Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Would it be a single ticket from the US to the Philippines, connecting in Singapore, or separate tickets?

Under current rules a 16 hour layover on a separate ticket would be easy - just spend the extra few dollars on insurance and an arrival antigen test and you won't have to isolate at all. That's a long enough layover that you can enjoy the city some.
Yes, it would be a single ticket. That would be harder?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:06 am

Sure, but in theory the results should take 15 minutes; you'd have your results by the time you get to your hotel to drop off your bags. For a 16 hour layover I presume most people would want to have access to a hotel room.

There seems to be a Raffles center in terminal 3 that does arrival tests, though there's not good information about it that I can find.
If allowed — i.e. the requirement is not for you to head to the accommodation first, I’m still not clear if that’s OK’d, though it sounds like it would meet the requirement as written — the conditions you mentioned still need to be met:
1. Hotel is reserved and available; e.g. VTL traveller isn’t arriving at 7am with a 9pm departure and expecting to get through with no hotel or a check in time at 12pm.
2. VTL traveller has an immediate appointment time upon exit from immigration; no hanging around waiting for their slot (not possible at Changi if arrival is outside the clinic’s hours which bpk6h noted above)
3. VTL traveller will be travelling to said accommodation by way of an allowed transit option after the test but before the result (if you were at the Crowne @ Changi, you may get there before your test result [EDIT]Well, the Crowne Royal seems closed until October? Also, apparently an email may take up to 12hrs, though a local mobile number may receive a SMS in 2hrs)

Plus, if the traveller misses the appointment slot due to delay at immigration, etc., when could they get a new one?

And worst case, if the traveller tests positive and needs to do a PCR as a follow-up, their isolation requirement would be extended (and separately, the rest of the trip would be in jeopardy).

End of the day, the isolation requirements do remain, but in some well-planned and not-unlucky cases it may be possible to minimise that to only the relevant time — time to travel to the clinic, wait at the clinic for the test, and travel to the accommodations and/or until the results are received — during which the traveller would not have to isolate (but cannot in the interim, say, stop at the T3 hawker center for food, for example).

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Probably best to check with SQ whether SG immigration will allow stopovers during transit, and whether SQ will be able to treat you as if you were entering Singapore, including any reporting they may need to do to SG immigration.
(With separate tickets, Singapore is already your final destination on the first ticket, so that should not be a possible issue you face.)

[EDIT] Ah, right… to be clear, above is only of you want to enter Singapore. As Doppy said, you are fine staying in the transit area, then it should be fairly straightforward to just use the transit hotel.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:42 am

So I got back a response regarding not able to submit vaccination QR code. It is basically telling me to appeal. I will need the "CAS-" number in the e-mail to submit my appeal.

But after looking at my Smart Health Card closely, I figured out the mistake I made. I swapped the month and date of my birthday (I am from US, and too used to entering MM/DD instead of DD/MM) and apparently, mismatch birthday is a mismatch of name.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpk6h
​​​​​​The T3 Raffles is listed as a "VTL OAT" centre but the hours will only be suitable for some flights. If arriving on a long flight, I would just go to the hotel (or home in my case) and book the new video supervised test.
Yes, the hours are not ideal for early/late arrivals. Video supervised is a good idea - is there somewhere in the airport to buy an approved test?

I also noticed that the approved test list includes some tests that are available in the US, but under different names/configurations. For example, you can get Abbott Binax in the US which uses a card, versus the approved Abbot Panbio, which is the same chemicals/test strip, but in cassette form.

If you're making the connection on one ticket, you can stay in the airport and you won't need to "enter" Singapore. If you go this route, I would book one of the hotels inside security.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h
The video ART is now officially accepted for VTL arrivals:
https://milelion.com/2022/02/22/good...rival-testing/
I was looking into this… a bit uncertain why the Ministry of Health hasn’t updated their list / instructions to confirm that this Doctor Anywhere tests are acceptable. They only seems to only reference CTCs & QTCs?

I mean; if they are a Singapore based organisation as is suggested, DA has to ensure they publish only factual statements (since the relevant SG ministries could pull them up for it), but the fact that the official list/website doesn’t yet validate their press releases is… confusing.

