Wiki Posts
Search

SIXT - Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I am Platinum which was achieved through actual rentals rather than airline status, so normally I do always get some sort of upgrade. I have not rented in Germany since 2014 though. Mainly I rent in France.

I noted at DUS they seem to have G-Wagen and BMW i8, but I am not expecting one of them - I might try my luck if I see them on the lot though!
I have been trying for the i8 ever since i saw they have it. No luck.

Let me know if you get the G though!!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
DUS
Platinum
Booked: Mercedes S Class or equivalent (XDAR)
Assigned: BMW 7 series Long Wheelbase
Received: BMW 7 series Long Wheelbase

There was a huge argument going on between three staff and a customer at the desk, so I just took the 7 series I was assigned with the plan to look around the garage and go back to the staff there if I saw something nicer. In the event my assigned car was high spec and in great condition, and there was not much on either level of the garage other than an Audi A8 and an Audi Q7 so I just took the 7 series. Very happy with it although a bit funny driving a long wheelbase with no passengers. Definitely no G-Wagen, S500 or BMW i8 there!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
DUS
Platinum
Booked: Mercedes S Class or equivalent (XDAR)
Assigned: BMW 7 series Long Wheelbase
Received: BMW 7 series Long Wheelbase

There was a huge argument going on between three staff and a customer at the desk, so I just took the 7 series I was assigned with the plan to look around the garage and go back to the staff there if I saw something nicer. In the event my assigned car was high spec and in great condition, and there was not much on either level of the garage other than an Audi A8 and an Audi Q7 so I just took the 7 series. Very happy with it although a bit funny driving a long wheelbase with no passengers. Definitely no G-Wagen, S500 or BMW i8 there!
Yeah ... I’ve never seen the i8 or the G “just parked” there in DUS or HAM. Last time I was assigned an S550 long, but I successfully argued out of it as that was an oddball car to drive alone ... this time I don’t know what I’ll do.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Yeah ... I’ve never seen the i8 or the G “just parked” there in DUS or HAM. Last time I was assigned an S550 long, but I successfully argued out of it as that was an oddball car to drive alone ... this time I don’t know what I’ll do.
I had a longer look around both levels at DUS this morning when I returned the car, I spotted one Range Rover, around 4 BMW 740 standard wheelbase and a couple of S350D standard wheelbase. Didn't see any other 740le like mine, I must say it was quite a challenge in the very narrow underground hotel car park! The only mildly sporty car was an Audi A5 coupe and a Maserati Quatroporte. Apart from that there really was nothing too exotic. I guess the i8 and G must need to be specifically booked.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Two rentals

EDI

Rented Lucky Dip Car got a Audi Q2 ILMR very nice had a few nice options one was Nav.

NAP (Naples)

Rented SDMR BMW Serie 2 Active Tourer

received SWMR BMW Serie 2 Active Tourer 216d manual with Nav. Not too sure if this really was a upgrade, the X3 next to ours would have been a nice upgrade.

BTW, I am platinum
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:51 am

Gold member here,
I rented an FDMR at CGN, asked the lady at the desk whether they have some petrol 3 series better than 320 and she upgraded me to a FWAR 330i estate.
Loved the car, it was relatively new with low milage.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Rented SDMR BMW Serie 2 Active Tourer

received SWMR BMW Serie 2 Active Tourer 216d manual with Nav. Not too sure if this really was a upgrade
An upgrade because of the Nav you mean? If they really do consider that an upgrade, it's pathetic.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:15 am

One from last week

LYS (one way rental to MRS)
Platinum
Booked: Citreon Space Tourer 9 Seater (FVMR)
Assigned: Opel Vivaro 9 seater with NAV (FVMR)
Received: Opel Vivaro 9 seater with NAV (FVMR)

I did ask about several Mercedes Luxury Vans on the lot but was told they were not available for a one way rental (and indeed when I was booking they were not an option I could select). Typical of a one-way rental I was given a high miles vehicle with lots of damage that they were no doubt happy to send to Marseilles! It was clean and perfectly roadworthy and given the purpose of my trip it was absolutely fine. The staff at Lyon were very friendly and courteous.

Of note is that the lot at Marseilles Airport was crammed with lots of lovely new luxury vehicles and premium convertibles, assume they have just received their summer stock.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by clubman
An upgrade because of the Nav you mean? If they really do consider that an upgrade, it's pathetic.
It is technically an upgrade, but given in practice it is unlikely they would have any of that model without NAV, then I wouldn't consider it a proper upgrade within the context of most experiences at Sixt. Avis would absolutely consider it an upgrade as they disable the NAV systems whenever they can unless you pay!
Old May 7, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I realise that, but in today's day and age when you can easily manage with Waze and other Nav options on your phone (which often work better than the built in ones), I would not consider that an upgrade.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold
Booked: FWMR
Got: Mercedes C220 stationcar - 194hp, which was nice. But quite a boring drive.

Not sure why, but no matter which station, I book BWM or Audi and more often than not get Mercedes. Since I know the other two cockpits quite well, it's always a hassle to then get used to the Mercedes.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:42 am

Rental duration: 3 Days
Booked: Mercedes C Class Convertible (LTMR)
Assigned: Mercedes C Class Convertible (LTMR)
Received: Maserati Ghibli Ribelle 430bhp SQ4 V6 Twin Turbo

Well, this was my best ever upgrade, one of 200 of a ltd edition with only 600km on the clock and the upgrade package. The weather forecast was bad so I enquired about something fast but not convertible at the desk. Was offered the Maserati - a great drive and very nice loud exhaust, perfect for the smaller roads I was on.

One slight warning - French gilets jaunes didn’t seem to like such a smart car and I had a few unpleasant gestures on the road, I was only parking in Chateau so not a problem but I wouldn’t want to leave such a vehicle in public parking due to the current political climate in rural France.
Holometer3D likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Two questions:

I booked a “lucky chance car” (Group CCCC) at LAX this summer (July) as a Sixt Flying Blue platinum member.
Anyone can predict what I can expect in terms of vehicle?

I also booked a Citroen C1 (Group MCMR) at Brindisi Airport (BDS) in June

Last edited by BobTL; May 19, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old May 23, 2019, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
Two questions:

I booked a “lucky chance car” (Group CCCC) at LAX this summer (July) as a Sixt Flying Blue platinum member.

I also booked a Citroen C1 (Group MCMR) at Brindisi Airport (BDS) in June
It is almost impossible to predict really. Certainly reports of CCCC vary wildly but don't expect anything too exciting and if you are lucky you will have a pleasant suprise.

If you only book a Citreon C1 your upgrade (if you get one) will not be very interesting. If you want the best upgrades you must at least book a BMW 3 series sized vehicle or equivalent, ideally an automatic. Then in my experience the agents are more open to offering really nice vehicles. The key in Europe is to book an automatic even if you book a very basic car as often availability of automatics is very restricted. Slightly off topic but a colleague of mine booked a compact automatic from Enterprise at Geneva and they were so short that they had to give her a Mercedes E Class as it was the smallest auto they had.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:20 pm

Paris - Downtown

- Platinum
- Paris - 2 Arrondissement near the Lourve (Paris 02 Vendome Opera)
- VW Golf VII MANUAL, VW T-Roc, Volvo V40 or similar to group CLMR
- VW Golf Auto w/ BlueMotion. I really wanted a manual but they said all they had was a downgrade to a Peugeot 208, or to get all the insurance they would upgrade to a Mercedes C-class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.