Reload this Page >

Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Adding another data point from today: wheels down ~7:40am; swabbed by 8:30am; results back at 3:15pm. Seems PCR results may be taking a bit longer as traveler volume increases (it's the Singapore Air Show this week, a first big MICE test of this system). TraceTogether reflected vaccination status within 15m of clearing immigration.

Two other interesting things:
(1) immigration didn't check any of my vaccine/test/insurance paperwork, just scanned my passport, handed me a green sticker, and sent me along as if it were the Before Times; not sure what to make of this, as I saw them checking people in front of me in the queue.
(2) In addition to the PCR swab, I was also given an ART, with a paper from MOH saying they were trying to compare the accuracy. Seems like a positive sign that PCRs may go away soon.
Doppy likes this.

Last edited by Scifience; Feb 14, 2022 at 3:38 am
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Scifience
it's the Singapore Air Show this week,
For anyone flying in during this time you might be able to catch a glimpse of the 777-9 that's flown in for the show.

(2) In addition to the PCR swab, I was also given an ART, with a paper from MOH saying they were trying to compare the accuracy. Seems like a positive sign that PCRs may go away soon.
Yes, this has been reported locally. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...s-for-covid-19

Last edited by bpk6h; Feb 14, 2022 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by justlaz
Yup that's correct. Seems the turnaround based on a few testimonials is the turnaround is about 5 hours. After you get your results you can go about the city as normal.

As previously said there's quite a bit of paperwork you have to do like the VTP and acquire travel insurance among other things. But it's totally worth it, Singapore is one of my favorite cities and definitely pretty covid safe.
I went last week. It took me about an hour to assemble all the paperwork but there is an online checklist that guides you through it. It is TOTALLY worth it . . . I had an amazing time there. I can't wait to go again!
ESpen36 and boat stuck like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Yes, this has been reported locally. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...s-for-covid-19
Don’t understand this (especially when larger studies on PCR vs ART sensitivity have /are being conducted).

Who, especially a traveller who has spent $$$ & time on travel, is going to report themselves if they test positive? (Same thing with the 7 consecutive-day tests for arrivals via their VTLs.)

Either keep it an in-person PCR or similar, or remove the arrival testing requirement and solely rely on the pre-departure test.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by crackjack
Don’t understand this (especially when larger studies on PCR vs ART sensitivity have /are being conducted).

Who, especially a traveller who has spent $$$ & time on travel, is going to report themselves if they test positive? (Same thing with the 7 consecutive-day tests for arrivals via their VTLs.)

Either keep it an in-person PCR or similar, or remove the arrival testing requirement and solely rely on the pre-departure test.
To be honest, some of the covid protocols in SG didn't make any sense. In particular, wearing masks outdoors was ridiculous especially when they're not really limiting capacity indoors and you can generally have your mask off when you're inside a restaurant. I'm not anti mask, and being from SF I'm fairly comfortable wearing masks indoors, but wearing it outside where it's substantially safer to be maskless outside than it is inside is just nonsensical.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
To be honest, some of the covid protocols in SG didn't make any sense. In particular, wearing masks outdoors was ridiculous especially when they're not really limiting capacity indoors and you can generally have your mask off when you're inside a restaurant. I'm not anti mask, and being from SF I'm fairly comfortable wearing masks indoors, but wearing it outside where it's substantially safer to be maskless outside than it is inside is just nonsensical.
You also gotta love how seats were being neutralised in restaurants at times when diners were not supposed to form groups.
Instead of, for example, removing every other seat, they would neutralise full tables and allow 2 or 3 groups of 2 pax in a single table. Completely nonsensical.

But again, I haven't seen any country with fully sensible protocols in the past 2 years. SG is not that bad on the grand scheme of things.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:09 am

I believe the rule is that you can only take off your mask when eating or drinking (regardless of whether in a restaurant or outdoors), and must replace it when not doing so.

I guess people aren’t following it closely or it is not being enforced very strictly in restaurants (where you can argue you’re always just about to take a drink/ bite).
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
A few announcements today:
  • From 21 Feb, PCR on arrival no longer required; instead, supervised self-swab ART will be needed within 24h of arrival.
  • From 21 Feb, no daily ARTs for VTL travellers.
  • From 21 Feb, LTP holders will no longer need VTP or other approval.
  • From 22 Feb, no more VTL flight quotas.
  • From 25 Feb, new VTLs open with HK, Saudi, Qatar, and UAE.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...reased-2501801

Now, if SG would just do away with the outdoor mask rule...
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crackjack

Well it looks like you got your wish as reported above!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
How about making Japan VTL? Currently it's not possible to fly JAL on USA-NRT/HND-SIN as a tourist....
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So if we arrive at 7am do we still need to book the hotel for a day before to check in into the room as there is no need to lock yourself up anymore? that is if the room is ready at that time.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Well it looks like you got your wish as reported above!
Not really: supervised ARTs make more sense than self-administered ARTs, but I still think that you either have mandatory PCR tests (or something of a similar sensitivity, like this saliva test), or drop the requirement altogether.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
  • From 21 Feb, PCR on arrival no longer required; instead, supervised self-swab ART will be needed within 24h of arrival.

Masks even outside? So basically masks on at all times except in my room at the hotel?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:59 am

Mostly, yes.
https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/gene...quipment-(ppe)
Why and when must I wear a mask?
A: It is mandatory for all persons who are 6 years old and above to wear a mask when leaving their homes…

Everyone must wear a mask when outside of their homes. This applies on public transport, taxis, private hire cars, walking to or at markets, and also for permitted enterprise workers at all workplace premises, whether they are frontline staff (such as food handlers, cashiers and bus drivers) or performing back office functions (such as data entry personnel and payroll executives). Individuals may remove their mask while engaging in outdoor or strenuous exercise (e.g. running/ jogging/cycling, contact sports/games, static exercises and drills including taichi and qigong, brisk walking or walking up hilly terrain), but they must put it back on after completing exercise. Those walking at a normal pace would be required to wear a mask.
[Updated 9 Jul 2021] Do I have to keep my mask on when dining-in at F&B outlets?
Masks are required to be worn in F&B outlets. Diners should only take off masks when eating or drinking and put them back on after.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

I heard also that no more test will be required for transit pax on VTL flights. That would be really great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.