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 27, 2022 at 12:22 am
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:21 am

Now it’s even more confusing that DA is saying that their tele-testing is suitable to meet the VTL requirements if Singapore Immigration contact center staff is saying that is not the case… from another thread:
You could also use the video testing option discussed towards the end of this thread:

Originally Posted by mypeko
Called safe travel and the lady told me that’s not for the on arrival test for passengers going thru VTL.
Doppy likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:25 am

I just booked a trip to Singapore. I have family in SG but I'm a visitor and not a resident, so I'm subject to the 30k travel insurance requirements. I'm a U.S citizen. Just wondering what would be the cheapest option for 30k medical coverage (that includes COVID)? I'm fully vaccinated, (relatively) young, and already spent a lot on the trip.. so I just want the minimum to meet SG's requirements preferably.. I've looked at World Nomads coverage which seems good.. 200k coverage or something.. but costs $100+ per month. I'd be happy to find something in the $20 - $50/month range or other suggestions. I've never extensively but usually don't go the travel insurance route, this time it's mandatory.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA
I just booked a trip to Singapore. I have family in SG but I'm a visitor and not a resident, so I'm subject to the 30k travel insurance requirements. I'm a U.S citizen. Just wondering what would be the cheapest option for 30k medical coverage (that includes COVID)? I'm fully vaccinated, (relatively) young, and already spent a lot on the trip.. so I just want the minimum to meet SG's requirements preferably.. I've looked at World Nomads coverage which seems good.. 200k coverage or something.. but costs $100+ per month. I'd be happy to find something in the $20 - $50/month range or other suggestions. I've never extensively but usually don't go the travel insurance route, this time it's mandatory.
Try this one:
https://www.visitorscoverage.com/
It has coverage for only few days and cost me about $10 for 2 people.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
So I had thought that for entry to Singapore through the VTL one had to have had a vaccine within the last 270 days. However, I'm not reading that here: https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/faq

The relevant section: "6. Are travellers required to obtain a booster dose to be eligible for the VTL?Currently, VTL travellers are not required to obtain a booster dose. They are only required to be fully vaccinated with their primary vaccination series to be eligible for entry into Singapore.

Nonetheless, individuals aged 12 years and older are recommended to receive a booster dose from about five months after the last dose of their primary vaccination series, or as soon as possible thereafter, in order to maintain good protection against COVID-19."

Has something changed? If one does NOT have to have been vaccinated in the last nine months then I'm booking a ticket right now! I am fully vaccinated but not boosted.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MP Platinum
Self-isolation Accommodations?

Planning to travel to SG in May, arriving on a Friday evening, 940pm on VTL flight from YVR (on SQ direct non-stop).
My wife and I are planning to stay with her sister (a LTPH, not SC or PR), who lives in a smallish flat (1.5 bdrm, 1 bath).

My question is about self-isolation accommodations based on the ICA checklist (stage 1G & 3C), https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/travel-checklist:
Can we list her flat as our accommodations while we wait for ART result (which would be conducted Saturday morning)?

Just in case I have booked VTL hotel for 2 nights (free cancellation), but I'm worried about arrival declarations.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Has something changed? If one does NOT have to have been vaccinated in the last nine months then I'm booking a ticket right now! I am fully vaccinated but not boosted.
Presumably the problem you're going to face is with Trace Together - your vaccinated status will expire 270 days after your second shot:

https://support.tracetogether.gov.sg...en-my-booster-

Given that you can't enter almost any building without the app, I don't see how you could go there as a practical matter.
JNelson113 and crackjack like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:25 pm

Presumably the problem you're going to face is with Trace Together - your vaccinated status will expire 270 days after your second shot:

https://support.tracetogether.gov.sg...en-my-booster-

Given that you can't enter almost any building without the app, I don't see how you could go there as a practical matter.
I realized that about five minutes ago, doh! Thank you.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by bt_yyz
Planning to travel to SG in May, arriving on a Friday evening, 940pm on VTL flight from YVR (on SQ direct non-stop).
My wife and I are planning to stay with her sister (a LTPH, not SC or PR), who lives in a smallish flat (1.5 bdrm, 1 bath).

My question is about self-isolation accommodations based on the ICA checklist (stage 1G & 3C), https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/travel-checklist:
Can we list her flat as our accommodations while we wait for ART result (which would be conducted Saturday morning)?
Yes, you can use a family member’s /friend’s address as your accommodation if that is where you plan to stay and are able to self-isolate there (while not ideal, the guidance does note a shared bathroom is allowed).
Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I realized that about five minutes ago, doh! Thank you.
It may be worth making an enquiry for further clarification.
I saw this on page 12 of MOH's INFORMATION ON VACCINATION-DIFFERENTIATED SAFE MANAGEMENT MEASURES (SMMS) dated 25 Feb 2022 (https://file.go.gov.sg/vdsmminfo.pdf):
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
It may be worth making an enquiry for further clarification.
I saw this on page 12 of MOH's INFORMATION ON VACCINATION-DIFFERENTIATED SAFE MANAGEMENT MEASURES (SMMS) dated 25 Feb 2022 (https://file.go.gov.sg/vdsmminfo.pdf):
Thank you so much. I found the document, and it looks like they've updated to make it only those travelers who have taken two doses of Sinovac/Sinopharm, who are eligible for the 30 days. It's on page 6 here: https://file.go.gov.sg/vdsmminfo.pdf

Thank you!

Last edited by JNelson113; Mar 3, 2022 at 6:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.