Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I assume when completing the VTL application you put the arriving country as the country you have JUST flown from? My booking is ARN-DOH-SIN so even though Sweden is a VTL country I would put Qatar on the application?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
I assume when completing the VTL application you put the arriving country as the country you have JUST flown from? My booking is ARN-DOH-SIN so even though Sweden is a VTL country I would put Qatar on the application?
Qatar will be VTL on Feb 25. In your scenario it sounds like you are departing from ARN and Doha is a transit only. When are you departing? Initially we were departing from ARN and FRA was transit, so our departing country would be ARN.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Qatar will be VTL on Feb 25. In your scenario it sounds like you are departing from ARN and Doha is a transit only. When are you departing? Initially we were departing from ARN and FRA was transit, so our departing country would be ARN.
Correct. Doha is the transit. This is for later in March!
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Correct. Doha is the transit. This is for later in March!

ARN point of departure
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:15 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Hi All - I have seen the news about the end of requirements for pre-departure testing for transit passengers, however, I'm unclear on whether this includes VTL flights? I have booked a flight from LHR to MEL (one ticket) with SQ and both flights (LHR-SIN & SIN-MEL) are VTL flights.

Do I need a pre-departure test or an arrival rapid test in Singapore (even though I'm only transiting)?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi All - I have seen the news about the end of requirements for pre-departure testing for transit passengers, however, I'm unclear on whether this includes VTL flights? I have booked a flight from LHR to MEL (one ticket) with SQ and both flights (LHR-SIN & SIN-MEL) are VTL flights.

Do I need a pre-departure test or an arrival rapid test in Singapore (even though I'm only transiting)?
in essence, I think it applies only to VTL flights, otherwise I am loosing the logic of the measure. But I am sure Australia requires a test, do they ? If yes, it doesn’t change anything for you as you will need a pre-departure test. The suppression of the need of a test to transit in SIN is beneficial only if your destination country does not require a test. That’s my understanding.
HB7 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:30 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Goldorak
in essence, I think it applies only to VTL flights, otherwise I am loosing the logic of the measure. But I am sure Australia requires a test, do they ? If yes, it doesn’t change anything for you as you will need a pre-departure test. The suppression of the need of a test to transit in SIN is beneficial only if your destination country does not require a test. That’s my understanding.
Yes that's actually a good point. Australia does need a test, so it doesn't matter I guess for me.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:27 am

how to prove 7 day history when there is no history?

Hi there,
I have the following question: a family member who is in the US about to fly to SIN on a VTL flight noticed the following on an email from SQ regarding the VTL flights: requirement to 'possess a 7-day travel history prior to departure comprising only of Singapore, any VTL countries and/or Cat. 1 countries/regions'

He has only been in the US in that period and has had no travel per se, so how does he prove his non-existent travel history?
Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Hi there,
He has only been in the US in that period and has had no travel per se, so how does he prove his non-existent travel history?
Thanks!
I doubt they would ask for evidence of being in your country of residence.

I think they would only be concerned if you are departing from another country, but in that case you would have evidence of when you arrived there.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by supine
I doubt they would ask for evidence of being in your country of residence.

I think they would only be concerned if you are departing from another country, but in that case you would have evidence of when you arrived there.
That totally makes sense, but any data points of people being asked? It would be stupid to miss out on the flight just because there is a missing requirement...
I guess showing passport stamps and lack thereof is the best way to prove that?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
That totally makes sense, but any data points of people being asked? It would be stupid to miss out on the flight just because there is a missing requirement...
I guess showing passport stamps and lack thereof is the best way to prove that?
There's no way to prove it and they don't ask, you just have to certify it on the online arrival card.

Entry stamps can't prove a negative because not all countries stamp your passport when you enter or leave. The most the stamps could do is prove you're lying if you do happen to have a stamp.

Just make sure there are no typos in the various online forms you have to fill out! I had a typo in my passport number on one of the forms; the airline didn't catch it at check in, but at passport control they saw right away there was an issue because the form wasn't showing up when they scanned my passport. They sent me to the desk to resolve, which only two a few minutes, fortunately.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
There's no way to prove it and they don't ask, you just have to certify it on the online arrival card.

Entry stamps can't prove a negative because not all countries stamp your passport when you enter or leave. The most the stamps could do is prove you're lying if you do happen to have a stamp.

Just make sure there are no typos in the various online forms you have to fill out! I had a typo in my passport number on one of the forms; the airline didn't catch it at check in, but at passport control they saw right away there was an issue because the form wasn't showing up when they scanned my passport. They sent me to the desk to resolve, which only two a few minutes, fortunately.
many thanks for the info and advice!!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:16 pm

I'm looking at two options for mid-March. I'm a U.S citizen.

1) Fly to Singapore from the U.S to be with my girlfriend (we've been apart for almost 2 years).

2) Fly via Singapore from U.S to Philippines to see family. If I go this route, there would be a 16 hour layover in Singapore. Would there be some way I could stay in Singapore for 16 hours at a hotel without having to do the insurance requirement and COVID testing? So far the best flight options to Philippines are via Singapore, but I just don't know whether a 16 hour layover is possible with meeting all VTL requirements.

What are the chances that by mid-March the VTL requirements go away and just COVID test and vaccine certificate is good enough?

I'm really unsure how to plan this as other flight options to Philippines are expensive and long.

In other words, either I'm going to Singapore and then to Philippines (maybe 2 months later) or I'm going to Philippines and then to Singapore (maybe 2 months later).. but right now the best flights I can find to Philippines would be via Singapore with that 12-16 hour layover. hmmm
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it be a single ticket from the US to the Philippines, connecting in Singapore, or separate tickets?

Under current rules a 16 hour layover on a separate ticket would be easy - just spend the extra few dollars on insurance and an arrival antigen test and you won't have to isolate at all. That's a long enough layover that you can enjoy the city some.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ESpen36
How about making Japan VTL? Currently it's not possible to fly JAL on USA-NRT/HND-SIN as a tourist....
Could someone else confirm this is true?

We're looking to visit The Philippines in June, and spend a few days either before or after in Singapore. We have found great flights to and from Singapore on JAL, and planned to buy separate tix on SQ to and from The Philippines.

I was checking the guidance online and couldn't figure out if this was doable under the current rules, but definitely noted Japan wasn't VTL. Any idea why?

Obviously rules may change between now and then, but we'd prefer to book something permissible now and hope the rules don't change for the worse.

Thank you in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.