Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Does that mean that mile expiration was not extended?
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I must be one of the few to have missed out. My status runs out in April 2021 (off my own earnings, not due to extension) so I will get nothing extra, despite the likelihood that I won't be able to fly for some time due to Singapore transit restrictions.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire, CX Diamond, BA Executive Club Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Bravo Singapore Airlines for the status extension which will give me a good extension to my PPS Club Solitaire tier status.

Here is an extract of SQ CEO's letter:

Dear Mr SQ PPS Club Solitaire,

I hope you and your loved ones are well in these extraordinary times.

Few, if any, of us could have imagined a global pandemic like this as country after country bans international travel due to a viral outbreak. While the measures to contain Covid-19 have been taken from a public health perspective, they have crippled the airline industry and presented us at Singapore Airlines with the greatest challenge in our history.

Our customers and staff always remain our top-priority. That principle guided many of our decisions over the last two months as we responded to the increasingly global scale of the outbreak, as well as the growing number of border closures that have decimated air travel.

We know that you trust us to deliver a safe flying experience and ground environment. That is why we modified our in-flight service to reduce the risks to our customers and crew while in the air, and stepped up our cleaning and disinfection procedures both in the aircraft and our ground facilities such as the SilverKris lounges.

Even as we scaled back our operations due to the borders closures, we understood that many of you and your loved ones needed to return home as soon as possible. And you trusted us to make that possible. That is why, despite the fast deteriorating operating economics, we persisted with services to key cities for as long as we could.

We have received many encouraging notes from our customers over the last few weeks. Thank you, your warm words of appreciation mean a great deal to us during this trying time.

At the same time, we also know that many of you have been adversely affected by the large-scale flight cancellations. I sincerely apologise for this.

Our teams have received an unprecedented volume of calls, messages and emails over the last few weeks. While we ramped up the handling capacity at our customer services centres, a few of our overseas contact centre operations were disrupted by government-imposed lockdowns. As a result, we know that we might have caused you considerable frustration and anxiety. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we do everything we can to support your needs, and respond to you as soon as possible.

In view of the uncertainty amid the Covid-19 outbreak, the value of the unused portion of your tickets will be retained as flight credits when your flight has been cancelled or if you would like to postpone your travel. You can use those credits to make a new booking any time from now until 31 March 2021. We have also waived no-show and rebooking fees. Please contact us here when you firm up your new travel plans.

I would also like to share that we will automatically renew all KrisFlyer Elite and PPS Club membership statuses for another 12 months at the end of your respective membership year. This applies to all memberships expiring from March 2020 through to February 2021. The validity of any expiring PPS and Elite Gold Rewards will also be extended until 31 March 2021. You can find out more here.

This is a small token of our appreciation for your loyalty and support, which we value greatly as we work hard to get through this outbreak.

For more than 70 years, SIA has set the standard for in-flight products and services in the aviation industry. It remains unclear when the Covid-19 outbreak will be brought under control. But when it does, you can be sure that we will be ready to welcome you back on board and deliver, once again, the exceptional service that you have come to expect and are familiar with.

Until then, please stay safe and healthy.

Yours Sincerely,

Goh Choon Phong
CEO, Singapore Airlines
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tbm13
My question as well....not particularly familiar with the program but did have miles expiring yesterday. I agree the statement isn't clear on that.

Booked a couple of flights as speculation and figured I'd pay change fees later, but if miles are extended I may cancel and redposit.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I called in yesterday (March 31) when miles were expiring, and was able to get a one time waiver for an extension of 6 months! Extension already shows in my account. I was amazed that I was able to get a competent agent and no hold time. Thanks SIA!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
I am 152 miles from upgrading to Gold, and the qualification period ends at the end of this month. Will I retain the qualifying miles for another 12 months or will I just stay Silver and have my qualifying miles expire?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by AJ747M
I am 152 miles from upgrading to Gold, and the qualification period ends at the end of this month. Will I retain the qualifying miles for another 12 months or will I just stay Silver and have my qualifying miles expire?
Based on my understanding on the email, I think you will stay silver and hand hour qualifying miles expired. (You might want to contact SQ to see whether they will extend it out of goodwill)
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:22 pm

same question
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by definitelynotafrequentflyer
Based on my understanding on the email, I think you will stay silver and hand hour qualifying miles expired. (You might want to contact SQ to see whether they will extend it out of goodwill)
Thanks. I gave them a call, and the agent I spoke with has made a request to upgrade the status. Will hear back next week.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:14 pm

My krisflyer account says i need required: 5,711 elite miles by 31 Aug 20. If i earn before 31st August then I will be able ot earn silver status.

i had plan and didnt book on singapore flights just to get elite miles due to flights be cancel till may. And i will not be able to fly anytime.

Is there a way i can get my earn elite mies expiration date extended ??
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:32 pm

Darn, I seem to miss out on the extension as my current PPS membership expires on March 2021. I'll definitely be asking for an extension when the time comes as its unlikely there will be much travel in the next 12 months unless the situation miraculously improves.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:14 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Well, SQ was kind enough to send me this email today:

Dear TA

Thank you for your support of Singapore Airlines.

You have KrisFlyer miles that will be expiring between April and August 2020.

In view of the Covid-19 outbreak, we will be extending the validity period of your KrisFlyer miles by six months, and they will expire between October 2020 and February 2021 respectively. For example, KrisFlyer miles expiring on 30 April 2020 will now be valid until 31 October 2020 after the extension.

The extended validity of your expiring KrisFlyer miles will be reflected in your Kris Flyer account statement at the end of each respective month. Please click here for details.

You can also find more information on various ways you can utilise your KrisFlyer miles here.

We hope the above measures will offer you more flexibility in utilising your miles before they expire.

Yours Sincerely,
KrisFlyer Membership Services
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TA
Well, SQ was kind enough to send me this email today:
I got this too. I had 500 pts expire on Mar 31, wonder if they'd revive those.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
I'm happy to hear that they are extending mile expiration.

Unfortunately, the new policy doesn't make any sense whatsoever: if you had an award ticket with miles expiring in June and those miles are redeposited, then SQ will extend until June (2 months) according to an email they sent me. But if you had miles in your account that expire in April, you get an extension until October (6 month).

How is that consistent?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:43 pm

I'm happy to hear that they are extending mile expiration.

Unfortunately, the new policy doesn't make any sense whatsoever: if you had an award ticket with miles expiring in June and those miles are redeposited, then SQ will extend until June (2 months) according to an email they sent me. But if you had miles in your account that expire in April, you get an extension until October (6 month).

How is that consistent?
read through the FAQ. But only apply for those tickets cancelled n redeposited after 9/April.
so those who cancelled before 9/apr will get nothing if their miles have expired unless they convert it to open dated ticket previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.