Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
As a data point I have just arrived in SIN from AU on a VTL flight. The process to get COVID tested was after immigration and was very quick. Whilst I was one of the first off the plane, there were at least 20 desks set up to check details, and a further 20 for the actual test. I was told that afternoons are generally quiet so YMMV.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:41 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask. We are US citizens traveling to Maldives with a 48hr stopover in Dubai. Will be in Maldives for 7 days before heading home through Singapore. I was hoping to do a stopover for 2 days in Singapore but since I stepped foot in Dubai (longer than 24hrs) in the past 14 days I will not be allowed in Singapore? Can anyone confirm?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Italian_Burrito
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask. We are US citizens traveling to Maldives with a 48hr stopover in Dubai. Will be in Maldives for 7 days before heading home through Singapore. I was hoping to do a stopover for 2 days in Singapore but since I stepped foot in Dubai (longer than 24hrs) in the past 14 days I will not be allowed in Singapore? Can anyone confirm?
That’s correct
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by crackjack
If you were referencing Singapore’s requirements, Singapore makes an allowance to its testing requirements if one leaves before the full 7 days of testing are up: the VTL rules state a newly-arriving traveller is exempt from the daily ART tests per clause 5/6 (though not the initial PCR test + subsequent self-isolation): https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/conditions

TH’s requirements suggest the prior 21 days must have been spent in a country on their ‘approved’ list. Not sure how that is managed if in multiple countries in that period.
Originally Posted by Guyin
The requirements for pre-departure is pretty straight forward, 24/48/72 or 1/2/3 days before departure time.

The official report will usually indicate the collection time, lab received time and report issued time. Some airlines take report issued time while most airlines required sample collection time.

As long as the report satisfied the airline/country requirements, you are good to go.
Originally Posted by stenning
sorry its a so confusing we really wanted to do this but I assumed you would have to stay in Singapore for 7 nights first?
Originally Posted by strickers
Why would you have to stay in Singapore for 7 nights?
I am still bit confused by the test rules in SIN.

Day 1, VTL flight from SFO arrival at SIN
Day 2, SIN-BKK (Two separate tickets SFO-SIN and SIN-BKK so I can't transit at SIN)
Day 6, VTL flight BKK-SIN
Day 8, SIN-SFO

Is this viable under current VTL rules? Do I need to be tested in SIN just twice? on Day 1 and Day 6?

Probably will get tested just twice in BKK on Day 2 and Day 5.

I just hope that one-ticket restriction on VTL flight transit can be lifted. Otherwise I would be forced to enter SIN.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992

Day 2, SIN-BKK (Two separate tickets SFO-SIN and SIN-BKK so I can't transit at SIN)
Day 8, SIN-SFO

Is this viable under current VTL rules? Do I need to be tested in SIN just twice? on Day 1 and Day 6?

I just hope that one-ticket restriction on VTL flight transit can be lifted. Otherwise I would be forced to enter SIN.
Pretty much OK I think, but remember you are entering Singapore twice, you will effectively start the ball rolling each time with exactly the same VTL requirements.

You will also need to follow the Thailand Test and Go requirements for Bangkok, which is PCR before leaving Singapore and PCR on arrival in Bangkok and on day 5. You need to book these with associated hotel stays, i.e. a hotel with test booked for day 1 and day 5 in Thailand.

Fundamentally, you are entering Singapore, then entering Thailand and then entering Singapore again. You will have to follow the Covid requirements for each of these trips.
crackjack likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Painful process to enter SIN twice
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver

Day 8, SIN-SFO

Technically you’ll need a third test in SIN on Day 7 in order to board SIN-SFO as well, but other than the quantity of tests required your plan seems fine
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:59 pm

I am also very confused. I arrive on a VTL flight on 3Apr , I will stay at an approved downtown hotel overnight and leave the next morning at 6am, meaning I will need to leave the hotel
probably around 0400.
I know your suppose to self-quarantine at the hotel until the arrival test results are in but what happens if I don't get my results back by 0400 will I not be able to go to the airport and
take my 0600 flight? Does anyone have any idea what might happen?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by yamauchig
I am also very confused. I arrive on a VTL flight on 3Apr , I will stay at an approved downtown hotel overnight and leave the next morning at 6am, meaning I will need to leave the hotel
probably around 0400.
I know your suppose to self-quarantine at the hotel until the arrival test results are in but what happens if I don't get my results back by 0400 will I not be able to go to the airport and
Leaving your hotel before the results arrive would be a clear breach of VTL rules. Breaking immigration/health rules might not be what you want to do in SG. Besides, your hotel should not even let you leave before you show them your negative result.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
probably around 0400.
What's the worst that could happen, get arrested for breaching VTL/immigration rules, miss your onward flight and get banned from ever entering Singapore again!
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

probably around 0400.
Originally Posted by maalloc
Leaving your hotel before the results arrive would be a clear breach of VTL rules. Breaking immigration/health rules might not be what you want to do in SG. Besides, your hotel should not even let you leave before you show them your negative result.
Originally Posted by strickers
What's the worst that could happen, get arrested for breaching VTL/immigration rules, miss your onward flight and get banned from ever entering Singapore again!
hmmm this sounds terrifying....

I have a similar plan arriving SIN on March 20 but fly to BKK on March 21 around 9am.

If I take a COVID test in the morning of March 20, when do I expect to get the result back?

Should I take a later flight (e.g. noon) to BKK?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:53 am

hmmm this sounds terrifying....

I have a similar plan arriving SIN on March 20 but fly to BKK on March 21 around 9am.

If I take a COVID test in the morning of March 20, when do I expect to get the result back?

Should I take a later flight (e.g. noon) to BKK?
A few weeks ago, it was written online that test results would be sent "within a few hours". When I arrived at SIN, health workers told me to expect a result "within 24h".
Turns out it took approximately 12h, but that's just a single data point. That's certainly long for a few hours and took me by surprise.

So a < 24h stopover including transit time from/to airport is definitely on the risky side. Any extra time buffer you can get is good. Another option: just aim for your 9am flight and be ready to not be able to catch it. Depending on your current airline policies, that might or might not be a big deal to postpone the ticket to the next day.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few weeks ago, it was written online that test results would be sent "within a few hours". When I arrived at SIN, health workers told me to expect a result "within 24h".
Turns out it took approximately 12h, but that's just a single data point. That's certainly long for a few hours and took me by surprise.

So a < 24h stopover including transit time from/to airport is definitely on the risky side. Any extra time buffer you can get is good. Another option: just aim for your 9am flight and be ready to not be able to catch it. Depending on your current airline policies, that might or might not be a big deal to postpone the ticket to the next day.
Thank you.

My SFO-SIN arrives at 6 AM. Maybe I should take 12:00 noon flight next day.

This should be enough right? Still not booked yet.
JessicaTam likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:20 am

Thank you.

My SFO-SIN arrives at 6 AM. Maybe I should take 12:00 noon flight next day.

This should be enough right? Still not booked yet.
It should be, yes. That said if you arrive that early in the morning you'd have to be unlucky not to have received it by the next day.

I'm flying to SIN tomorrow, will let you know if I see or hear more up-to-date information at the airport (though I won't be able to give you another data point since I'll just enter as recovered pax and skip the arrival test).
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:49 am

Oh my. Thanks for the heads up I will have to rethink my schedule, so happy I saw this thread.
maalloc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.